Double Skillet Advice

misty

Carol's talking about jackets only, turning the skillet's way of making 2 pans act like an oven and it keeps the temperature equal in the oven - eliminates hot spots - and so cold spots - which are encountered in ovens.

one of the best cooking tools I've ever had was a cataplana - portuguese - seals the contents so the food cooks in its own juices, efficient, healthy and soooooo tasty. the double skillet is the nearest thing that I've found to the cataplana, and ime anything worth while does take a little effort / time - food cooked in the skillet may be more time consuming / labour intensive than bunging it in the oven - but the proof of the pudding .. .. .. as they say :->

I've just Googled Skillet cooking and they do appear to be cast iron so that eliminates the melting base, but they do add weight to the vehicle load.

As the full time cook, the only advantage I can see is if the user has only a single gas burner. And I'm even doubting that.

I can appreciate the 'oven' idea but I see no reason to add another item to the kitchen when it works quite well as it is.

Bill

don't know what you found when you googled but double skillets are a specific item and are not cast iron, much too heavy for a camper

as for cooking techniques - each to their own, but the thought of a 'proper' oven in the van makes my blood run cold. - far too much weight and wasted space - been there done that - over my dead body - never again -

skillet much more effective efficient lighter easier to clean and produces tastier grub - no contest for me

each to their own then, but if you ain't tried it .. .. .. ..

If you type "Skillet cooking" into Google, there are cast iron types mentioned (as well as others), anything other than cast iron would in my view be bordering on doubtfull material regarding over heating unless the operator 'stood over it' all the time.

I'm still not convinced that it will better what I always use, each to his own I guess and I'm still inclined to consider it an unwanted item.

Bill

Bought mine nearly 20 years ago and it is still in use. This is despite now having a van with an oven. It is a very complimentary pice of kit. We used it in our VW and it did a very nice Sunday roast and reduced the washing up.

We now mainly use it for preparing a full English it is fantastic and could even be classed as a type of 'healthy' cooking-mind you I think Jaffa cakes should be part of your five-a-day!

The best purchase ever made apart from the van and a wedding licence!

Bill, you've got the wrong end of the skillet! :-D

They are quality aluminium pans, not thin gauge rubbish or cast iron monsters on ebay. I don't have a set but I know they are well made as I've closely examined them. My only 'complaint' is that they are farly pricey for a couple of deep frying pans that clip together, but then again you can pay a bomb for a good frying pan on it's own. You can, obviously, still use them separately as frying pans if you wish so you don't have to 'add' to your collection of pots and pans, just replace what you already have.

The idea is that you get the pan up to heat and then put it on the lowest heat possible, which is why sometimes you need to use a diffuser. For jacket spuds you turn the pan to 'cook' both sides evenly (using flattish spuds rather than really round ones), but with pies, pizza etc you can't keep flipping it around (not unless you want to scrape it off or bust the pies!) so a diffuser stops them getting burnt.

We're not ones for big meals so cooking a roast isn't vital, neither is warming pies or having pizzas - we prefer freshly cooked nprocessed food when on holiday so pies etc are not on our menu but I could be tempted by a nice jacket spud with lashings of butter and cheese and coleslaw and .... oops, sorry for the drooling! :$

I've heard that some people even bake cakes and bread in them .... sorry, I'm on holiday!!! Each to their own.

We have two one larger than the other, my wife used them very often with great results, I had not noticed that recently she had stopped using them until I started to read this thread,when I asked her why she said because they are made of Aluminium and Aluminium in cooking can cause Altziemhers Disease, whether she is right or not I don't know but she is adamant she wont use them again. *-) *-)

libby - 2009-08-07 11:05 PM

Mel B,

Hooray at last someone has explained what they are about, I can now see their uses, I don't go to shows or the like but I'll keep my eyes open and ask when I'm on a site somewhere

Bill

You can get them mailorder as you don't attend shows, only difference price wise I think you'll find is postage and packing.

Randonneur - 2009-08-06 12:53 PM

smifee - 2009-08-05 11:45 PM

i'm a fair cook but couldn't get on with the double skillet. gave it away.

have friends who cook a full roast in theirs.

now i take a tefal actifry in the van. that's what i call easy cooking (lol)

There was a problem with the Actifry's some time ago, where they were setting themselves on fire and were considered dangerous. It was a

Watchdog item, don't know whether they actually resolved the problem though.

i've had one replacement and it's ok so far. it's just so easy - i use a lakeland chipper and don't peel the spuds. put a couple of sausages in and NO fat/oil. set the timer for 25 minutes. 3 minutes before the end put a handful of baby plum tomatoes in. what a way to start the day (lol)

Archived