Dethleff Fortero H6945 any body got one?

AnnPaul

:-D :-D

Mel would love to hear what you think of your twin wheeled Ford Transit,as we intend to purchase very very soon if we get good reports on the Ford.

How does it drive, MPG etc etc

Regards

Paul and Ann

We have the Mk6 version (Mk7 is the latest one that looks like Postman Pat's van!). It's pretty similar as far as I'm aware in many respects - we have the floor mounted gear lever but don't find it a problem at all ... except when hubby bashed the cruise control lever and snapped it off >:-). I believe the Mk7 version is a bit more refined but the Mk6 isn't a problem for us.

It's got the 2.4 engine and goes like a dream - even though we have a large 2007 Rimor Sailer (7.14m) and it is faster than the 2003 Fiat 2.3 JTD we had previously with a shorter Rapido (5.53m) motorhome and we thought THAT was good!

We've found the twin rear wheels have made it very stable indeed and traction isn't an issue at all ... my hubby is desparate to 'try' to get stuck on a grass pitch just to be able to zoom off it and put all the front wheel drive Fiat based van's to shame!!! :D It goes like a train and is very sure-footed.

As for MPG ... let's just say that my husband has a concrete right foot shall we! However, we've just come back from a 3 week holiday in France and have covered around 2000 miles from home and back and have averaged 25 mpg, now bearing in mind that my hubby likes to get to places quickly and we went up loads of very large hills (some small mountains!) and into lots of gorges etc, lots of very twisty roads, this isn't bad at all, I reckon if he'd had a lighter foot we'd have been getting more like 28mpg.

We'd certainly look to get another Ford based motorhome without any concerns at all in the future.

Thanks Mel,

All you information was very good it seems that we are off tomorrow when we hope to clinch a deal. Of course this means a big hole in our bank balance (but hell you can't take it with you). Any donations for our very good cause should be sent to our bank++++++++++++++++

Kind regards

Paul and Ann

Hi

Hope it works out for you tomorrow, just a couple of bits of advice:

1) finance - be wary of taking out finance with the dealer - they may try to beat any bank loan but there are strings attached - when you get finance form a dealer it is on the motorhome and you do not own it until the very last payment is made and usually a final 'admin' fee. With a bank loan obviously you own the motorhome as soon as you hand the money over. What this means is that if you decide in a couple of years or so to change the van again you don't have to settle the outstanding 'dealer' loan which can make quite a bit of difference.

2) Make sure you have a really good look at the build quality of the Fortero, the last one I saw, which we were seriously considering buying at first, really did have some questionable build quality issues which is why we didn't buy one in the end - this was 2 years ago so hopefully it will be better now. As you are changing form a Rapido though, you might notice the difference - we did.

I run a twin-wheel rear Transit model and have been very pleased with it. For an overcab it's very stable in crosswinds and it's great for towing.

Mpg isn't the best (I've done 22mpg best, 19mpg when towing the racecar), but 3,850kg vehicles with bulbous overcabs are never going to be the most frugal beasts, anyway.

It has softer suspension that the Fiats, too. Test the driving position - the Transit with swivel seats an be too high for some.

Another great benefit to a twin rear wheel model is that you actually get six wheels (the rears are just two front wheels butted together). So even if you have two punctured tyres, in an emergency you can always swap wheels around to have a running set of four...

Hope this helps

Peter R

• 1 year later...

Archived