Automatic levelling systems

the crumblies

Hi Y'all. As I get older, frailer and more useless, I find that the system of driving up onto little plastic ramps is less & less satisfactory. I have chassis-mounted caravan-style jacks at the back, but at best they can (and should) only actually lift the fan by a few millimetres. However, it's nearly always the front that needs raising, as the 'van has a bit of tail-up stance. I've heard odd bits about built-in electric or hydraulic lifting systems - does anyone have any knowldege or experience? It's not exactly new thinking - my Dad's 1936 MG had a great system with an engine-driven compressor controlled by a little lever by the gearshift, which could lift any or all four wheels.

Regards and thanks in hope!

Hi & welcome

Just a quick note. The rear steadies should be used as just that, to give a more steady feel to the rear end of your motorhome, whilst parked, and should not be used to try and level the van even by a few inches.

As for auto leveling jacks, we looked at these once at a show and decided that for what they cost, we might as well carry on using the ramps that we carry with us.The cost looked very prohibitive unless you were going to be parked up in the one spot for a long time, and wanted to raise your tyres off the ground by a few milimeters.

We're not too bothered about it being perfectly level whilst parked up. Don't even carry a small pocket sized leveling indicactor!!

I think it's up to the individual, but I see very few of these systems being used either over here or on the continent. It is up to you to decide if it's value for money for the amount of times that you will use them.

Sorry to sound like a kill joy.

Thai

Thanks for that, Thai Bry. Yes, as I said in my post, the rear jacks should not be used for levelling. They are however very good at stopping the famous Boxer suspension creak, referred to in at least two other current threads!

I'm interested to hear from someone who has actually considered automatic levelling systems. My wife's afflictions require her to have a bed that is dead level in order to sleep, so it's more important for us than for most. Can you remember the name of the company marketing the system that you saw?

Regards & thanks

Hey, thanks Derek. Your post arrived while I was responding to Thai Bry. That's just what I needed. I don't need all the fancy gadgets like self-levelling, it only takes a few seconds with a 4-way valve and a spirit level, so maybe I can derive a scaled-down version for a less eye-watering cost! the crucial thing is knowing where to get the jacks and pump.

One happy camper :-D

the crumblies - 2009-07-31 6:45 PM

my Dad's 1936 MG had a great system with an engine-driven compressor controlled by a little lever by the gearshift, which could lift any or all four wheels.

Just for the record, I think the system was hydraulic rather than pneumatic - Smiths Jackall IIRC. So it would have been an engine driven pump rather than a compressor. I believe there was a hand-pumped version available also. My father had a Morris 10 that had originally had the system installed, although most of it had been removed by the time dad got it.

Oh dear, sloppy terminology on my part, I'm afraid - compressor and pump are NOT the same thing. That's what I like about these forums, there's always someone who knows just that little bit more, and is prepared to remind you :-S . Thanks for the guidance! Yes, it was Jackall. Of course nowadays no-one would dream of changing a wheel, just wait for the roadside rescue service. And that's progress! Two little stories about that, cos I'm feeling expansive today...

1. My neighbour left the house to go to work recently, only to find the car had a flat tyre. A quick call to hubbie on the mobile revealed that they weren't covered for callouts at home. So she got into the car, drove it on the flat to the supermarket, and then called the RAC. Result, £200 to replace the alloy wheel....

2. When we picked up out current van from the dealer, I enquired how to get at and release the spare wheel. Response, "Now why would you need to know that, Sir?" *-)

Best wishes and thanks for your post.

Yes, I'm afraid I'm in the old school that still changes their own wheels as & when necessary. Last year, my daughter had a puncture just after leaving our house. She'd got about a mile away. So what did she do? Why, called dad of course, & I ended up fitting her spacesaver.

We went on a tour of Scotland in May & in preparation I removed the spare wheel from it's location up behind the back axle. Firstly, to ensure that I had all the tools necessary & knew how to remove it if needed. Secondly to ensure it had plenty of pressure. Thirdly, so that I could establish the unladen weight of the MH.

Fortunately, no need to use it in anger yet, but I'm one of those people who hates to be stuck without the necesary tools or whatever. (lol)

Archived