Western Isles Ferry

alf

As you may or may not know Angus McNeil the SNP Member for the Western Isles

is looking into asking Calmac to charge the full price for Motor Caravans visiting the Western Islands he says this is due to the islanders calling us binfillers

to get the full story visit

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2009/08/02/island-mp-slams-rise-in-camper-van-visits-78057-21566018/

And

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/comment/Road-to-the-isles-is.5516373.jp

Please vote NO on online poll not to have ferry fares increased for campervans to the Western Isles.

Go to home page of http://www.stornowaygazette.co.uk/ and on the right hand side you will find:

"Island businesses feeling benefit of RET" open this page and the voting is half way down the righthand side. Thanks

Alf

Guest Tracker
spospe - 2009-08-05 4:49 PM

If the islanders don't like us and regard us as "binfillers", why in God's name do any of you want to go there?

Because it is a beautiful place with so much freedom - just what Motorhomes were designed for - and most of the 'locals' were friendly - all that I met were - and were not antagonistic in any way - in fact many were glad of a chat and glad to get our English pounds in their tills.

Mind you I did camp responsibly without stopping where I was asked not to, not leaving any waste, not emptying the loo in inappropriate places, always asking before helping myself to water, and abiding by what few 'no overnight parking' signs that there were.

Why not go and determine for yourself rather than listen to and be led by media hype and hysteria?

Tracker

I first went to the Western Isles in 1968 (time flies) and have noticed over the course of time that there has been a growing feeling of 'anti-englishnes' in Scotland. If the SNP don't want me, then fair enough as I don't want them either and there are many other places to visit that actually make me feel welcome (or at least are not trying to tax me by raising ferry fares for visiting).

I agree about the scenic beauty of the Western Isles, especially about Skye and the Cuillins, but am finding that the SNP are off-putting.

Michael

The only anti english feeling we have felt is in the far north west particualy in Durness area if you note there every business flies the Scottish and Welsh flags. Skye and the Western Isles are very laid back and welcoming people.

The SNP is quoting the people that are not benifiting from the boom in motor caravan visits.

We spent 15 days in the Highlands in June this year 60% of the vans we noted we from abroad.

Even if you dont want to go it would not hurt to vote and support your fellow motor caravanners would it.

Motor caravanners seem to want to go their own way and bu***r everybody else

take the Fiat fiasco as a prime example.

Alf

Guest Tracker

I quite agree - Plaid Cymru are doing for Wales what the SNP are doing for Scotland's image!

I last went to Harris and Lewis & The Uists four years ago and as you say much has changed - but then so it has everywhere else too - it's just that when you go somewhere new you don't know what it was like in the past which tends to make one not want to back anywhere at times!

I felt no antagonism or anti English feelings from the 'ordinary Scotsperson' on the Islands - or anywhere else in the Highlands and Islands - and I have to wonder if it is just the evil minded politicians rather than the ever tolerant locals that can take the credit/blame for such anti English sentiments - not that they would ever let their anti Englishness stop them from letting 'us' pay for their nice new Parliament etc!

It's not so much a case of raising the fares - more a case of discontinuing to discount them - which has the same effect!

I guess that relatively few Islanders have Motorhomes and returning the fares to last years level would raise more money to subsidise the locals without penalising the locals and once the changes had taken effect nobody would ever know that there had been a reduced fare period?

spospe - 2009-08-05 6:39 PM

alf

I have just voted "no" and the current ratio is 73% no and 27% yes, with no, "don't knows", so it does seem a subject on which every voter has strong views.

I hope there will be a few more like you

THANKS

Regards Alf

Have just voted 'No'

It would be interesting to know exactly what the problem is up there.

Why are we called " binfillers " ?

Would they prefer that we throw the wrappers ( from the food we buy in their shops ) on the ground, instead of in bins ?

It would be a shame if they did cut down on our access.

:-(

We're going up there for 2 weeks shortly so I hope they don't change it too soon!!!!

The voting now stands at 74% / 26% ... keep voting NO!!!!! :D

Reading the various articles though, it appears that the concern is more to do with there being few facilities to cater for the influx of motorhomes and campers, the concerns about them being charged the same as a car (which they're not) appear to be secondary to that.

Maybe they'll sort out the facilities instead which would keep everyone happy it would seem!

spospe - 2009-08-05 4:49 PM

If the islanders don't like us and regard us as "binfillers", why in God's name do any of you want to go there?

I think the probable reason they call us 'Binfillers' is that as you drive around on the islands you always see 'Wheelybins' at the side of the 'Main' roads, with apparantly 'No home' (of course they belong to the people at the end of a long lane, out of sight somwhere) I guess some m/h people have put their rubbish in them,thinking they were provided by a 'very thoughtful Council' for Them. If ever a place needed 'Aires' it's the Western Isles, say £1 Tokens for Waste Disposal, Fresh Water, Chemical Disposal. So that the money goes into the local economy, as it should.

The Place is Beautiful,Unique and a Wildlife Paradise. I went there Before the prices went down with the RET, and would even go back again if the RET was withdrawn. The people are lovely and welcoming, obviously not everyone welcomes Tourists Though, although it COULD be their Major Income for years to come. If they play their cards right :D :D

I have just got back from Outer Hebrides, after taking advantage of the lower fares this year and had a great time (just avoided the tornado in Stornoway!)

The only time that we experienced any anti motorhomer/wildcamping was at Borve beach on Berneray, where we had parked up for a couple of hours as a ferry was cancelled and we had time to kill until the evening crossing to Harris. An English bloke drove up to us and told us to move as he reckoned that we were far too close to his house and we would attract more vans if we stayed. We were at least 200 yds from his house and had no intention of staying the night anyway! I resisted in giving him a mouthful and drove off to catch my ferry.

A problem has arisen due to the lower fares this summer, that being the sheer number of vehicles using CalMac (definitely not all Motorhomes, probably 10% of vehicles carried were motorhomes)

Anybody going over this summer will be wise to do a bit of preplanning because you will need to book your ferry back, approx. 5 days before you plan to return. Also, inter island ferries may need to be booked in advance also, as we only just got on the Berneray to Harris one. Ask CalMac staff when you get there for more up to date info.

I hope that this helps.

MOTH - 2009-08-05 9:38 PM

An English bloke drove up to us and told us to move as he reckoned that we were far too close to his house and we would attract more vans if we stayed. We were at least 200 yds from his house and had no intention of staying the night anyway! I resisted in giving him a mouthful and drove off to catch my ferry.

We (the English) seem to be our own worst Enemies, The Local Islanders are very welcoming and friendly, this English guy has obviously bought 'His little bit of Heaven' and hates sharing it with anyone. I have the same problem here in Pembrokeshire with my fellow (English )Countrymen, the locals are great lovely people, most of the 'hassle' comes from other English 'settlers' who want to turn this place into 'Downtown Chelsea' , they get onto local Councils and loudly put foward their 'Little England' views. Don't listen to them Western Islanders. Stay as Nice as you are. *-)

alf - 2009-08-05 7:00 PM

malc d

did you read the link to the Stornawy Gazette in my earlier post ??

Alf

Hi Alf

Have been reading your links plus others and I can see where problems may arise.

We went to the Outer Hebrides a couple of years ago and although there are ' dumping ' facilities, plus water supplies etc available they were not very well advertised. I got my info on facilities from Benbecula council before I left home.

If there is such a large increase in vans, and many of them not knowing where the facilities are, maybe some people are creating 'health issues'.

It seems a lot of European money is going into developing the islands and once roads are improved anywhere, the crowds soon follow.

The islanders will be victims of their own improved conditions.

:-(

Rayjsj - 2009-08-05 9:18 PM

(snip) If ever a place needed 'Aires' it's the Western Isles, say £1 Tokens for Waste Disposal, Fresh Water, Chemical Disposal. So that the money goes into the local economy, as it should.

The Place is Beautiful,Unique and a Wildlife Paradise.

(snip)

I understand what you are saying but this is part of the dilemma isn't it?

If the place is dug up to provide water/waste infrastructure wouldn't that risk spoiling the natural beauty?

It could well be that more infrastructure is appropriate but it may also be the case that those who wish to go there ensure that they only use sites, rather than free camp, in order to preserve the islands for all.

Graham

Untill the last few years all over Scotland all the waste went in the sea and most of the water was untreated most now is on a fresh water main and we noted this year a vast amount of waste tanks being sunk these to be draind by road tankers.

We used to visit a site at Achiltibule our first and second visits we overnight only the next time we went we stayed a couple of days on leaving I asked where the CDP was the owner pointed out a fence and tap at the top of the site on investigation this was a burn running through the site onto the beach and into the sea children were playing in the burn where it crossed the beach I went back to check the owner shrugged her shoulders and said it was OK the site was for 100 or so pitches we have never been back.

Take the site at JOG where does the toilet block and the CDP go out to sea

Its the same story the few spoil it for the rest. It is not all Johnny Foreigner

Back to the post the OP was for a vote to keep the ferry price for motor caravans and nothing else !

Alf

Don't forget to spend a bit of cash locally. It might be a bit more expensive than stocking up before your visit but it will benefit motorhomers in the long run.

from the Stornoway Gazette

Bill Lawson, chairman of Co Chomunn na Hearadh, said:

"We are certainly seeing more visitors, and particularly camper vans, which has had a significant effect on sales in our shop.

"If local businesses can meet the needs of the increased number of visitors and provide the quality they are looking for there is no doubt we can take advantage of RET."

parkmoy - 2009-08-06 9:05 AM

Don't forget to spend a bit of cash locally. It might be a bit more expensive than stocking up before your visit but it will benefit motorhomers in the long run.

from the Stornoway Gazette

Bill Lawson, chairman of Co Chomunn na Hearadh, said:

"We are certainly seeing more visitors, and particularly camper vans, which has had a significant effect on sales in our shop.

"If local businesses can meet the needs of the increased number of visitors and provide the quality they are looking for there is no doubt we can take advantage of RET."

For us one of the pleasures is buying local produce - something different from what is usually available to us.

Graham

Thought you might be interested in query I made to Angus McNeil MP and his reply

-----------------------------------------

Angus

The media may be misrepresenting the issue of camper vans in the Hebrides but I'm stunned that any area of Scotland would appear to be alienating an important sector of tourism and thereby income. I live in Perth. I have a camper van. I've never been to the Outer Hebrides with or without my van. Now that I've retired it was on our agenda however. Wherever we go we support the local economy by spending money in shops, restaurants, pubs and cafes.

On occasions we camp 'wild' but we always remove our rubbish etc. If media reports are accurate then I'm appalled. Why should I come and spend my money if I'm not welcome?

Arthur

Indeed... we floated 3 options due to ferry capacity... Doing something about camper van ferry concession part of time or all of time .... Or status quo continuing with concession

Nearly all feedback, u will be pleased to know is the status quo ... Press chose one option to concentrate on

But glad u asked so I can clarify

Thanks

Angus

Unfortunately for Angus he is not as an MP responding to the wishes of the majority of his constituency or the rest of Scotland's island population.

The RET is being trialled as a prelude to a roll out across the Calmac network to reduce the costs of living on the islands and increase tourism by making access easier. Just last week the First Minister Alex Salmond was hailing the trial a great success.

Archived