Dogs in motorhomes

Guest Peter Sharpe

Guest Peter Sharpe

Some friends of mine asked me recently if I could suggest where they could get a motorhome for under £20,000 that wouldn't look out of place on their driveway. My immediate reply was that for that amount, they should be looking at a brand new conversion of a used Toyota Hiace, or something similar. What they failed to mention was that they have a rather large and boisterous dog, which will have to accompany them on all trips.

With this in mind, they decided that they really needed something considerably larger, such as a four-berth, but preferably a larger, possibly coachbuilt two-berth, as they didn't want the interior layout to be compromised by an unwanted double dinette.

This changed things entirely, as I always feel that buying a large motorhome in the lower price range is a bit of a lottery and some of the ones they had looked at were very dour and dated.

I still think that they should really be aiming at a smaller motorhome that doesn't have the same potential for bodywork problems such as leaking seals, etc, but I have never thought about the problems of accommodating a dog. You might easily argue that a dog will soon trash any motorhome, so that it is perhaps rather pointless buying anything that is too neat and tidy.

Is there anybody on here who has managed to solve this problem and who can suggest a few models that they might look at? Any tips on keeping a dog happy on site might also be appreciated.

I thought this would make a good subject for a future buying feature in Caravan Motorhome & Camping Mart, so in other words, I am hoping that I can just sit back and take it easy while you do all the donkey work for me :-D

Seriously though, if anybody thinks they could supply any useful material on this (especially high-res photos), it could well be included and if you feel like really going to town on it and writing a feature, although it hurts me to say this, I might even be able to pay you for it.

Any contributions will be welcome, as I really have no experience of this and have no idea what to suggest. I have a feeling though, that any answers could be very helpful to a great many other people who might be in a similar situation.

Peter Sharpe

Editor

Caravan Motorhome & Camping Mart

Email: peters@warnersgroup.co.uk

Hi Peter,

I feel that it is very important to choose the right layout of motorhome irrespective of having a dog. If you are not happy with the layout yourself, the dog however well behaved, will only make the situation worse. If you are happy and contented in your motorhome, then a dog regardless of its size will curl up in a small space providing you have exercised it. At home where there is more space, our 3 still manage to lay down by our feet leaving yards of unused carpet!

I have 3 large dogs - 2 being 7 month old puppies (as big as adults now) and although they are very boisterous and in the obvious chewing stage, we have managed to keep our motorhome, our pride and joy for the last 2 years since new, in as good as new condition.

Depends on the sort of travelling your friends want to do. Now have a mid sized dog that will happily squeeze into any space as long as he is in the motorhome and travelling with us but for 16 years travelled extensively with a very lively, large, hairy mud magnet of a dog. We had a small talbot express conversion. Again the dog was happy to be in the van as long as he was with us. He did however get very hot at night and did need quite a bit of space so we had an easy to erect stand alone awning that did the job and meant we all got a good night sleep. The awning did need some slight alteration to ensure it was dog escape proof (eg he learnt to undo the zips using his teeth).

Guest Peter Sharpe

In what must be a record, I had a reply by email within minutes of posting my original message.

The more I think about it, the more potential problems arise. I wonder how many people really do go to the trouble of safely restraining their dogs while travelling. Just as with a person travelling in the back, a couple of stones of dog flying through the air during an accident hardly bears thinking about.

While the suggestions for models of dog are greatly appreciated, I don't think the owners are prepared to do a trade-in :D This beast is some kind of hunting dog cross that is bordering on the size of an Alsatian (before anybody says it - no, not a border cross collie). Do you fasten them to a seat with cling film or is it possible to fit them with velcro?

My suggestion, which seemed obvious to me, was that you simply get an awning and the dog sleeps in that. But no, it seems it isn't that easy. I can't remember if it was because the dog would be traumatised by having to sleep outside, or whether that means it would try to eat anything that strayed within its range.

Surely somebody must have a suggestion, because my other helpful suggestion, to keep it doped up on tranquilisers for a week or so, might possibly be frowned upon in some quarters.

with a large dog (newf, 13 stone) you can forget all van conversions (i looked at most) as there is not enough space for the animal to turn around, i ended up with a second hand Elddis with a rear u shape lounge and front side kitchen so the animal has enough floor space to move around in when the bed is erected.

