Solar Panel connection - repair possible?

Hairsy

I recently bought a van with a solar panel. It was working when I bought it but I noticed a few days ago that the regulator was indicating an error which means that there is no panel connected. I noticed this after I had been connected to 240v for a while, although I believe this is probably coincidental.

Today I had a look under the panel and found the problem - the negative cable wasn't connected and when I looked at the terminals it appeared that the negative terminal has overheated and melted.

I'll hopefully be successful in attaching a picture but I'd be grateful on any advice on whether this is an easily repairable problem and/or what might have caused the problem in the first place.

All advice would be gratefully received. It is a 110w panel and I would really like it to work!

Many thanks

Dave

P1000202.jpg.f02ec857dcc5fdf57a528fdcc589f943.jpg

It looks to me that the burnt place is on the printed circuit board that has the diodes fitted and this indicates that someone has at some time connected the battery supply the wrong way round. I know this is in contradiction of your description of what hapenned but is the only scenario I can think of to cause this type of damage. Perhaps you purchased the panel second hand and it was damaged already?. Perhaps the installer got it wrong then corrected the connections and thought they had got away with it!. But the bottom line is that the solar panel is not in itself capable of generating enough amps to cause this type of damage, only the battery is.

However, the expensive bit- the panel itself may well be OK and all you probably require is a new connection box with those diodes. Lets hope this is the case.

If all else fails then give the panel to me and I will make use of it!!

I will pay for the postage!!!

C.

Chris,

Your kind offer to take the panel off my hands (even including postage) is much appreciated but I'll decline for now!!!

I have no idea of the history of the panel's connection but your suggestion may be correct. I've discovered a few electrical bodges on the van that have taken some time to resolve.

Do you have any suggestions of where a replacement connection box could be sourced (and ideally fitted)? I'm in West Sussex.

Thanks you for your reply - I'm grateful to find someone knowledgeable in these things.

Dave

Hi Chris,

Seriously I would be enclined to do a test.

Unsolder the last two remaining conductors from the printed circuit board and attatch to them three wires with different coloured insulation. Lay the panel in the sun and measure the voltage across each pair of wires (three permutations) and note that voltage and polarity for each test. Then with this information to hand I could tell you how to connect them and send you a couple of diodes FOC to make up the circuit on a bit of screw terminal block.

How does that sound?

C.

Clive,

That sounds fantastic - thank you. I'll post the results of my check as soon as I've done it. I did check the output from the panel yesterday and was getting 19 volts but I couldn't connect it back up because of the damage to the terminal. No idea of the state of the diodes though. The terminal box hadn't been sealed against the elements so everything was quite coroded.

Arturus,

Thanks for your suggestion. If I don't manage to get it done based on Clive's advice then I will give them a try.

Regards

Dave

Clive,

Based on the picture that I posted earlier, I am numbering the 3 terminals 1, 2 & 3 from left to right.

Across 1 & 2 is 10.5v, 2 being positive

Across 2 & 3 is 10.5v, 3 being positive

Across 1 & 3 is 21.0v, 3 being positive.

The diodes appear to still be doing their job as I only get continuity in one direction.

The above leads me to believe that the panel is functioning correctly - do you agree?

If so, then the challenge I face is to how to get a decent connection, given that the plastic has melted. It looks as though the original setup had just a push in connection with friction holding wires in place. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

There is a metallic ribbon which could be a good basis for a connection but I'm struggling to think of a suitable way to get a connection. I'd like to use some sort of mechanical connection rather than pure solder, given the amount of vibration that the panel must endure in transit.

I'd really appreciate your help - I'm sure the answer is obvious but I just can't think what connection would be best.

Thanks

Dave

I agree,

The panel sounds OK.

My inclinication would be to use a strip of screw terminal block to connect the tails from the solar panel, mount the diodes and connect the outgoing pair of wires. Probably use the existing box with the current contents removed.

You will find my contact details on www.motts.org or PM me with an address and I can send you a couple of new diodes if you like.

C.

Archived