Awning for motorhomes

4petedaniel

Some time ago I asked advice about awnings to fit a Motorhome and was given a lot of good advice.

But no one recommened any model I have been looking at the the suncamp ultima 260 which I like the looks of but now find it is the old model and there is now a Ultima 260 Plus.

anyone had any expeariance of either of these models and can they pass on there views or does any one else know of a better one

hiya we have a movelite awning very lightweight easy to put up on not so windy days you can use it as a tent buying the inner tent part which is very handy with extra guests all doors on 2009 model open wide so you can use as a gazebo only downside is that on very windy days abit of a struggle holding down but once up ok also it is a driveaway very handy

I have a Sunncamp Ultima 260 (not the plus) I think the difference is two vertical poles near the van wall. Anyway I am happy with it, very quick to set up (10 to 15Mins). One caution is the height of your motorhome. I have an Autotrail Cheyenne and the awning rail in the Fiamma awning is higher than the max recommended which I think is 250cm. This means that part of the ground flap if I can call it that becomes part of the side wall. Not ideal but it works ok for me. I am looking for a way to extend either the lower part of the side walls or the way in which it attched to the awning rail.

Dave

bolero680fb - 2009-08-10 11:05 PM

to the person with the sarcastic comments just to let you know that my movelite awning is NOT FOR SALE i have just come back from a 2wks hols and will be continuing to use it for all year round .

so nothing like self arrogance many regards facts first

Hi Bolero

I think you've read the posting by Tony wrongly ... he's chastising himself for his 'free advertising', not having a go at you! :-D

Firstly my apolgies if my mail caused offence, but as Mel said I was advertising my awning for sale, and that there seemed to be some good purchases in the classified section.

Thanks to Mel, for comming to my defence.

Rgds

PS My awning still up for sale :$

pamwinst - 2009-08-10 7:13 AM How about fitting an awning rail below your windout awning (like they have on caravans). We're just thinking about doing that so any opinions would be welcome.

I would say don't!  They are screw fixed, so require holes in the side of the van.  They have to be fixed at relatively close centres, so need a lot of holes all in a straight line, all into a continuous substantial rail, or they will just pull away from the side of the van.  If you can be sure you have the necessary frame in the wall, and you really feel you must, take great care with sealing and use only stainless steel screws.  Do not, on any account, if your van side walls are of aluminium sheet, use brass screws!

PJay - 2009-08-13 12:35 PM

Hi Malc, interesting awing. How does it conect to the van? Does it attach to any awing, or is the cover at the top part of the suncamp?

We have a fiammi awing, would it fit that?

HI, If you wind out your canopy Fiamma or Omnistore you will see it has a channel in the front cover bit, simply slide the awning cord into that and wind the canopy back in, if the channel on your canopy is to small in bore you can buy an adaptor piece to fit.

vindiboy - 2009-08-11 2:00 PM

Several dealers will be at Malvern Show selling Suncamp Awnings, I don't think Suncamp as such attend shows as they seem to rely on other dealers to sell their products, Am I right ??

Went to the show but could not see a Suncamp but there was was a Windsor 260 the only differance between the Windsor 260 and the Suncamp 260 that I could see was the price.

Brought a Suncamp 260 on the net £55 cheaper.

I had the Sunncamp 260 on my Cheyenne and was very pleased with it. I even managed a couple of times to erect it singlehandedly although threading through the Omnistor was the hardest part. It stood up well to some very strong winds in Devon in June but one night there was a terrific gale and nothing I could do could save it. The gale was so strong that I couldn't get it down and the rubbers stretched to about 18". The inevitable happened and it flew completely over the roof of the m/home. Still only one large rip though and that was caused by one of the poles splintering. Many other people lost their awnings during that night and the rest of the three week stay.

My motorhome insurance policy covers storm damage so I phoned them to report the loss. To my added distress they said that I would have to pay the excess of £200, obviously more than a new awning would cost. That seems to be a big excess on camping gear.

Patricia - 2009-08-21 10:32 PM

I had the Sunncamp 260 on my Cheyenne and was very pleased with it. I even managed a couple of times to erect it singlehandedly although threading through the Omnistor was the hardest part. It stood up well to some very strong winds in Devon in June but one night there was a terrific gale and nothing I could do could save it. The gale was so strong that I couldn't get it down and the rubbers stretched to about 18". The inevitable happened and it flew completely over the roof of the m/home. Still only one large rip though and that was caused by one of the poles splintering. Many other people lost their awnings during that night and the rest of the three week stay.

Hi Patricia

You mentioned that you fitted your Suncamp to your Oministor do you happen to know if the awning was a 3mm or 6 mm as my Fiamma awning is a 3mm fixing and I dont want to be in a position when I attempt to put it up that I find I have to order an adaptor

My motorhome insurance policy covers storm damage so I phoned them to report the loss. To my added distress they said that I would have to pay the excess of £200, obviously more than a new awning would cost. That seems to be a big excess on camping gear.

4petedaniel - 2009-08-22 8:29 AM

Hi Patricia

You mentioned that you fitted your Suncamp to your Oministor do you happen to know if the awning was a 3mm or 6 mm as my Fiamma awning is a 3mm fixing and I dont want to be in a position when I attempt to put it up that I find I have to order an adaptor

Hi Daniel

I suspect that it is 3mm as it is very small and therefore difficult to pull through. I used some rail lubricant on it and this helps. My Omnistor dates from 2001.

aj8one - 2009-08-22 10:18 AM

Anyone know what the difference is between the 260 & 260+ (plus) except the price. The plus seems to be about £50 dearer

I have a 260 but I believe that recently they brought out the 260 plus which has the addition of two vertical poles that fit to the edges running vertically against the van. The 260 has no poles at this location.

Patricia - 2009-08-22 11:03 AM

4petedaniel - 2009-08-22 8:29 AM

Hi Patricia

Hi Daniel

I suspect that it is 3mm as it is very small and therefore difficult to pull through. I used some rail lubricant on it and this helps. My Omnistor dates from 2001.

No way will it go through the awning grove I have a small samle of the 6mm-3mm pipping and I can't even get that through on the 6mm side. now looking for a drive away kit.

• 2 weeks later...
aj8one - 2009-09-02 6:54 PM having problem locating adapter to fit fiamma t45i figure 8 plastic widely available however the 6mm to 3mm awning chord all the dealers claiming this not available

The awning chord is called Kaydor strip and is available here -

http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/shop/outdoor_revolution_drive-away_awning_kit_fiamma_omnistor__2682

There are two sizes, 6mm to 6mm for use connecting to caravan awning rails and 6mm to 4mm for use connecting to a Fiamma or Omnistor. 

Archived