Seitz cassette windows security

Silken Fred

Our motorhome was broken into by someone using some sort of tool to break off one of the three plastic catches on the Seitz window and then undoing the other two to gain entry (the alarm was unfortunately off!) Luckily, no more damage but we lost a lot of stuff. Does anyone have any ideas for securing these windows or maybe some sort of alarm system. The plastic catches seem incredibly flimsy to be the only way to lock windows on many expensive campers.

Guest JudgeMental

This is the weakest area of van security as nothing practical can really be done unless you want to add wire mesh or bars :-S

But you at least need an alarm with interior sensor that will trigger system if some one gets inside.......Plus leave no valuables in it? a chore I know, but the alternatives can be disastrous. *-)

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2009-08-11 5:54 PM

JudgeMental - 2009-08-11 4:40 PM

...Plus leave no valuables in it? a chore I know, but the alternatives can be disastrous.

Come on Eddie you know that's not really possible for us Motorhomer's unless we take a Sherpa with us.

our bikes are secured and locked in garage. all our electronics are now portable and get carried in bags......that leaves the ourdoor stuff/ wall fixedTV/ clothing/books /DVDs / food/ drink *-) nothing irreplaceable or too expensive?

insurance covers it all presumably and the mess and damage which is probably the worst part........ but without the sat nav/camera/ phones/Ipods/ Arcos & passports we would have real problems?

I take the view they don't know what's in the van until they have broken in and by then they have done the damage & crated havoc.

My laptop is only a NC10 Netbook but even that I don't want to lug around on the bike & I must confess to leaving the passports in the van most of the time.

I agree with the judge! There isn't any secure window locks on a motorhome because they are plastic, so the alarm with internal sensors seems to me to be the only deterent, that and a dog!

When we bought our first van I was asking at the dealers for special door and window locks, the salesman was nodding and totting up the total costs. One of their fitters showed me how he could open all our windows with a sort of "L" shaped chisel tool he had made. As fast as he was walking round the van he was opening windows! He said " Now do you want to spend your money on locks?!"

We just got a better category alarm instead.

Don't have nightmares!

Thanks for your comments. I guess I hoped someone would have an ingenious way of fitting a simple catch or alarm. I bought some magnetic door/window alarms but I cant find a way to attach them because they are designed for flush fitting doors and the cassette edges on the windows dont give a level surface. However I'll keep searching for an answer.

Guest JudgeMental
I remember reading on a forum that someone observed 2 lads pushing a 3rd up on to a motorhome roof, where he forced the heki and dropped though into the van.The alarm sounded - no one took a blind bit of notice as per usual - and the thief exited the van a few minutes later with 2 pillowcases full of swag and the 3 sauntered away down the road......... what can be done to stop this? absolutely nothing, except possibly leaving a doberman in th van *-)

having been broken into, even with our border collie on board, it isn't fun - but a van with obvious deterrent on it is better than nothing.

We now have extra locks on the doors as well as a Vanbitz alarm (which wasn't switched on as he dog was aboard) and hide the valuables. We no longer have the collie but she was useless as a guard dog anyway! ;-) I always carry a steering wheel lock as well as a set of straps to put on the cab doors when we are parked somewhere dodgy.

All you can ever hope to do is deter the opportunist - anyone who really wants to break in always will, regardless of the security levels!

My alarm is fantastic . I can set the van be inside dancing which I often do windows open but if anyone leans into the van and breaches this invisible screen boy does it howl...

:D get a good alarm and make sure you always use it what ever the weather ..or dance :D

messerschmitt owner - 2009-08-12 4:53 PM We now have extra locks on the doors as well as a Vanbitz alarm (which wasn't switched on as he dog was aboard) and hide the valuables.

Surely you can set the VanBitz alarm so that it deactivates the internal sensors but still alarms the doors.

I was looking at the Bimobil website earlier. They are a German motorhome manufacturer. According to their website they "fit theft protection devices which prevents the windows being opened from the outside while the windows are in the night lock position".

That suggests devices are available......somewhere.

on our last trip we parked on an aire and a french van next to us had automatic metal roller shutters on the windows which were operated from inside the van...they were integrated/colour co-ordinated with the body..not an addition/ after thought...and looked very smart

unfortunately, the van had gone when we woke next morning so we weren't able to get any info

cheers

berti

Cab windows are toughened glass, so easily, and almost soundlessly, broken.  Many cab doors can then be opened via the internal release.  Other windows, and rooflights, stand proud of the surrounding bodywork, so afford a good finger grip of the edge of the window.  Plastics, as their name implies, and flexible and bend readily.  Even were metal catches installed, the flexing of a plastic window would disengage them: the plastic catches normally used just yield to pressure.  Many door latches are plastic, and even the metal "automotive" type are only attached to wooden frames through thin aluminium sheet.  There is absolutely nothing about the way a motorhome is made that will resist most casual, and any determined, thieves.

On this basis, it is preferable not to leave anything valuable on display, and to close as many as possible of the window blinds when leaving the van unoccupied.  If the thief can't see in, he can't see who/what is inside, so can't decide if entry is worth the risk.  No, they are not all so logical, but that reduces the odds a bit.

When we leave the van, we usually have with us all our important bits, cameras, phones, money, passports, cards etc etc.  We do leave a relatively low value laptop behind, that has as little information on it as possible.  Its loss would be a nuisance, and very irritating, but not a catastrophe, and overall no more of a problem than anything else that might be taken, or the sheer inconvenience of damage caused to gain entry and having subsequently to faff around with police and insurance claims.

When away, we leave the van parked as little as possible, mainly at supermarkets where there are many people around and there is good visibility.  That apart, if we are not in it, it is usually on a campsite, and if the site or its occupants seem dodgy, or we think a perimeter is insecure, we go elsewhere, or away from that perimeter.  Using reliable guides, however, we have visited very few sites where security issues have made us uneasy.

We have not found aires generally to our liking, because we like to live and eat outside the van whenever we can, because campsite barriers, and a nearby office, just give that little bit of extra comfort, and because we prefer to use the site facilities.

We avoid, wherever possible, the large "family" sites, and we seldom use coastal locations that attract large numbers of visitors.  Having said that, we have used sites near, or in, a number of European cities, but have invariably found these well run and well monitored.

Sites are more expensive, but you get more for your money, and the overall cost has so far worked out at a bit more than we spend on food, but less than we spend on fuel.  So not insignificant, but not a show stopper either, and we get relative peace of mind.

We have no alarm, and do not feel the need for one, but I would not set one on a campsite anyhow, and these are our almost exclusive habitat.  I'm not saying right or wrong about using sites, and I know break-ins on sites have occurred, and do occur.  However, you do get better security and, with that, more comfort.

At home, the van is on our drive, where it is not too prominent.  If it were parked in the street, I would leave all the blinds up, and all the cupboard doors open, so that it could easily be seen to be empty.  I would then be strongly tempted to fit an alarm, to make actual theft of the van more difficult, but also to sound off if the van were damaged by another vehicle.

Just a point of view, of course, so don't get over excited!

Archived