Do we need 2 caravan clubs?

Ned Swift

I wonder, being a new member in my first year I fully subscribed to taking care of the facilities, mopping shower cubicles after use, trying not to break toilet seats off their hinges etc etc

But after 15 nights in CC's capable and loving arms, am I wondering if I am in the minority?

One CC for those who haven't heard of a toilet brush and a CC for those that use a better grade of Virgin Olive Oil?

Ned (I getting out more)

Ned Swift - 2009-08-01 9:42 PM

One CC for those who haven't heard of a toilet brush and a CC for those that use a better grade of Virgin Olive Oil?

Ned (I getting out more)

If I'm understanding you correctly, you would never find that the 'haven't heard of a toilet brush' brigade would admit to being in that camp and would hence automatically sign up as a virgin Olive Oil! So the situation would be the same, unless the CC is going to adopt Big Brother tactics to spy out the offenders.

It is all down to the changing attitude in this country - as long as I'm alright , **** the rest of you. Something that won't change in a hurry until the Govt show respect and stop fleecing us all, as I'm a firm believer that you are lead by example.

Rapido-lass - 2009-08-02 9:40 AM

Ned Swift - 2009-08-01 9:42 PM

Ned (I getting out more)

If I'm understanding you correctly, you would never find that the 'haven't heard of a toilet brush' brigade would admit to being in that camp and would hence automatically sign up as a virgin Olive Oil! So the situation would be the same, unless the CC is going to adopt Big Brother tactics to spy out the offenders.

It is all down to the changing attitude in this country - as long as I'm alright , **** the rest of you. Something that won't change in a hurry until the Govt show respect and stop fleecing us all, as I'm a firm believer that you are lead by example.

Can't agree with you there.

Toilet training is a parents responsibility - not the governments.

;-)

Guest Tracker
If there were only one caravan club that would be a monopoly - and monopolies never helped anyone except the arrogant and the greedy - and governments!

Totaly agree with Tracker, The more clubs that can be set up the better particuly if they can offer their own club sites ( for members only). At present we have 2 main clubs and it is quite obvious which on is charging overpriced pitches and compulsary EHUs. As mentioned in previous posts on this theme, the clubs at present are run as profit making busnesses and can treat paying members with contempt if they mention OTT pitch fees. Why is it that BIG is always considered best?

Rapido-lass - 2009-08-02 9:40 AM

(snip)

I'm a firm believer that you are lead by example.

I totally agree. If all of us, as individuals, treated each other with respect then the world would be bound to be a better place.

chas - 2009-08-02 11:35 AM

Totaly agree with Tracker, The more clubs that can be set up the better particuly if they can offer their own club sites ( for members only). At present we have 2 main clubs and it is quite obvious which on is charging overpriced pitches and compulsary EHUs. As mentioned in previous posts on this theme, the clubs at present are run as profit making busnesses and can treat paying members with contempt if they mention OTT pitch fees. Why is it that BIG is always considered best?

Yes, the CC (member) and C&CC (not a member) are run as businesses. It would be silly if they were run any other way given their size.

Having said that, the managements of both are bound to follow the decisions of their members at their AGMs. If sufficient members decide that EHU should be charged separately and/or that pitch fees should be reduced then they can pass resolutions to that effect and the managements would be bound to abide by those decisions.

Given that the majority of members don't promote such resolutions one has to assume that they are happy with the situation as it is or aren't bothered enough to do anything about it.

As membership of the clubs is voluntary then anyone who is unhappy can always decide not to renew their membership.

On the question of whether big is best, anyone who feels strongly enough that the CC/C&CC are too big could always set up their own organisation with a limited maximum size.

Graham

Tracker - 2009-08-02 10:26 AM

If there were only one caravan club that would be a monopoly - and monopolies never helped anyone except the arrogant and the greedy - and governments!

I think Ned's original post meant splitting the CC rather than merging CC and C&CC :-)

Graham

chas - 2009-08-02 11:35 AM

I belong to CC so cannot really speak about the other one. Why would anyone think they are overchargeing. We are off on an annual trip to Scotland and use some of their sites, they range from £11 a night at Killin to £19.50 a night in Edinburgh. Now for the quality you get, which is rarely matched anywhere, you will not get better prices in France at the moment. In our first trip to France this year we were away for six weeks from this end of May to first week in July. Even using our ACSI card we averaged 13 Euro a night and this is out of high season, a lot of the sites we stayed on went to over 30 euro a night in August. True you get a swimming pool at most but on only one did the toilet, shower and hookup standards come up to the CC. We only stayed on two m/h slums, commonly known as aires and they charged 7 & 8 euros for nothing other than a pitch on a carpark. Of course the clubs are run as a business, that is the way they buy new sites and upgrade the old ones. Why are members treated with contempt, do not understand this, the sites are efficient, well run to a common standard and are very succesfull. I assure you they would not be if they did not offer a good product, like any business they have to give value or customers will go elsewhere.