We have travelled in many different sized vans with two rotties for many years. We have variously, depending on the age/size of the dogs, used travelling cages and/ or harnesses which attach onto a seat belt. If your dog is a chewer these may not last long! We now have a van with a large garage which has been converted by our local joiner to contain two kennels, constructed from MDF, with two metal grill doors at the garage door side and two MDF doors which have large airholes cut in them, accessible from inside. The dogs travel very happily in these, with appropriate, frequent stops. We were originally going to have specially constructed kennels made by a chap who does these for police vehicles etc but this was going to be very expensive. The DIY version works well and can be easily removed when we come to sell the van. On site we keep them on a longish lead, so that they can move about with ease but not wander, attached to a rope slung round the wheel. If it's too warm they will crawl beneath the van, again beware chewing! We put out the awning with bits added to provide shade. At night one of them lies beneath the dinette table and the other in front of the driver/passenger seats. At least that's where they start out. On occasion if they decide to get up to nonsense ie playing in the middle of the night the "little one " is placed in her kennel beneath the bed. We have had no problems. Someone suggested that placing the dogs in the garage could affect the insurance as the dogs could move about whilst travelling. Whilst they have room to turn, they can't get up and wander/move about in the same way that they could with a harness on, in the van's living area. In addition a police dog handler commented on what a good idea it was, not that he was an expert in things insurance, but he didn't throw up his hands in horror. hope this somewhat lengthy contribution is of help.

ike

Guest Peter Sharpe
david lloyd - 2009-08-07 3:24 PM

something like the Adria Twin with a cavernous underbed storage area may do the trick.

David

Thank you David, I think that would be a very good compromise. Not in this case unfortunately, because I'm sure the price would be too high for them, but I will certainly include it in a list of possibilities for other people.

A garage would be an excellent idea, but I think you would have to make sure there was access into the interior. Unless you had a very well trained dog, I would have thought it might have started howling if shut in, especially if there was no light inside. In some cases, I'm sure the problem would be resolved by the owners sleeping in the garage and the dog on the double bed.

Guest Peter Sharpe
ike - 2009-08-07 4:32 PM

We have travelled in many different sized vans with two rotties for many years. We have variously, depending on the age/size of the dogs, used travelling cages and/ or harnesses which attach onto a seat belt. If your dog is a chewer these may not last long! We now have a van with a large garage which has been converted by our local joiner to contain two kennels, constructed from MDF, with two metal grill doors at the garage door side and two MDF doors which have large airholes cut in them, accessible from inside. .

ike

Do you have any photos you could email to me Ike? I might take them to a custom van converter to see how they might approach it.

2 youngish Irish setters sleep happily on driver & passenger seats of our ancient SWB LDV 400 conversion at night. They travel unrestrained on the floor of the van but because of furniture front seats etc and speed the van is able to go I think the danger of them hurtling through the air in an accident is minimal, but I accept that it could happen. When well exercised they settle quickly on the floor when parked - as has been said already dogs like the close proximity. The main difficulty is avoiding treading on them when moving about as they take up a lot of floor space!

We are in the early stages of planning a bespoke conversion on a Medium or Long wheelbase Renault Master/Ford transit type panel van, and space for dogs is of paramount importance. Earlier this week we went to Mill Garage in Duns (Scottish Borders) who should be able to source a van (1-2 year old, low/med mileage) and convert - with 6' double bed, and all the basics (fridge, toilet, hob, grill, sink, heating etc.) and space for dogs for around the £20,000 mark. Considering some of the prices for SWB second hand converted high tops we think this is excellent value.

If it is not too late by the time it is finished we will keep you posted as to how the conversion goes, and how successful it is for both us and the dogs!

Magbrin

Peter ... you're a lazy b*gger!!! :D ;-) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Okay, we've had dogs ever since we've had motorhomes. Things to consider:

1) What size vehicle will their drive take

2) What are their 'must have' requirements: eg minimum size of bed (either fixed or made up from seats), what cooking and washing facilities are needed, how much lounging space is required, etc.

