Hymer C524 GT

forest-gump

Are you sure about the 2007 model-year?

I've got Hymer UK brochures for model-years 2003 and 2007. The former shows C-Class 524 and C-Class 524 GT designs - both are Fiat-based and share a similar 6-berth interior layout comprising an over-cab double-bed, two crossways rear bunks and a twin-dinette that converts to a double bed. The primary difference is that the 'ordinary' C-524 is constructed on a standard Fiat chassis-cab, while the C-524 GT has an Al-Ko chassis.

There's no sign of either model designation in my Hymer 2007 brochure, the only over-cab '524' design being a Fiat-based C-524 SL. This model retains the two rear bunks, but there's no twin-dinette - just L-shaped lounge seating that does not convert to a bed.

However, there are references to a "C-Classic 524" and "C-Class 524 GT" in a March 2006 copy of Which Motorcaravan that I happen to have. The specification provided by WM indicates that the "Classic" has a standard Fiat chassis-cab and six seats/berths, whereas the "GT" has an Al-Ko chassis and four seats/berths. There are also specification differences between the models regarding size, weight and (very definitely) price (Classic=£33995, GT=£41295). I've no interior layout details for either vehicle, but (assuming that rear bunks are common to both) it's an educated guess that the GT's lounge seating does not convert to a bed. Both of these models were, of course, built on the 'pre-X250' Ducato base.

Hymer(UK) may be able to give you a definitive answer about this.

Thank you so much for this information. It is extremely helpful.

I guess it must be a 2006 c524 gt model registered in 2007.

I don't suppose you would have any idea what this model could fetch on the secondhand market would you?

In any event thank you so much for your help.

forest-gump - 2009-08-06 9:33 PM

Could you tell me a little about review in mmm? Was it favourable, did it have any bad points?

I don't think MMM has reviewed a C-524 GT.

The Which Motorcaravan information I mentioned came from the magazine's Buyers' Checklist data section. I don't know if WM has ever reported on the GT (there's no indication in my March 2006 copy that this happened, so it probably didn't), though apparently WM did publish a report on an 'ordinary' C-524 in 05/03, with MMM reporting on the same model in 01/03.

WM quotes the GT's payload as 435kg, with 2.3litre motor and (presumably) with the vehicle built on a Ducato 15 3500kg chassis. This may be a mite low if a full complement of passengers is to be carried. Given the option, it might be preferable to have the version with the Ducato 18 'maxi' chassis (3900kg?) and 2.8litre powerplant. Whatever the chassis/motor combination, before buying a secondhand C-524 GT it might be prudent to check via a weighbridge what it actually weighs.

Archived