Both the CC and the C&CC have "splashers" who dont clean the toilets and "messers" who dont mop showers and in our straw poll it appears to be the old codgers that are worse. We think its because they cant see but then should they be driving? Although I did hear one motorhomer who put his toilet waste down a grey water drain and blocked it say "thats what wardens are paid for " which I think is appalling. There are perhaps less than 1% of mavericks who spoil things because of their selfishness but I am afraid that is what we see in all walks of life. Hence the Country's current financila problems. Another point about pricing in the main holiday season many people seem to think the CC is more expensive than the C&CC well if you check on lots of sites they are cheaper if you take electricity. They C&CC are cheaper when the age concession is available but that doesnt apply to all motorcaravanners. I also prefer to select my own pitch and not have some jumped up warden tell me where to go and how to pitch.

Guest Tracker

Both clubs have their good points and both clubs have issues that some people don't like.

At the end of the day it is an individual choice based on experiences and perceptions so without knocking either club let's all just agree to disagree and stick with whichever we prefer!

To go back to the original question - those who know how to clean up after themselves, and those who don't, do you think it's time for CCTV in the toilet blocks ????? I do agree that it's very off-putting to follow someone who leave the facilities in a disgusting state. Do they know they are doing it ? What are there homes like ?? I suppose one answer is to Queue up outside the block after "cleaning time" and be first in. That conjours (if I knew how to spell it ) up a picture !!

:$

Thomas (who always cleans up after himself)

Guest Tracker

On the other hand why not buy a motorhome with it's own built in facilities and then you only have to clear up after yourself - not only that but also you won't need to queue or get wet going there or get cold once inside and there will (or should) always be paper on the roll and soap at the wash basin as well as a clean dry towel!

It works for us!

Tracker - 2009-08-02 2:07 PM

On the other hand why not buy a motorhome with it's own built in facilities and then you only have to clear up after yourself - not only that but also you won't need to queue or get wet going there or get cold once inside and there will (or should) always be paper on the roll and soap at the wash basin as well as a clean dry towel!

It works for us!

Rich, I really wonder if you have ever been on a Caravan Club site, if you have how long ago? I have never, ever, queued, never been cold inside, unlike most sites in Europe they are heated when require, never seen one without paper on roll or a spare roll. As for using own facilities these are their if needed and usefull but showers are always cramped and second rate plus it takes an age to clean up afterwards.

rupert123 - 2009-08-02 2:34 PM
Tracker - 2009-08-02 2:07 PM On the other hand why not buy a motorhome with it's own built in facilities and then you only have to clear up after yourself - not only that but also you won't need to queue or get wet going there or get cold once inside and there will (or should) always be paper on the roll and soap at the wash basin as well as a clean dry towel! It works for us!
Rich, I really wonder if you have ever been on a Caravan Club site, if you have how long ago? I have never, ever, queued, never been cold inside, unlike most sites in Europe they are heated when require, never seen one without paper on roll or a spare roll. As for using own facilities these are their if needed and usefull but showers are always cramped and second rate plus it takes an age to clean up afterwards.

Apparently, many years ago, the CC had the temerity to want to charge him for electricity so he's never been on a site since. You'll learn eventually that Tracker has an irrational hatred of anything that wants to charge him a bit extra and since then he's taken every opportunity to sneer at the CC and those who use it.

See my post in MPG about his view of CC wardens and you'll see what I mean.

If as a member in either (or both as in my case) there are aspects which you consider need changing then do something about it at the AGM, vote with your feet and go elswhere, or use your own facililities. Also spare a thought for those poor people who clear up behind the few iresponsible people. Communal living will always involve running the risk of experiencing unacceptable human behaviour but then surely the wonderful thing about having a motorhome is that you move on.

Roy Fuller

Guest Tracker
GypsyTom - 2009-08-02 2:52 PM
rupert123 - 2009-08-02 2:34 PM
Tracker - 2009-08-02 2:07 PM On the other hand why not buy a motorhome with it's own built in facilities and then you only have to clear up after yourself - not only that but also you won't need to queue or get wet going there or get cold once inside and there will (or should) always be paper on the roll and soap at the wash basin as well as a clean dry towel! It works for us!

