chausson allegro 83

Guest CHRISTINE EVANS

Guest CHRISTINE EVANS
Does anyone own a chausson allegro 83 van. It is high on our list at the moment but looking for more information etc.Read 2 reviews from 2004 and 2005 and see that the new models have rectified the niggles. Look forward to any replies Thanks

Guest Brian Kirby
I'd only say look hard at the quality and relative second hand prices. The Chausson / Challenger models are good value initially, but they don't have the same reputation for keeping their interior good looks as, for example Autosleeper, Hymer, Burstner, Hobby or Rapido. They just tend to get slightly "tired" that bit quicker. Brian

Brian is right - Chausson/Challenger are both built in the same factory and are at the budget end of the French model range. But they stand up well against, say CI/Roller (also budget range and also, incidentally, owned by the French Trigano Group who also own CI, Autostar, Benimar, Euramobil and several others).

Guest CHRISTINE EVANS
thanks for the replies. The comments are informative but confused that you say the Allegro is budget range when it cost £38,000 upwards. I know the welcome range is budget though. Must say we are totally perplexed now as to what van to go for. We want:- Forward belted rear seats, comfortable, lounging seats, quality build, 3.5 tons, 2.8 or equivalent engine. lowline or A class. We had Adria, Burnster, Dethleff and rapido on list with a budget of about £38-40,000 keeping in mind we are part exchanging a Bessacarr 435 for our next van. The more we see the more we find things we cant live with or live without as the case may be. Thanks Chris

Guest Brian Kirby
Christene I think you may have misread Mel's, and my own, comments a bit. The Allegros are at the top of the Chausson range. What Mel is saying is that Chausson, as a whole, is a "budget" marque in France. Hence you have the most expensive model from a budget range. That doesn't make it a bad buy. It's more or less the same with cars. Prices being equal, do you buy the cheapest model from a high quality manufacturer, or the most expensive model from a budget manufacturer? Provided you know exactly what you're getting, and your happy with it, either is good. Remember those Ford Cortinas with all the leather trim? Still Cortinas. If you want to keep your new van more than a few years, you're probably better off going for a cheaper model from a higher quality producer. If not, the Allegro will be fine. I'm reporting the more generally held French view of their own products. Obviously, not all the French would agree, but the French second hand market prices seems generally to support the view that these ranges are not so durable as the others mentioned. Trigano are a huge company, and the Chausson/Challenger ranges both come from the same factory. This was, and maybe still is, the largest motorhome production facility in Europe. Therefore, Trigano's buying power is vast, and they get very sharp prices from their suppliers. No problem there, this is largely reflected in the price of the product. However, if you look closely at the furnishings you'll find that they are not quite so well made and finished as the higher quality manufacturers achieve in their budget ranges. Try looking critically at almost anything from the Hymer stable, for example. They are also a huge producer, under their own name but also under Burstner, Liaka, TEC and one or two others that I can't remember (but Mel will!). If you do, I think you'll find they are just that bit better put together. What they do have is a reputation, generally, for a product that lasts well. Upholstery fabrics that are more durable, seat and mattress foam with a bit more density, fewer rough corners, better thought out 12V electrics, more options (at a price, admittedly). That sort of thing. They just keep their looks that bit longer. If you want winter use, then look at Eura Mobil or Dethleffs, who seem to have their insulation and heating better sorted than most. At any rate, they are very popular with the Swedes and Norwegians mainly, it seems, for that reason. If you want the pure, unabashed luxury end, look at Arca, Notin, Frankia, LeVoyageur, or Esterel. Then you'll see that the description of the Chausson/Challenger range as "budget" isn't derogatory. They are honest probducts built down to a price, but sold at a premium in UK bacause they are imports. Current price of Allegro 83, in France, Renault Master 2.5 dCi base, 49,200 Euros, 3.0 dCi base, 50,700 Euros. Say £32,500 and £33,500 respectively. For me, that's about where they sit, value wise. The rest is import cost and UK dealer "bunce". Tell them you want a LHD model, and see what they quote! Hope this doesn't just add to the confusion! Regards Brian

Thanks Brian, A sound explanation that has cleared things up. The more I look into a van the more I get confused. Never mind its fun looking. Thanks for the recomendations and I will research them all (As long as we can afford it)

