polution badge for germany

calypso

Hi everybody can anyone tell me is it a simple procedure to get a polution badge in Germany we've not been to Germany before , we will probably stay out of towns but knowing my map reading who knows where we could end up. Is it best to get one right away or when your approaching one of these towns??? Thanks in advance for your help Jean

It is best to get one asap then you don't need to panic when approaching a town.

Just call in to a TUV test station - they are usually well sign posted. Take your log book and about 5 euros and you will be issued with a sticker - If your 'van is a new one you should get a green class 4 - You can go anywhere then.

See http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9527&posts=17

If this dammed practice of having special zones continues, we soon will be unable to see out of the windscreen as there will be so many stickers there will not be any viewing area left.

Switzerland has a motorway sticker, so does Austria, Germany now has a pollution zone sticker and so soon will London, add on your tax disc and things are starting to get grim >:-)

You can also apply online, sorry can't remember web address, but google it and you can download a form and email form and copies of log book etc. They send you badge and invoice for ammount. This way it is done before going away and one less thing to worry about. You also have badge for the life of the motorhome.

You can get one in any car showroom that's how we got ours.

The only problem we had was we were on the eastern side of Germany they didn't speak English & we don't speak German and I had to convince them that our van was EURO IV compliant as UK registration document for a Motor Caravan doesn't give any co2 figures.

calypso - 2009-08-02 4:10 PM

Hi sounds like a good idea to get one before we go but I've just googled it and its coming up at 29 and 39 euros I thought I read where they are 5 or 10 pounds????

I believe if you go in and get one in Germany they are between 5 and 10 euros. We applied for ours on the internet (TUV Nord) and it was 10 Euros. I thought that for piece of mind and getting it before hand it was ok. When I paid the invoice I sent the euros in notes rather than paying by credit card as this worked out more expensive.

Hi thank you everybody for your help.probably would send for it before we go but by the time I've got info on how to pay for it {Iban etc .....wish I'd attempted this tecnology lark sooner...}It will be too late ..we set off next week,we will just have to hope we come across a car show room before a town but thanks again Jean

Depending on where you enter Germany just call at the 1st TUV station (Google TUV and the name of the town and you should get an address for the nearest) e.g. Aachen (on the border) the address is: Hubert Wienen Str. 36

52070 Aachen.

TUV is the same as our MOT. Take your log book in with you - should be no problem at all.

Dont forget folks, you only need them in certain city centers.

If you stay out of the city centers you dont need one at all.

That also applies to the Caravan exibition in Düsseldorf. If you drive to the exibition area from the motorway you dont need a sticker.

Herri

If you are travelling in Germany it is well worth getting one as more cities are being added to the list all the time.

We drove by one relatively small town that we would not have expected to require it but there signs on the Autobahn stating pollution badge required.

As I said in an earlier post just go into any car dealer & it's only 5€. Most of the car dealers are on the main arteries into the towns.

I thought Berlin was one of the cities where the sticker was required. When I was there in June I travelled in and out to the city centre a couple of times on my scooter ( stickers not required for motorcycles or scooters ) and I looked for any of the Umweltzone signs and did not see any.

It's strange that motorcycles, some of which have bigger engines than a lot of small cars, are not required to display a sticker. Some 2 strokes are often seen disappearing in a cloud of smoke at 130 decibels.

Phil.

We had difficulty in obtaining a polution badge in germany in spite of advice published in this forum.

We were travelling and eventually had to go to DEKRA in Bueckeberg as VW dealer would/could not help. The UK documents caused all sorts of bother because they do not include the necessary information and this could not be picked up from the internet either. We eventually obtained one but it was a struggle and caused a lot of frustration to a very helpful mechanic. We think it was the emissions, as those for a van and those for one with a motorhome on its chassis are probably different.

My advice would be obtain one in advance as we spent a lot of time chasing around.

Joyce

They queried the emissions with us as UK document for a Motor Caravan does not give co2 emissions, I told them it was Euro IV & pointed out the date of registration, may be more difficult with an older vehicle.

If you have a problem just go to the next car showroom there is always a number of them next to each other.

Hi

We downloaded an application form from:

http://www.stadt-koeln.de/en/lowemissionzone/article/11609/index.html#sm1

and then sent it off with a photocopy of the V5 and a €5 note and eight days later the cat 4 disc thingy arrived in the post.

By the way, the disc should be stuck on the right hand side of the windscreen (from the drivers point of view) as low down as possible.

Peter

Referring to Rupert123 posting of 2 Aug 4.57pm, I have downloaded and printed the sticker application form, but can anyone tell me how to get/use the method of payment they ask for, ie International Bank Account Number (IBAN) and Bank Identification Code (BIC)? Is there a charge for using these services?

Ta, Neil B

armstrongpiper - 2009-08-04 8:47 PM

Referring to Rupert123 posting of 2 Aug 4.57pm, I have downloaded and printed the sticker application form, but can anyone tell me how to get/use the method of payment they ask for, ie International Bank Account Number (IBAN) and Bank Identification Code (BIC)? Is there a charge for using these services?

Ta, Neil B

Yes there is a charge, and for memory quite a lot, which is why I sent the payment in Euro notes and took a chance with the postal service. It got there no problem and saved me the charges. They emailed me once they had received the payment.

Archived