X250 scuttle question

andy mccord

I had my van in for the usual water leak in to the engine bay, but ive noticed that on 09 plate x250's the near side drain hole is around 10mm, mine is 3-4mm, is it just a simple case of running a larger drill bit thru it or is there a catch pipe underneath?

TIA

Andy

Mine is 08 it has a 35mm internal dia. drain hole with a 40mm (external dia.) drain tube. The bottom end of the tube is moulded so it fits into a hole through (I think there is a plastic fitting it mates to but I can't quite see) the inner wing taking any water completely out of the engine bay.

These drains are supposed to be a 10mm tube, but as they are glued in its unlikely that the hole remains at 10mm. The hole will block with the smallest leaf and I have a cable tie poked down each of the tubes on my van to act as a giggle pin to keep the hole free. However if you get heavy rain the whole lot overflows anyway. The water will be going down the wiper shaft so lubricate the seal regularly with silicone grease and be ready for a new wiper wheel box some time in the not too distant future!

I also have an inverted yogourt pot over some sensitive bits under the bonnet on the drivers side, where water directs itself.

Do a search for earlier posts which describe some good DIY mods.

The X250 is mostly a great vehicle but the design team seem to have had more say than the engineers and FIAT seem to take no notice of what their customers have to say.

Regards,

Andy.

Andy T,

Is your van an early one or is the 100 different to the 130 as as we were in a downpour last year where we literally had a waterfall coming down the windscreen for over an hour. After it had finished I checked under the bonnet everything was bone dry.

Him Lenny,

My van was delivered Sept 07 but was at Pilote for a long time before that.

Its had all the mods but as both the local FIAT dealers are pretty useless I've more or less given up.

The engine cover keeps the water off the injectors but the water has to flood the little wells by the wiper spindles; it must do on yours too in heavy rain although if yours is sealed down the side of the bonnet, it may just run down over the bonnet and headlights.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Just had another look there is a 9mm drain hole on the passenger side that I've not noticed before. It's in what I would describe as a separated from the main scuttle area by the shape of the moulding. There is no pipe on this hole just open to the underside of the bonnet up in the far left corner. Just checked under the bonnet nothing rusty or signs of water problems.

Around the drivers wiper spindle there is a bit of dirt looks like water may have been collecting there but not causing any problems.

When parked at home it's on a level drive usually with a Taylormade silver screen the long version that comes down over airs vent completely covering the scuttle.

Last year in Slovenia we had been driving through a serve thunderstorm pulled up for lunch and water was pouring off the cab roof down the windscreen it was like sitting under a waterfall. When it stop raining I checked under the bonnet & was surprised how dry it was.

From other threads it appears to be more of a problem if you park on a UK road with a camber as the main scuttle drain is on the offside.

I don't think the mods give a good a solution as new scuttle fitted to the newer vehicles I've not seen anyone complain who has a newer vehicle, my mate has the same van as me brought at the same time he doesn't have any problems either. We are both well aware of all the Fiat problems and keep a close eye on everything.

Water drains into the engine bay via the small rains outside of the main scuttle i.e. the near and offside, the main part of the scuttle drains via a tube offset to the drivers side. The small drain in the passenger side can spray water over the fuse box plastic cover and some other electrics. I have not been able to stop water dripping onto the engine cover from the centre drain although don`t feel this is of major concern. Following heavy rain at Avignon one night on start up in morning belt squeal was heard for a few seconds which was almost certainly due to water in the engine bay. I keep a Taylormade Cover on to keep everything dry when stored. I have noted that both our Peugeot and Honda cars also drain water into the bay at least at the sides so it does`nt seem to be unique to the X250.

Hi I had this problem with water ingress that is the posh name I have other words for it,

I took my vehicle to the Fiat dealer for the updates when new (and there were a lot of them) and i have had no trouble since they fitted an engine cover and a cover for the wiper motor and also a cover for the electric box they also increased the size of the drain hole.

Mind you my vehicle has not moved for almost two years other than up and down my drive due to other problems but the engine compartment is dry :-( *-) Mike.

Archived