Thieving at night stopovers

sirhandel

Just seen a report on BBC news - lorry cargo theft and hijacking is a big increasing problem whilst parked overnight. This ranges from sneak theft to threats with baseball bats and bricks through windows. The common theme was insufficient parking opportunities and lack of security. One lorry driver suggested that Park&Ride facilities should be opened up at night that could be monitored fairly easily by CCTV. Could be useful for Motorhomes?

Yes but it will only happen if there is persistent pressure at local level. You only have to see the lack of interest on the thread "aires for England" to see that when it comes to action there is none, when it comes to whinging and whining there is pages of it. Draw your own conclusion.

Roy Fuller

There are only about 60 or 70 councils providing P&R schemes in England, Scotland and Wales. Of those some operate only at weekends and some only at certain times of the year (e.g. the run up to Christmas). It would be great if all were like Canterbury but the vast majority of P&Rs are closed overnight so there would be a cost to opening them and somebody (probably the council tax payer in the absence of direct charging) would have to pay that cost.

Some councils already provide truckstops and there are quite a lot of privately owned ones of course. There are details on the Highways Agency web site and other sites like the Transport Cafe List. Many of those can be used by motorhomes as well.

According to the BBC Report the problem seems to be worse in laybys so the question could be asked why the drivers stopped in laybys rather than using a truckstop.

Having said that, the driver interviewed is quoted as saying "I was in the back of the trailer loading it up and two guys smashed the windows of my cab and absolutely cleaned me out". I should have thought loading would take place at some sort of depot where security would be the responsibility of the company which owns it. That, then, would tend to indicate a more widespread problem for truckers than simply overnighting.

It's to be hoped that a solution can be found soon but, as Roy points out, provision of overnighting facilities will only happen as a result of constructive effort.

Graham

Please don't knock people for what may appear to be apathy. Many, like myself, have spent their entire life trying to change the system for the better and realise that our opinions count for nought. Have spent many wasted hours at neighbourhood/local meetings trying to sort out local safety issues, stop the closure of care homes, etc., demand street lighting in mugging areas and so on and so on. They send a representative and nothing happens. I wish I could have those wasted hours back now added on to my life to enjoy.

I must have a full tree in my compost made up of standard, pre-printed cards from the Government and local councils. :'(

Personally I don't mind apathy. Nor do I mind people not being bothered about being unable to overnight anywhere other than official (permanent or temporary) camp sites.

What does become a bit wearing, though, is seeing posts from people who are happy to whinge about "them" (whoever "they" are) not allowing overnighting but would run a mile before putting any effort into positive efforts to persuade "them" to make provision.

Graham

Personally I don't see the attraction of camping overnight in a car park or as some photos show of the French Aires, squeezed together like sardines in a glorified car park just to save a few pounds on campsite fees.

I'd much rather stay on a quiet, secure relatively cheap CL type campsite than be worried about possible theft and the disturbance of lorries coming and going at all sorts of times through the night.

isnt a CL type campsite (5 vans or less) a cheap english option for members of caravan clubs? i dont think they would be a viable independant proposition., and i may be wrong, but i diont think they exist abroad?? the nearest thing in france would be an aire!!! but without the caravan club control. perhaps it would be wiser to try aires rather than look at pictures, before you castigate them. there are many people on this forum who will tell you how good aires can be. (lol)

am i going to get a hammering for this :D

Yes CL/CS sites are club sites in quiet scenic areas and not unprotected concrete car parks!

I stayed on Municipal campsites in France, the price ranging form 3 - 7.50 Euros per night including hot showers.

I agree looking at pictures may not tell the whole story, but from what I've seen, the ones in the most popular areas look like they're crammed into a car park.

Personally I'd rather have some space and grass under my feet. B-)

Horses for courses though

The whole point about aires is that for some people who are touring and only want somewhere they can pull up at late at night (when sites are closed) and be off the next morning, aires are great for this, they cost little or nothing and when all said and done - when you are asleep in your bed, does it matter whether you are on tarmac or grass? However, this is not everybody's way of travelling and in that case they wish to have a site or CL where there is more of a view.

But then people sit beside their motorhome quite happy doing nowt, when they could be out exploring a little village and the true culture of another country from an aire? It's all down to what you want and what you feel happy with. We are all different and use our motorhomes in different ways.