Not for several years Henry, and as you say they do seem to have improved a lot! Nevertheless as we prefer to use our own facilities most of the time there really is no need for us to use 'posh' sites! To us a site is simply somewhere to kip and do the wet jobs in the morning, as opposed to our home for several days, before finding somewhere else to explore. As I repeatedly say, I don't knock club sites - or the folk that use them - other than tongue in cheek jest and only then mainly because it winds certain people up! Apparently, many years ago, the CC had the temerity to want to charge him for electricity so he's never been on a site since. You'll learn eventually that Tracker has an irrational hatred of anything that wants to charge him a bit extra and since then he's taken every opportunity to sneer at the CC and those who use it.

See my post in MPG about his view of CC wardens and you'll see what I mean.

Tom - as one who likes to quote earlier posts when it suits your twisted mind let me quote one of mine that gives my true view of both clubs.Both clubs have their good points and both clubs have issues that some people don't like.At the end of the day it is an individual choice based on experiences and perceptions so without knocking either club let's all just agree to disagree and stick with whichever we prefer!-----

I hadn't intended coming back to this as I've a ferry to catch shortly but this and your sick-making comments in the MPG thread about what a nice person you are can not go unanswered!

This is how you are viewed by a long-term member of this site, who sent me a PM. Should you accuse me of fabricating this I am happy to give my password to a third party to confirm that it's genuine. Needless to say I'd like his privacy respected so he can't be named. He wrote:

I quite agree with you. I thought the reference to CC wardens was totally unacceptable, especially as he doesn't even use their sites. He can be a nasty piece of work at times.
But I've got the measure of him, as you also have.
Keep up the good work in slapping him down.

You dig yourself in deeper every time you respond. In the post above you say:

As I repeatedly say, I don't knock club sites - or the folk that use them - other than tongue in cheek jest and only then mainly because it winds certain people up!

This is a blatant lie - you continually jeer at the CC and the people who use it. I remind members of what you said about site wardens:

Surpassed only by the look of self satisfied condescending arrogance when he (or his CC counterpart) then tells you that the site is full even for just one night and even though there are still lots of empty pitches at 7.00 pm just waiting for people who will never turn up! Magic!

Afterwards, possibly realising what a hateful comment it was you tried to wriggle out by calling it 'humour and irony'. But there was no smiley face to indicate humour and the was nothing ironic about it.

However, I want to get back to this comment that you made:

As I repeatedly say, I don't knock club sites - or the folk that use them - other than tongue in cheek jest and only then mainly because it winds certain people up!

In this sentence you admit to knocking club sites and those that use them, but claim that it's only to 'wind people up'. Do you or anyone else believe that a person who posts such unacceptable comments purely to wind up others and to sow dissent and start an argument is a nice person?

I don't, I think that you are hateful and poisonous, and I'm not alone. I've been told that you've been banned in the past for this kind of behaviour - is that true? If it is it speaks volumes about you.

Just for once have the guts to answer me properly and not spin off at a tangent. Do you honestly believe that posts such as the ones about site wardens are acceptable? Do you believe that posting such vitriol simply, as you claim, to wind people up, is acceptable on a forum, especially when you know that 'certain people' will react? Does this behaviour give you some kind of twisted satisfaction?

Answer the questions please if you can - but I doubt that you will!

Guest Tracker

I do not feel the need to justify my postings or actions to you or to anyone else and if you are offended so be it.

I do not feel the need to use smileys to try and justify humour.

I have no interest in anyone who sends vitriolic PMs as all that proves is a lack of bottle or ability to post openly.

I assume that by your phrase 'answering you properly' you mean that you want me to agree with you as you seem unable to accept anyone's views other than your own - not a chance!

This is a forum for the free and unfettered exchange of views and information without rancour and I for one have not only learnt a lot, and been able to help some people, but have made some good friends along the way and I have no intention in being bullied by your insults into changing anything.

So go and catch your ferry and the rest of us will enjoy your absence from the forum - but I doubt we will miss your insults and unhelpful postings.

I didn't ask you to justify anything, I simply asked you to answer some simple questions, but of course I knew that you wouldn't because you have no defence for your appalling comments.

I am going away very happy now knowing that you've been exposed once again for what you really are, and the private messages I've received from other forum members confirm my belief that many members of this forum consider you an odious trouble maker.

Guest Tracker

Have a good holiday and it is good that you are now so happy - welcome to the happy club!

May I respectfully suggest that you read my previous posting again for the answers to your questions - it's all there!

You still have not managed to offend me in spite of trying so hard and I do not feel the need to sink to your level of using insulting terminology towards you!

Guest Tracker
Ned Swift - 2009-08-04 10:34 AM

Dunno what type of Olive Oil are you using??

LOL!

Ned (lol)

Toilet brush? What Toilet Brush?

I've always preferred a dollop of Extra Virgin personally!

Archived