Body repair - water leak

stantheman

Hi

I have what was obviously a latent water ingress problem in my Lunar Roadstar which has now suddenly become acute. Went into the van yesterday to find water dripping from ceiling onto upholstery!

One of our nearest workshops, Pioneer Caravans near Peterborough, said that their next available vacant slot is sometime next year!!! I dread to think what state it will be in by then!

Question, does anyone know of a reliable, sympathetic, bodyworkshop in the St Neots area who might take pity on what is obviously an urgent case?

Looks like two issues to me:

1) Find and stop the leak

2) Repair the internal damage ( if any - it may not have been leaking long).

Most important is to stop the leak - can you not attempt that yourself ?

Repairs will not then be so urgent.

Good luck with it.

stantheman - 2009-08-03 10:47 AM Hi I have what was obviously a latent water ingress problem in my Lunar Roadstar which has now suddenly become acute. Went into the van yesterday to find water dripping from ceiling onto upholstery! One of our nearest workshops, Pioneer Caravans near Peterborough, said that their next available vacant slot is sometime next year!!! I dread to think what state it will be in by then! Question, does anyone know of a reliable, sympathetic, bodyworkshop in the St Neots area who might take pity on what is obviously an urgent case?

Whether or not you attempt the repair yourself, get a waterproof cover over the whole roof, and secured, post haste, so that all rain is shed over the edges and no more gets onto the roof proper.  Try to arrange this so that no puddles can form.  If possible, leave the rooflights chinked open under the waterproof cover to aid ventilation.  Then, whenever possible, leave the doors and windows open to help the accumulated moisture to dry out.  Remove all seat backs and cushions, mattresses, carpets and soft furnishings to a dry place away from the van, as they will store moisture vapour and slow the drying process.  Leave all internal doors, drawers and cupboards open.

Guest peter
.......or more simply find the leak and put gaffer tape over it as a temporary measure, then put a de-humidifier in to get the moisture out. You can the get it repaired at your leisure. I don't live far from you so if you want me to have a look please PM me.

Thanks for all your responses. Problem probably worse than at first it appeared. Climbed on top to render some temporary first aid with Sikaflex 512 and found a row of about 5 small perforations in the aluminium outer skin. They were in line with one of the cross members and it's my guess that electrolytic action has taken place with the screws in the cross member, probably assisted by water trapped from my previous leak. Inner ceiling panel feels quite spongy too! Woe is me!

Yes Alf, Todds removed the top-box, but foolishly I didn't get the ladder removed as well, although I don't think this is causing the problem as the mountings look fairly sound. However, it's coming off at the first opportunity!

Thanks for the offer Peter, but Peter Ayles of Motorhome Coachcraft in Luton responded to my cries immediately and has arranged to look at it in a few days time. (don't tell me you and he are one and the same Peter!!!!).

It's a Roadstar 630, 2001 vintage. Only the overcab part is moulded GRP. As I said, most of the outer roof skin appears to be painted aluminium sheet. A well built 'van, apart from the roof and the floor. I had to repair the latter with injections of resin through 200 carefully drilled holes. Worked a treat, but I think the roof might be beyond me. Need a big, dry workshop for that.

A serious problem with timber framed, aluminium clad bodywork is that if water gets in and soaks into the wood it will start to rot. A by product of this rot is a chemical that will eat clean through the aluminium skin. I know because a couple of years ago I had to completely reskin our Autohomes Highwayman and rebuild a quarter of the entire timber frame. All the rotten timber was replaced with 25mmsq, 3mm wall aluminium box section. It was a huge job that took nine months of part time work.

D.

Archived