Guest Brian Kirby
Christene From what you said above, I think you may be looking for something that is a bit unique - that is not to say it doesn't exist, though. Most of what you outline as your requirement is a pretty standard French motorhome. That is to say the most populay layout type on the French market: a low profile, fixed bed, good washroom and shower, kitchen area and dining area. Being a Brit, you then want a lounge. I think that's where the problem arises. On the whole, the French relax while eating, and around the table afterwards. They take long meals. The Brits, on the whole, just scoff their tucker as quickly as possible, then want to leave the table and sit elsewhere to relax! I think what you are really looking for is a French type motorhome with a British type lounge. What the French do produce, however, is a front dinette that, in a number of versions, incorporates longitudinal sofas that are intended to seat additional diners. These are fine to relax on, but you'll generally find the dining table cannot be removed. Partially folded, yes, retracted back from the sofa, yes, but not taken out altogether. However, the French have recently been persuaded that they really shouldn't continue to use side facing seats for travel - don't ask! One maker I am aware of has recently responded to this change (its that awful EC again!) by having two short sofas either side of the front mounted certre dining table, facing each other. So far, so normal. However, the forward end of each sofa is a sliding extension that, when retracted, allows the seat to be used facing forwards and, when extended, allows an additional person to sit at the table. The two forward facing seats thus created are equipped with proper three point seat belts, although the headrestraints may need a hard looking at to be sure they are up to the job. Maker Bavaria (German), model R 65 FP (new model, not quite fully de-bugged), base Renault Master 2.5 dCi. However, the bed is a bit savagely sliced off by the washroom door. Cost (in France) 46250 Euros. Imported? Not so far as I know. You might also look at the Chausson Allegro 67 that comes on a Citroen 2.8 HDI Power (146 HP) base at 55,770 Euros and may be imported. I think you may well find more or less exactly what you want if you research the French, and perhaps more so the German, markets. You may be able to persuade an importer to bring over a model not offered in UK, but you'd probably have to settle for LHD if you did. If LHD is an acceptable option, unless you get really good prices from an importer, look in France and/or Germany to buy and save yourselves quite a packet into the bargain! Put another way, your budget would get you just into the Hymer B Classic range, or most of the Rapido platform cab (but not AlKo chassis) range, to quote two marques that I know are imported. The UK motorhome market is, actually, quite small, and very wedded to sofas that convert to beds. Both the French and the German markets are much larger, both favour the kind of layout you're seeking, and neither is particularly interested in mucking around with sofas when they want to go to bed! Good luck Brian

Thanks Brian We have mainly been looking at continental vans for some time and studying hard on layout , payload etc. It is really difficult because you study reports and brochures and you cant wait to see the van and you are disappointed for various reasons especially "uncomfortable seats" or wrong layout. I believe our ideal van would have an L shaped bench with long bench opposite with removable table. The sofa would have to have support on the arms otherwise you fall off the end. Rapido 927 is perfect layout but that is out of our pricebracket. Never mind, the right van (and dealer) will turn up soon. Dont really want a dealer a couple of hundred miles away either as we will be putting our van in for part exchange. Thanks Chris

• 4 years later...
There is a lot of prejudice out there regarding the Chausson marque. I found this thread whilst looking for something else, and could not believe my eyes! 8-) I have run a Welcome 74 since January 2006 and never had a problem with it. It is certainly not a 'budget' van (Welcome was the mid-range model, Allegro being at the top end). All the furniture, cabinetry and upholstery has lasted very well, the massive array of wooden-fronted lockers still shine like new, and none of the interior fittings look the least bit 'tired'. There are people out there who would buy a tea-chest and go and live in it so long as it was made by Hymer/Hobby/Karmann or any one with a German-sounding name! *-) It's about time the Chausson was recognised for what it is, a quality motorhome at a competitive price. Go and buy one with confidence, don't let the badge snobs put you off...

Anthony

Were you in a bad mood before you read this four-and-a-half year old string, or did reading it put you in a bad mood?

I've just read back over the lot, and can't imagine what you read to lead you to detect prejudice against Chausson (or Challenger, for that matter).  What was stated was fair, and reflected the state of the market, and the reputations of the marques under consideration, four-and-a-half years ago. 

Times change, and I would say that the Chausson/Challenger marques have improved their relative quality over the past four years - no doubt reflecting your experience.

However, it is hardly possible to answer in February 2006, questions posed in February 2006, with knowledge gained in 2010, now is it?  What do you want?  Clairvoyance, or time travel?  :-)

Doubtless your comment about expensively labelled tea chests is true, but please count me out!  I respond to what I see, and what I hear, and what the market says, so far as possible.  Glad yours is still going strong!

Sorry Brian, my little rant wasn't directed at you. I always find your posts to be fair and informative. :$ I admit to getting more than a little peeved at the sometimes patronising tone of some MMM contributors who damn the Chausson with faint praise. One reviewer of a Hymer back in '06 was smitten by the handbrake being situated on the right of the driver, and thought this must be a first for the UK market - it wasn't - my Welcome had it; the Hobby I had inspected did not, and you needed to release it to swivel the seat! The Welcome also has an inboard water tank, and has been our home from home for the last 5 winters without a hitch. I think that the more I use my 'van, the more I appreciate its quality... Again, this is no reflection on any of your posts my good Sir...

Hi Brian - you are very kind. I had been searching the archives for a bit of info on a circuit board that transfers the Transit lighting to the coach-build. It is screwed under the floor and is cunningly located just behind the offside rear wheel! Five seasons and 15000 miles worth of roadgrime and salty water have not been kind to it and I had to clean it all up to get two amber side-lights to function. Perhaps Chaussons aren't perfect after all! :'( It was during this search that I came across the thread. Never did find anything about the circuit board though :D

Archived