ferry to northern ireland

tamworthkamper

Hi all best website to look on for cheap ferry where the best place to sail from . thank you

Depends where you're starting from :-D

There are ferries from Holyhead (to Dublin), Morecambe. Stranraer, Cairnryan and Troon. Check the operators websites - P&O Irish sea, Stenaline and Irish ferries.

Don't discount the Holyhead/Dublin crossing, there's a good motorway Dublin - Belfast.

tamworthkamper - 2009-08-05 8:45 PM

Hi all best website to look on for cheap ferry where the best place to sail from . thank you

The ferries already mentioned plus Norfolk line.

Cheapest should be Larne / Stranraer because it's the shortest.

Holyhead / Dublin is Irish Ferries and normally expensive. This is made worse because you pay in Euro.

Larne /Stranraer you'll probaly pay £240-ish for a car/ van. Much more expensive than the channel because of the lack of competition.

Hope this helps and have a good holiday.

I live near to Stranraer, we crossed over to Belfast last year with our M/H aboard the excellent Stena HSS (highspeed) takes only 90 mins. I think the full return fare was about £290 ish BUT if youv'e got Tesco clubcard points check the brochure -- for every £10 worth you get £40 worth of ticket money !!

lennyhb - 2009-08-11 3:37 PM

Just a word of warning if using the M50 around Dublin they have done away with the toll booths, cameras now record your number plate & you have untill 8:00pm the following day to pay. You can pay online or by phone.

http://www.eflow.ie/

I wouldn't worry too much about that one.

I've been through it quite a few times and never paid, or been asked to pay, yet.

Obviously, when the toll booths were there to collect your cash, I paid like everyone else.

How can you pay by the following day if you're on the ferry to France and no contact for several weeks?

It's a crazy system!!!

:-D

It's only a short stretch between 2 junctions that is a toll section just to catch the airport traffic maybe you didn't go through that bit.

It's no more crazy than the London congestion charge that gives you less time to pay & nearly all the ticket machines in the car parks never work when you try & pay it.

Having done the Holyhead to Dun L.... (whatever it's called!) route and also the Stranraer to Larne route, the latter is preferable - cheaper and quicker especially if you want to be in the north anyway. Also, make sure you stop in Stranraer itself as it's quite a nice place.

When you get to Northern Ireland make sure you do the Carrick a Rede rope bridge ... not for the faint hearted though and preferably NOT on a very windy day! 8-)

Another tip - when going to see the Giant's Causeway, go after tea - no parking charges (well there weren't when we went) and the causeway itself isn't covered in human 'ants' so you can actually see it ... a lovely place to sit to watch the sun go down.

I kept a diary of our adventures back in July 2004, you're welcome to a copy of it if you want.

Archived