I want to buy a 'thingy', but don't know its name!

Rapido-lass

Hi Guys and Gals,

Feeling rather silly as I don't know what the name of the 'thingy' I want to buy is - can someone please help?

I want to get a 'thingy' that will plug into the 12v lighter point so that I can then plug in and charge a battery (Camera and camcorder) that has a charger with only an electrical plug on, whilst driving.

Any help with firstly the name of the thingy, and then where I could get one.

Thanks alot folks

Rapido-lass - 2009-08-02 7:14 PM Hi Guys and Gals, Feeling rather silly as I don't know what the name of the 'thingy' I want to buy is - can someone please help? I want to get a 'thingy' that will plug into the 12v lighter point so that I can then plug in and charge a battery (Camera and camcorder) that has a charger with only an electrical plug on, whilst driving. Any help with firstly the name of the thingy, and then where I could get one. Thanks alot folks

The generic name is an 'Adapter' there are many differnet types of adapter, it sounds like you need a 13A socket to Cigar lighter adapter, you could then plug your camcorder etc. intot he socket and the other end into the cigar socket on your dashboard (or wherever)

If you know someone with a soldering iron and some cable he / she could make one for you.

Hi,

This may suit your need its only 150 watt output but that should suit most of the items you mentioned, sometimes shops like Lidl's and Aldi's have similar invertors for sale and you can also get round ones which will normally fit into a cup holder socket.

hope that helps, heres the link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-240V-Inverter/dp/B000ORSGI2

Rapido-lass - 2009-08-02 6:14 PM

Hi Guys and Gals,

Feeling rather silly as I don't know what the name of the 'thingy' I want to buy is - can someone please help?

I want to get a 'thingy' that will plug into the 12v lighter point so that I can then plug in and charge a battery (Camera and camcorder) that has a charger with only an electrical plug on, whilst driving.

Any help with firstly the name of the thingy, and then where I could get one.

Thanks alot folks

Just wanted to add that as it seems your camcorder charger is 240v then yes you will need an inverter between the 13A socket and the 12V plug - not a good idea to use a standard 13A socket for 12v 'tho I have done it in unusual circumstances (As when stuck in the middle of the Sahara and having all 12 volt transceiver kit)

Hi- You need a power inverter I have recently purchased one which produces 120watts and fits into the dashboard cup holder and plugs into the cigerette lighter socket. Best deal was from "7dayshop.com" which cost £16.99 inc delivery. They also offer a 150watt model for £19.99, they are both made by Ring. Regards chas

Rapido-lass

This is the inverter I have (though I bought it locally, not on-line)

http://www.porta-charge.co.uk/accessory_0389.html

It was a Best Buy in the March 2009 Auto-Express test

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/234463/inverters_tested.html

You will need to be careful that your motorhome's dashboard-socket can handle an inverter's potential output. A 150W inverter can demand around 13A at 12V and some dashboard-sockets are only intended (and fused) to handle 10A output. If you read the Auto-Express test, you'll also see that inverters are not all created equal.

The camera/camcorder battery-charger that you plug into the inverter will demand the same amount of 230V power from the inverter that it demands from a domestic 230v mains-socket. Provided that the inverter can meet that demand (and a 150W inverter should be more than adequate for what you are proposing to do), then the time it will take to charge the battery via the inverter will be no longer than the time it would take for you to charge the battery at home. It's worth noting, though, that the inverter's manufacturer may recommend that the inverter not be run for lengthy periods, as these things can get quite warm.

Archived