I wonder if there are any statistics available which would give any indication as to the numbers of thefts from certain types of location. Is it a protection to be with others, or does that act like a magnet to thieves because there are more pickings. Any thieves out there who could tell us?

Roy Fuller

There are good and bad aires ... these are some of the wonderful ones we stayed at on our French holiday recently - most were free, the best was no 1 though - it was totally free, with free water, toilets if we wanted them (left open all night) and best of all - free wonderful hot showers!!!! We didn't know about it being free until we got there and the very nice young lady who looked after the kiosk told us - it was there mainly for the boats but they actively encouraged motorhomes to use the facilities - if you wanted there was also a washing machine/drier and electric (charged for).

342660000_AIRE1.jpg.9813975d77e09a77eed5a4a096602a46.jpg

2043614899_AIRE2.jpg.9d6e8c49918652376c40673370885269.jpg

2018342656_AIRE3.jpg.d70630a79104d0070b4acc76a3870730.jpg

1170046611_AIRE4.jpg.f3d2017847fad60da1b9368c689d5e86.jpg

re:parking in laybys for trucks overnight..they have to as all the truckstops are not only expensive but full by 5pm..not every truck starts or stops at the same time..(been a truck driver my self)plus a truck driver sometimes runs out of driving hours due to some problem like hold ups,so has to stop where he can...

jayeastanglia - 2009-08-04 7:57 AM

re:parking in laybys for trucks overnight..they have to as all the truckstops are not only expensive but full by 5pm..not every truck starts or stops at the same time..(been a truck driver my self)plus a truck driver sometimes runs out of driving hours due to some problem like hold ups,so has to stop where he can...

I understand the points but would say:

1) Cost. If the cost of theft is so much it should be cheaper for the haulage companies to ensure that drivers' expenses are sufficient to pay for truckstops.

2) If there are insufficient truckstops then companies could get together to offer reciprocal overnight stops in their yards.

Neither of those measures would stop a driver running out of hours because of hold-ups of course but they could mitigate the situation - and at no cost to the taxpayer.

Graham

GJH - 2009-08-04 8:46 AM

jayeastanglia - 2009-08-04 7:57 AM

I understand the points but would say:

1) Cost. If the cost of theft is so much it should be cheaper for the haulage companies to ensure that drivers' expenses are sufficient to pay for truckstops.

2) If there are insufficient truckstops then companies could get together to offer reciprocal overnight stops in their yards.

Neither of those measures would stop a driver running out of hours because of hold-ups of course but they could mitigate the situation - and at no cost to the taxpayer.

Graham

I like your thoughts Graham in point 2, but how could a foreign truck driver

participate in the yard scheme? In our area there are a large number of foreign trucks that are in the laybys.

jayeastanglia - 2009-08-04 12:07 PM

operators licence may not allow night time sleeping in the yards as a operators licence only allows a certain number of trucks at any 1 time overnight in there yard.

Interesting point, and I guess to up the amount of trucks at night would cost the company more?

jayeastanglia - 2009-08-04 12:07 PM

operators licence may not allow night time sleeping in the yards as a operators licence only allows a certain number of trucks at any 1 time overnight in there yard.

Fair enough. I expect companies could get together with their local councils, though, to see if there is any brownfield land available which they could buy to set up a facility.

Graham

Rapido-lass - 2009-08-04 9:17 AM

I like your thoughts Graham in point 2, but how could a foreign truck driver

participate in the yard scheme? In our area there are a large number of foreign trucks that are in the laybys.

Let's make it an international scheme :-) I'm all for international co-operation :-)

Graham

hi mel b

glad to hear you enjoyed your hol even though you had to modify your original plan for italy

we were following your posts on your purchase of solar panel and lpg

we purchased both from pickering show and were wondering how you had got on....your post on lpg was most helpful.....how did the solar panel perform?

we are going to italy via eastern france ...the aires look lovely...always better than relying on the description in the books

if you could post the details we would appreciate it

thanks

berti

Hi Berti

I'll try to dig out some info and photos on the aires for you.

As for the solar panel, it worked a treat, keeping the batteries nicely charged up at all times. Hubby didn't fret at all (he's a worry-wart!) and on some days we didn't do much travelling at all to top the batteries up so it was nice not to have to be 'careful' with the good old 12v.

The bigger test will be when we go to Scotland at the end of next week for 2 weeks as I'm sure we'll have to put the heating on at some point and that really does make a draw on the battery power.

Archived