Fire Extinguishers

J9withdogs

I do not know what type of extinguisher you have, but the following notes may help.

One problem with dry-powder fire extinguishers is that over time, the powder can become compacted and so when the extinguisher is used, it does not work at all.

I have experienced this phenomenon and it seems due to vibration over a long time period causing the powder to 'settle' and in effect become semi-solid; hence the recommendation to change after say 5 years.

Even in a domestic, non-vibrating environment, the powder can compact. I have no experience of other types of extinguisher such as gas or liquid, but they probably have other factors which limit their safe working life.

The gauge being 'green' only shows that the extinguisher is pressurised, not that it is guaranteed to work.

One thing to bear in mind is that your typical £20 extinguisher (up to 1 litre) will only give a 6-7 second squirt of powder. Always go for the biggest you have room for (I use a 2 litre unit with about 27 seconds worth of squirt). And get a fire blanket, too.

For motorsport applications (I race a kit car and run a four-litre plumbed-in extinguisher system) you have to get the extinguishers serviced every few years and there are firms that can do this relatively inexpensively. For £20, though, I would simply replace it.

Peter R

J9withdogs - 2009-08-06 12:37 PM

Thanks guys. I have bought a 2kg dry powder extinguisher, which is twice the size of the one that came with the van.

I also have a fire blanket (but it's so annoying when the bottom of the container keeps falling off!)

Turn it upside down ?

( Just an idea to which I have not given any serious thought ).

:-|

J9withdogs - 2009-08-06 12:45 PM

Errmmm.....I could turn the hook upside down but I think that gravity might come into play...

Mine's hanging on a screw head, a fitting which ignores gravity.

Might need to drill a new hole in the back of the casing to hang it upside down, but it seems plausible to me.

:-|

Funnily enough I've just bought two new fire extinguishers for our motorhome, a 2KG dry powder which will live in the drivers door step for under bonnet fires (mine or someone else's) and a 2 litre AFFF foam which lives on the passenger side B pillar so its accessible from the sliding door. Total cost of both extinguishers was about £75 from the company that services my workshop extinguishers and they will check these each year too. To my mind £75 is a small price to pay for the facility to extinguish any type of fire. I opted for the AFFF foam for our living quarters as it will dry out and not stain fabric (so I'm told but I don't want to find out for real thank you).

One important point about fire extinguishers, they're totally useless if you don't know how to use them, make sure you and any passengers knows the correct procedure of operation.

D.

The dry powder extinguishers do settle and compact over time. The dodge is to give 'em a good shake now and again to loosen them up.

The foam extinguishers are more for fuel fires rather than general purpose fires. I carry a dry powder and CO2 in an outside locker of the motorhome.

I am also certified by the MOD for firefighting duties. The hope is that if a fire occurs it can be dealt with quickly enough to minimise damage. Dry powder is a very effective fire extinguishant but makes a big mess. AFFF foam is just as good at putting out most fires but will not be half as bad to clean up after.

No 1 priority of course is to make sure everyone is out of the vehicle and safe and that someone is calling in professional help before trying to fight the fire.

D.

Guest peter
J9withdogs - 2009-08-06 6:38 PM

I'm actually certified...to use fire extinguishers (from my days working for the local authority)

Not sure that stains on the upholstery will matter too much if the vans been on fire :-S

Got stains on mine, but not had a fire :$

But enough of that, Liddl have got 1Kg ones at the mo' at £6.99 :D

We recentaly had a flyer from the local Fire Search & Rescue

ie Fire Service

this is what they save abour AFF

Quote--

Foam Fire Extinguishers also called AFFF FOAM (Aqueous Film Forming Foam). Create a smothering film of foam over the fire, which starves the fire of oxygen. The foam also penetrates porous materials and cools the fire through evaporation of the water content in the foam. As the foam creates a foam carpet on burning liquids like petrol, foam extinguishers are particularly suitable for flammable liquids and areas where manmade fibres in soft furnishings and carpets might liquidise under the influence of heat. Foam extinguishers are safe for use with electrical equipment, although the electrical equipment will be seriously damaged by the liquid. This type of extinguisher usually contains powerful additives which are often carcinogenic, making the cleaning process of the premises after the event of a fire more problematic.

I think I will stay with Dry Powder I also have a couple of weird gas ones I think you cannot get them now but if the fire does not destroy the van it looks as if AFF will

Alf

alf - 2009-08-06 9:38 PM

I also have a couple of weird gas ones I think you cannot get them now but if the fire does not destroy the van it looks as if AFF will

Alf

I'm guessing your weird extinguishers use halon. This was a popular fire extinguishing gas before the effect on the Earth's atmosphere of such 'greenhouse' gasses became important. My understanding is that it's not only illegal to sell halon extinguishers in the UK, it's illegal to own them.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-08-07 7:53 AM

alf - 2009-08-06 9:38 PM

I also have a couple of weird gas ones I think you cannot get them now but if the fire does not destroy the van it looks as if AFF will

Alf

I'm guessing your weird extinguishers use halon. This was a popular fire extinguishing gas before the effect on the Earth's atmosphere of such 'greenhouse' gasses became important. My understanding is that it's not only illegal to sell halon extinguishers in the UK, it's illegal to own them.

B-) Back in the 70's, I was in the Army Fire Brigade (Civilian). We used Foam, CO2, BCF (Bromochlorodifluoromethane) and CTC (Carbon Tetrachloride) which was being phased out.

Hi

CTC (carbon tetrachloride) forms Phosgene gas when subjected to high temperatures, that's the poison gas used by the French and then the German armies in the first world war.

In the seventies the main foaming agent was Ox blood,and it took weeks for the smell to fade from your tunic.

So it looks like it's back to the stirrup pump again.

Regards PKC.

Archived