Dogs in motorhomes

Guest Peter Sharpe

The only thing we found when we swapped to a motorhome from a caravan was the dog, used to travelling in a cage in the back of the car, would not travel in the same cage. He panicked, didn't like it at all. He now travels on the floor between the front seats. Otherwise we have made no changes to the van and suffered no damage. I have to say even at home he never chews anything other than his own stuff.

Rgds

Bill

I have heard a rumour that there is a new law in France that all dogs must travel in a fitted cage or be restrained to a mounting in the vehicle as passengers are already required to. Not sure if it is to prevent a dog crashing through the windscreen in the event of a crash or an over excited dog leaping on to the driver while moving.

Information was from a French immoblier removing his cage in his car.

david lloyd - 2009-08-07 12:48 PM

Most appropriate models on our list would be either:

Yorkshire Terrier

or

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Either fit easily into our panel van conversion.....................

David

Or Jack Russell Terrier. The ones quoted above are Pansies dogs. A JRT is a real mans pooch. :D

Hi,

A bloke knocked on our door, said he work at the factory where they make those big Volvo (?) earth movers that you see building motorways. He wanted to know how our German Shepherd could carry more mud than one of his trucks. :-D

magbrin - 2009-08-07 6:01 PM

We are in the early stages of planning a bespoke conversion on a Medium or Long wheelbase Renault Master/Ford transit type panel van, and space for dogs is of paramount importance. Earlier this week we went to Mill Garage in Duns (Scottish Borders) who should be able to source a van (1-2 year old, low/med mileage) and convert - with 6' double bed, and all the basics (fridge, toilet, hob, grill, sink, heating etc.) and space for dogs for around the £20,000 mark. Considering some of the prices for SWB second hand converted high tops we think this is excellent value.

Magbrin

We have confirmed today - 08 Renault Master MWB (23,000m) as detailed above for 20,600. It took some negotiating and pencil sharpenning but anticipate high quality spacious conversion with lots of natural light (& sources of air for the dogs). A little above the original figure both of OP and our own budget, but I still think it is excellent value & will keep you informed once we have tried it out.

Magbrin

Hi guys,

It appears i may actually have just accidentally started a new thread with this post :-S instead of adding to the end of this one. Oh well, i'll try again!

Seeing as you are all happy campers with your furry four legged friends on here, i thought it might be an idea to point out my dad's business "k9gates" (if the power's at be will let me!). He custom makes wooden dog gates specifically for motorhomes/caravans etc that fit into the doorway with no fixings, holes or screws etc. easy to use, easy to store. He can even adapt them for you to fit between the seats in the cab for use whilst driving to prevent any little muts from sleeping under the pedals! I would highly recommend you take a look at the website and invest in one (obviously i'm slightly biased as my dad makes them, but honestly, they're brilliant - mum and dad use one for their german shepherd all the time)

http://www.k9gates.webs.com

cheers guys, if anyone has any questions just email/PM me or use the contact form on the website. (lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived