MOT - problems with reversing camera?

benson

I just happened to be chatting to a traffic cop last week who is a motorhome enthusiast like ourselves. He was looking at my vehicle and saw the screen for the reversing camera mounted on the dash, installed there by a dealer who had done hundreds in the past and SHOULD know what they are doing! The friendly policeman told me to be careful when the MOT became due (in 2 years time as the vehicle is 08) as it could fail the test!!! The screen is not causing any visual impact from the driving position as it is placed right over in the far offside corner of the screen. Has anyone had any experience of their vehicle failing the MOT for this reason, as I, and I am sure, many other motorhome owners, would be interested to know. If this is the case, then dealers should be made aware that what they are doing is illegal, and come up with an alternative.The police officer suggested mounting a screen incorporated in the rear view mirror but of course this is more unnecessary expense.

Any comments would be appreciated. *-)

Hi

My vehicle is an A class left hooker and VanBitz put mine by the drivers quarterlight, though because of the distance to the screen it doesn't obstruct the windscreen. If I have any MOT problems (October) I will post on it, but it would seem a bit churlish. By comparison you can have all sorts of chips and cracks in the windscreen as long as they are not interfering with the drivers driving view.

Peter

What everyone has failed to mention so far is whether their camera is just a reversing camera or also a rear view camera. My camera is just a reversing camera in that it only comes on when I engage reverse so cannot distract me in any way when I'm driving normally. The policeman may have a point as it it can be illegal to have anything distracting in view when you're driving. My car has a system where the same screen hosts a satnav system, music centre etc. and a television. I can only watch the television when I'm stationary and the car is not in gear. I'm assured that this is a legal requirement. I suspect that a reversing camera may well be a subjective decision by the mechanic when he decides to pass your M.O.T. or not!

As a rough guide, if the screen for the rear view camera (doesn't really matter if it only operates in reverse gear or is on permanently) obstructs the drivers view through an area of windscreen that is swept by the wipers then it MAY be a reason for an MOT failure. This is why I generally install the monitors near the drivers side A pillar as this position would not normally obstruct the drivers view. Another enefit of this position is that it will put the monitor close to the drivers side mirror which minimises head movement to view one or the other.

D.

My monitor is fitted on the dash top , just above the gearstick area, its a 1999 Ducato Autotrail. I take mine to VOSA at Grimsby for its yearly check up, and for the last 3 years I have had to remove the monitor from its bracket as otherwise it would have failed. They mentioned it to me prior to the test so that I could remove it, so each year I drive to centre with it fitted, then remove it prior to the test and refit it when its passed. It doesn't have any impact on the area that I can see, and caused no obstruction, but if they it fails, what choice have you got?

Still it only takes a matter of minutes to remove and refit. :->

I wonder what the problem is.

Provided the display does not obscure the view through a relativly samll defined area of the windscreen ahead of the driver or of the obligatory mirrors and only displays information that informs the driver about :

(A) the state of the vehicle or equipment

(B) the location of the vehicle and road on which it’s located

© or assists the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicleo

(D) or assists the driver to reach his destination.

It should be ok.

Like Stew, my monitor sits central on the dash top area - mounted on the disused document holder. My first MoT was with Plymouth Bus garage - listed in MMM Motorhome friendly garages. It failed due to driver view obstruction. However since I could readily remove it from the bracket, the examiner then "retested" having seen me take off the monitor and I then got a "pass". The examiner said he must fail any vehicle with obstruction greater than 20mm in the area swept by the wiper blades as viewed from the driving position - as Dave Newell was saying.

Since that time I have located a much more local garage just outside Launceston, and passed each MoT there, without removing the monitor! - and only £48 not £55.

As an aside, I needed to take care with placing the German Umwelt sticker as this has to be on Drivers side for RHD vehicles to comply with German regs, but must not cover any windscreen wiper swept area for MoT regs. Once placed, cannot move it!

Hi,

My understanding is that any TV fitted must not be visible from the driver's seat. But does that include TV mirrors? I believe the 1958-ish Cadillac had CCTV as standard, and didn't have mirrors. ?????

The swept area of the windscreen must not be obstucted ....... but official stickers (tax discs) are excluded from that requirement. Hmmmm, a large area of my Land Rover screen is obsructed by the bonnet and spare wheel, at least, I can't see the road for several feet in front of the car. And my internal mirror can sometimes hide vehicles crossing from my left.

The SVA requires that the driver can see his mirrors without moving his head.

My understanding is that vehicle systems that include TV monitors employed for providing 'driving information' (eg. a view outside the vehicle) are excluded from regulations relating to TV monitors used to provide 'entertainment'.

A number of high-performance cars nowadays have a TV monitor as standard rather than a rear-view mirror.

Thanks for all the replies to the MOT query. I have noted from a posting by Davanewell who appears to be an installer that he positions the screen by the drivers A frame with a view to the offside mirror at the same time. My screen does not obstruct any of the wiper area due to its positioning, so I should be ok then.

Thanks again for all the input. :->

When i had my camera fitted I insisted on a clip on mirror type, because parking on the road, some little scroat would think its a TV if on the dash and sell it down the pub for a fiver.

as the interior mirror is next to useless anyway (you still can see what cupboard door you left open) you can have this one on all the time, although its a reversing camera, it has a fairly good range.

Pete

I had my 5" cube camera mounted in the center of the dash top for 7 years & wired into the reversing lights.It went throught 4 MOT's in different garages without any problems or comments.Unless its specifically mention in the MOT regulations I shouldn't worry.I was told that the 3" strip of tinted plastic I had along the top of my present sreen would fail the MOT as well by some knowall but nothing was mention about that last month when that was tested. *-)

Archived