wireless parking sensors

chas

Hi- As anyone fitted these wireless parking sensors to their motorhome and are they pleased with the accuracy of the LED display on the dashboard. I know that a full blown reversing camera set up is ideal but did not feel that I wanted to pay the high cost together with a tv monitor stuck on the dashboard. Our van is only 5.3 metres but sometimes think some extra assistance would be useful. The DIY part of fitting is no bother but did not want to drill 4 sensor holes in the rear plastic skirt if the things are hopless at sensoring.

Hi,

I bought a set of these and would not recommend them. After having 3 dash units and 2 rear transmitters replaced under warranty. I have just about given up on them. They work intermittently and so cannot be relied on.

This is the set reccomended in MMM some years back so I thought they would be good.

One last thing our van is about the same size as yours (Autosleeper Symbol)

Regards

Stewart

From what I have read, neither wireless sensors, nor wireless cameras, are as reliable in use as the hard wired variety.

If going for sensors, I believe it is wise to increase the number fitted to motorhomes by one, since most kits are car oriented and, due the the greater width of motorhomes, "blind spots" can result. 

Even then you will need to experiment a bit, to be sure you can interpret the signals with confidence, and also to be sure the sensors will pick up both low obstructions, of the kind that just mangle the base or your rear "bumper", and such relatively small items steel posts, such as may be used to denote the rear of parking bays.

If you're going to have to hard wire it anyhow, so as to get a reliable installation, I'd suggest a re-think on a camera/monitor combination, as the wired ones are not that expensive. 

I installed one a few years back that looked out through the rear window from inside, so the camera was tamper proof, and the monitor was ceiling mounted, so neither prominent nor an obstruction to forward view.  It was wired to be permanently on via the ignition, and was a great help in spotting potential overtakers before they had thought about overtaking!

I did have to make up the brackets for the monitor and camera, but the rest of the kit and caboodle was supplied by Dave Newell, by post, at what I thought a very reasonable price.  Why not ask him the current price for something similar?

Take a look in Maplins at their reversing camera,a small transmitter at the rear,the monitor up front .Just connect into the reverse light very simple to fit & costs £49.99.They also do one with a bigger screen at £99.99.The camera is just a thin bar with the lens set in the center.I use mine to reverse onto my caravan without any assistance. (lol)

Archived