Poole to Cherbourg

martin h

My wife and I are intending to travel Poole – Cherbourg with Brittany Ferries in September and have a couple of “basic” questions.

There is a weight limit of 3500kgs and we have had our Autotrail Dakota weighed and it’s 3440kgs ready to roll. I called Brittany Ferries and was told the motorhome would be weight at Poole

Question 1 has anyone had experience of this and are they very strict on the maximum weight please?

Question 2 – is there anywhere to park up for the night before the 07.30 crossing or will we need to find a site in Poole? If so any recommendations please.

Thanks in advance.

I assume you will be travelling by 'fast craft'...

I can't advise from practical experience on how strict Brittany Ferries are about vehicle maximum weight, but I note that freight vehicles travelling on the catamaran are size and axle-weight restricted, so it's probable that there's the facility at Poole to carry out weight checking. If a Brittany Ferries rep at Poole has told you your motorhome will be weighed, then plainly there's a risk of you being turned away if your vehicle proves to be over the limit. Even if the weights of motorcaravans are rarely checked, there's always the chance that yours will be picked on. You'd be wise to ensure your Dakota is below 3500kg.

(You are sure about the 3500kg weight restriction? I can't find a reference to it on the Brittany Ferries website (though I admit I haven't looked too closely) and I've seen some very large and heavy vehicles on cross-Channel fast-craft in the past.)

As far as overnight parking at the Poole ferry-port is concerned, Brittany Ferries website says:

"At the present time there is a parking facility opposite the terminal. Caravans cannot be left in the car park but can be parked 'overnight' in the car lanes for a £5.00 fee. Please call 01202 440220 for details."

I suggest you check this information to ensure it is current.

HI,

I used this route earlier this year and parked overnight by the by the blue shed where the toilets and showers are, no problem very quiet we are 3500kg 6.3 mtr long just under 3 mtr high very tight to get on the fast craft I think it would be doubtful that you would get on, we were jammed on and could only just get out of the cab but had to wait for cars to move before we could get back on board.the awning was tight against the craft superstructure. Fabulous trip out of poole harbour though. I would suggest you book on the ordinary ferry to be on the safe side. have a good trip.

regards geoff

Geoff Cole - 2009-08-04 9:19 AM

HI,

I used this route earlier this year and parked overnight by the by the blue shed where the toilets and showers are, no problem very quiet we are 3500kg 6.3 mtr long just under 3 mtr high very tight to get on the fast craft I think it would be doubtful that you would get on, we were jammed on and could only just get out of the cab but had to wait for cars to move before we could get back on board.the awning was tight against the craft superstructure. Fabulous trip out of poole harbour though. I would suggest you book on the ordinary ferry to be on the safe side. have a good trip.

regards geoff

Hi we used the Fast Cat this year Portsmouth/Cherbourg and had no problems getting on. We are 6.2 +a cycle rack, and over 3meters high, due to dome on top.You have to back on the ferry, last on usually, but first off, done the trip several times, ir's our prefered crossing, as we live in Portsmouth. It is the same craft from Poole

Pauline

It appears possible (at least in theory) to on-line book a very large motorhome on to the fast-ferry travelling between Poole and Cherbourg, and there seems to be no weight-restriction warning.

We used to travel regularly to France via the P&O fast-craft route between Portsmouth and Cherbourg. It does need highlighting that bad weather conditions can cause delays/cancellation of high-speed cross-Channel ferry services and, if the sea is rough, the motion of the catamaran can be very unsettling.

I find Channel-crossing excruciatingly tedious, but I'd rather travel on a conventional ferry and take longer, than pay a premium for the quicker catamaran and risk the potential impact of bad weather.

If you go out on the 12.30 sailing on the conventional ferry, on a nice day it's super sitting on deck eating your sarnies while passing the Old harry Rocks, Swanage etc.

But there again it's rather nice on deck going in or out of Portsmouth too

Thanks for the replies, hints etc. Did some deep digging on the Brittany Ferries web site and have booked Portsmouth - Cherbourg. No weight, hight or lenght restrictions - unlike the crossing from Poole. Th ecraft look very similar but it seems they aren't.

Thanks again, now looking forward to our first trip to France in the motorhome.

Archived