3) Once they have sorted out 1) and 2) they can then start to look for a motorhome or van that will suit them and also accommodate their dog.

We, up until recently, had three dogs, a 6kg Patterdale, a 10kg cross Westie/Jack Russell, and a 20kg 'heffalump' cross Greyhounds/Staffie. The heffalump slept on one side of the dinette, the smallest one on the other, and the 10kg one on the end of our bed (as he was poorly) but otherwise would've quite happily slept between the dinette on the floor on a nice big dog bed (made out of an old duvet). A larger dog should be able to sleep on a nice big bed on the floor too so long as there was room for the 'humans' to still move around unhindered. Ideally, a van where the dog doesn't have to sleep between them and the washroom would be best as they won't want to have to stumble over him when in a hurry to pay a visit.

In the past we've had a 'traditional' style side settee with dinette opposite, rear offside corner washroom and rear nearside kitchen, in this one dog slept on the floor near the front between the settee and dinette and the other slept under the table which made the base of the dinette bed - he had his own little 'cave' ... we used to call him the pit monster!

It's important that the dog can move and turn around without difficulty - only they will know how much 'space' their dog needs to do this - despite her size, our heffalump can turn on a sixpence but our little 'pit monster' needed more space!

If they have room for a larger van then the bigger the better as a larger van is likely to keep cooler in hot weather than a smaller one. It is especially important to consider this if looking at van conversions and they intend to go to warmer climes (wherever that may be!) as they will get hotter than a coachbuilt.

They also need to think about payload - if they go for a smaller van it may not have a generous payload and the weight of the dog (and it’s paraphernalia) needs to be included in this - what may be fine for 2 adults and all their kit, may be borderline once a large dog is included.

Upholstery etc can soon be protected by the placing of cloths or removable covers - they're not that hard to make so long as you know your way round a sewing machine. Removable carpets can be ... removed ... and replaced with offcuts or rugs/runners (if required at all) which can be taken out and washed/shaken etc to keep them clean and the floor swept - I certainly wouldn't recommend a van with fixed carpet.

Fixtures etc - the table in our van is covered with a mattress protector pad cut down and doubled over, it then has a plastic type tablecloth over the top - easy to wipe down and no risk of the dogs damaging the table should they go near it. Obviously when using the table a second cloth/plastic cover is placed on it first. I’m assuming the dog is not a 'chewer' so the furniture should be okay - if it is then there's not a lot they can do really and I'd suggest if there are problems like this then they need to go to a training class with it.

Travelling: We do not restrain our dogs - one travels on my knee on a large cushion and one is usually on the floor between the front seats on her nice big comfy ‘duvet’ bed. We do have proper dog travel restraints/harnesses but the dogs get very restless when wearing them as they do restrict their ability to get comfy so we’ve taken the decision that we’d rather let them be contented and travel in comfort rather than have them being restless and getting fed up.

Holidaying with a dog - you have to be prepared for the extra effort you’ll have to put in. By this I mean you can’t just do you what you might at home and open the back door and shove them out into the garden on their own for however long and then let them back in again, you have to go out with them, walk them around etc - it takes time - they have to be supervised, even if ‘secured’ on a long lead. A dog may be very well behaved etc but what you cannot control is who else is out there, another dog may come along, or a child etc - so you have to be much more ‘aware’.

Doggy bits - As well as the dog, they need to think about all of its ‘baggage’ - dog food, its always best to take a fair bit with you if you can to keep their digestive system happy … the consequences of getting this wrong can be … well … ‘interesting’!!! Keeping a supply of some dog tummy medicine is highly recommended. Then there’s the bed, balls, toys, towels, leads, balls, blanket, … did I say balls? Our van has more balls in it than Wimbledon!

I’ll shut up now and let someone else have a ‘bark’! (LOL)

i have bought a swift kon tiki 650 which has lots of room but i have a medium size young terrier that really fills it, i could not imagine living with him in a smaller van, when we had hime first we had an autosleeper talisman which we found to small. when travelling we have a cage which fits neatly between the pullman style seats and he is as safe as houses.

