Rattles

Coachman

We have a Autotrail Cheyenne 634L and having now been on our first run of about 1000 miles we are solving most of the small problems apart from the very noisey Truman heater. I took a look at the back and found a screw missing which i replaced so that was one part of the tin which is firmer ,however it still makes a din . One part is the small box at the very bottom at the back which does not seem to be fixed with anything so i guess its a clip on thing. I placed a piece of fireproof packing under this part but haver not been out to see whether it solves some of the rattles. Does any one have this problem ?, cannot remember this in the other campers we have had.

Guest Tracker

These can be real bu**ers to stop rattling and squeaking and one way is to ride in the back on the floor whilst someone else drives over a bumpy road - not hard to find usually - and identify exactly where they are.

Most often it is the casing which is the biggest offender and this can be made more secure in a number of ways depending on your ingenuity. Extra brackets and screws - rubber bungees (remove before igniting!) - padding - slight bending to name just a few.

There is also, on some models, an aluminium sheet behind the front panel and this can flop about and/or chafe as can the control rods. It's trial and error but much can be done to attain some peace and quiet!

We have an Autotrail Tracker EKS new in May with the same problem. They seem to be inherently "tinny" and not designed for installation in a motorhome. Chelston who supplied it have had a couple of goes and it is much improved but still niggling away. So as far as I am concerned it is work in progress, but having looked inside I have no hopes for a complete cure, so please keep us posted if you end up with a perfectly quiet one.

Roy Fuller

We had a annoying rattle from the Truma heater in our Autocruise, which the boss was convinced came from below the heater.

Not believing her diagnosis, I tried all the possibilities within the heater casing, withou success.

Finally, listening to the boss's insistence, I looked at the ehhaust on the ubderside of the heater, and found that the casing was only held in place by a spring clip, which I could not tighten. I removed the clips, and packed the fitting with exhaust repair paste, refitted the casing, and waited for the pste to set.

NO FURTHER RATTLE, which the wife will not let me forget,

Ken

Had the same problem, removed front of heater as normal and found the aluminium back panel was loose. Re bolted that and it rattled less but I found that a significant rattle was coming from the wire control rod connecting the top of the gas heater control to the bottom of the fire. Gave it a bit of adjustment (Posh word for bent it a bit) and much improvement but still not perfect. I think the best answer is turn the volume on the radio up

Dave

Our's rattled no matter what we done to it, so went to auto sleeper and complained, they put two black screws (so the don't show) through the fires frame at an angle in the top, no more rattles, two minutes to remove but bliss on the road, only have to fix the b dy blinds now.

Pete

Archived