Hi,

In 1967, we sent our dog to UK from Malaya. He flew QANTAS 707, we flew Bristol Britania troop-ship (extra row of seats) - 26 hours.

I made a plywood crate according to MAFF advice ....... not too much space so he wouldn't get throw around. Something like height to top of his head, one-and-a-half times his length, and twice his width across shoulders to give him room to turn round.

I would be very wary of putting my dog in a 'garage' for transport, purely from a health and safety point of view. The rear end of a motorhome is not renown in most cases for being able to withstand a rear end shunt without severe damage ... now if a dog was in there I hate to think what the outcome would be! :-(

The only safe way, in my view, to do this would be to have a rear bump bar put on too.

Guest Peter Sharpe

Some excellent information here so thanks to everybody. I didn't realise you carried dogs in your motorhome Mel or I would have contacted you directly.

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I forgot my password and couldn't log in from home :$

• 2 weeks later...

When we first had our pup we had a caravan and she lay between the front settees, this was also her place when the bed was made up; as she got bigger she just automatically crawled beneath the bed when we retired.

We only recently bought our motorhome and have spent just a couple of nights in it so far. We have a 1/2 dinette and assumed that she would again choose to lie by the side of the front side settee. She did this at first but then decided that she preferred to be between the two front seats, this is better as she is not in the way of us moving about.

She has never been allowed onto furniture at home and so has never tried to get onto the upholstery in the vans and she has never chewed anything other than her toys; therefore no damage to the van.

When travelling she is in a harness which is fastened below the table so that she can be comfortable in her bed, but not move freely.

I would not travel with her in a rear garage both for safety reasons and also because she is a dog that craves company and would not be happy to be at that distance from us if she could see we were there.

When on site we use a screw in stake and a long lead on her harness so she can come into the van or be outside but under control.

I wish there was more reference to dogs in magazine articles; for instance, what size dog walking area does a site have? These range from little more than a dog toilet to a few acres where the dog can have a good run morning and night. When giving details of walks local to sites I would like to know if they go through fields with sheep, do the pubs on route welcome dogs/have a garden? In the case of local attractions, do they allow dogs or have day kennels?

I'm sure that many people choose this type of holiday because it allows them to include their pets and more info of this type would be very welcome.

Mel B - 2009-08-08 9:59 PM I would be very wary of putting my dog in a 'garage' for transport, purely from a health and safety point of view. The rear end of a motorhome is not renown in most cases for being able to withstand a rear end shunt without severe damage ... now if a dog was in there I hate to think what the outcome would be! :-( The only safe way, in my view, to do this would be to have a rear bump bar put on too.

Personally I've always hated the thought of sharing my motorhome with a smelly dog or two. However I'm now seriously considering a St. Bernard or something equally large. If I put it in the rear garage and I was shunted from behind it could save me thousands of pounds worth of damage to the motorhome. I must look up the cost of a dog and balance that against the amount it would save by absorbing the crash impact. Can you get a free dog from anywhere? That would make it really cost effective.

Thanks for the tip - brilliant bit of advice. :-D:-D

Guest Tracker

Surely Rupert a bullock would make a far bigger and much better air bag than a St Bernard - with the added advantage that you can have steaks and burgers whilst you wait for the vehicle recovery - not to mention the possibilities for new shoes or cowboy boots, a cowboy jacket, and possibly a new leather cowboy hat as well?

I commend the idea to the house!

I agree with Mel B about driving with dogs in a garage although it is used by many people who compete in agility or other dog sports.

We have one of the fabric fold up cages that fits between the front dinette (we have the seats either side of the van) so there is a gap in the middle and a step up to the cab area so it can't go anywhere, we use this for long runs and higher speeds, when we have reached our main touring area and take things at a much more leisurely pace on small roads they are in harnesses attached to the bed legs - not sure how it would hold up in a crash but should be enough to stop the flying through the windscreen, also it stops them lounging on the bed (which would be their favoured way to travel). Sorry all you house proud owners but have dogs - have dog hair, nothing you can do about it, plus they are much easier than the kids ever were on holiday!

Archived