What's your opinion, Large or small?

Green Bees

I know they say size does not matter, but in this case it might!

Hello all,

Shell and Graham here, we are begining to research our much sort after and hard worked for dream of buying a motor home and disappearing off into the big blue yonder in search of adventure and a "Life"!

In about five years time we will as I said purchase a motor home and we have been looking at Winniebago, aspects and Concords. (aprox 30 foot in length)

However speaking to a couple we met at Dudleys of Oxfordshire the other day, they have been doing what we want to do and they advised if you get a too bigger motorhome you will have problems getting into some european campsites and getting into small towns and villages etc.

Has anyone got a van 30 feet and upwards that they have experienced these problems with and does anyone have any advice or opinions about what size vehicle is suitable. Once we are ready, we plan to push off for 10years +

I know this raises other questions and we will post them as and when but for now what's your take?

Guest JudgeMental

Welcome! :-D

Not a fan of RV style motorhomes as I'm into touring and low impact non conspicuous consumption........ (lol) But if you are intending to full time you will need a large van so no choice really. I prefer European vans but US RVs a probably offer better value.

There are other forums including Motorhomefun which may be more useful as more members seem to have RV's. For instance I was looking yesterday and they were discussing fuel and stopping at French municipal sites, which surprisingly don't seem to be a problem generally.

If you intend to stay in one place for some time and have a second means of transport for exploration and shopping then get a big 'un. If you intend to tour and use the one vehicle for everything, then you really need to think smaller.

We have toured extensively and have been in places and over narrow passes where we would not have enjoyed driving a 30ft 'van (not impossible, but it would have been difficult and nerve wracking).

Our van is an Autosleeper Duetto, as was our previous model and we have been away for three months at a time without a problem. Remember that 6 metres is a commonly used point when tolls take a hike upwards, so for somewhere like Norway, it would be more expensive for your big 'van. We have met several people full-timing in 22-25 ft 'vans and they seemed quite happy.

At the end of the day, it's your call and it depends on what you can and will accept by way of living space and driving convenience.

Welcome, Shell and Graham,

I have friends who Full timed for 3 years in an AS Duetto and also toured New Zealand in a 5 cwt van! they are still full timing 10 years on, in a 22 ft low profile, So anything is possible, only you can decide.

My take on this is, get the smallest van you are comfortable with, but with a good amount of storage space, (I prefer a fixed bed layout for this and other reasons), I find after 3 months of playing cushion Rubik cube you lose the will to live. I found the large vans I have owned a pain, particularly in supermarkets, others don't find them a problem.

You don't say if you are currently a van owner, if not can I politely suggest you get a cheap one pronto? Who knows, if you find you are happy with it , you may not need to work so long to realize your dream.

Beware of 'last van syndrome' the dealers forecourts are littered with some of my 'final choices'.

Regards PKC.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Henry David Thoreau.

Hello PKC,

Thanks for your thoughts and comments I started "Vanning" in my middle to late teens, belonged to National Street Van Association. Had several vans in varying sizes and ended with a Ford Transit, chopped roof with long wheel base. The interior was a DIY job with the Fixed bed! I so hate cushion rubix cubes!! so what ever we get next has to have a fixed bed!

Hear what you and the rest of the guys are saying and appreciate your thoughts on the size of vehicle. The reason we want a biggy is because, I've done my years (In the UK only) of doing it small and in my old age want a bit of luxury. Like being able to stand up straight to get dressed and have a separate loo, where you dont have to shut all the curtains in the van and send out occupants just to do what comes naturally. As this is going to be a long term thing, and it's going to be our home we thought we would start as we mean to go on. But thats not to say we will ignore peoples advice and pay later by ignoring those that have got the Tshirt, read the book, seen the film....

Thanks all

Shell

Don't forget the age limit .70+ need a medical for a large van, also if long timing your licence will have to be renewed at a UK address every three years, also insurance etc. We manage very well in a 21ft van for three months plus. Storage is a consideration if it's to be your home, also as age creeps up on you, health my come into it. (I take it you are both still "youngsters") so if you can do it sooner rather than later, DO SO.

Good luck with your dreams

Hi Green Bees

Just a few disjointed thoughts:-

Your wise to canvass opinions on these things but don't expect complete honesty when you ask someone how they cope with their 70ft + RV. Over 90% will probably say easy peasy - 85% know that aint so. Why not take an HGV training course while you're waiting and find out?

The way things are going (climate change et al) anything over 2 tonnes is likely to be banned from the roads in 5 years time. Nice to have dreams but make sure you have a plan B.

Things have moved on and improved since your early van days. Comfort and privacy can come in small packages.

But what ever you do have fun - it's a great life out there.

V

When I decide on an object I start at the biggest and work down to what suites, ie, its parking space at home and my licence. 23ft fits the drive space and 3500kgs is my weight limit.

The larger sizes have restrictions such as parking in towns, fuel stops, access to some sites, narrow roads, etc.

Although I'm outside the larger range as said I would have found it rather restrictive as we prefer small lanes and odd places and it would not have given us the freedom we preferred.

This is based on UK use only, I only have limited knowledge of the continent regarding large vehicles, then, it was all VW van work. We have hired them in the US where the biggest work well.

I never relate any part of life to a "dream", our M/H is a practical hard working object that has to provide its keep,

Bill

All vans are a series of compromises.  Size is but one area.  I think you may need to give additional weight to where you think you want to go, and how you think you want to get there. 

A large van is fine if you propose visiting only major centres of interest, and travelling mainly on main roads/motorways.  You will have to find somewhere to park it, and the larger the van, the more difficult this becomes.  If you propose using camp sites, bear in mind that many have grass pitches, and it is only during the high summer that these are likely to be hard enough to take a large van without the risk of getting stuck.  That assumes you can actually get onto a pitch. 

If you prefer the French aire stopovers you should be fine, but in many you will find your neighbours close and outside space at a premium. 

You will encounter difficulties with weight, height and width restrictions and, even where there is no restriction, many out of the way places do not readily accommodate large vehicles. 

I'd say that unless you just want to cruise to beaches and sit and watch the sea, you'll need alternative transport.  Bikes?  OK for exploring a locality, not so good for visiting museums or galleries (where to lock it up?), restaurants (ditto, plus what to wear?), shopping (how much do you want to try to carry?).  Scooters/mopeds?  Similar problems, plus the helmet when you arrive, and the need to get them on, and off, a rack - they are quite heavy!  Small car then?  Generally better, but only really if you buy Leviathan with a rear garage that will take the car.  Otherwise, A frame?  Don't want to start the usual war of words, but there are issues of legality outside UK, and difficulty of reversing.  Flat bed trailer, then?  Apart from Leviathan, probably the best compromise for legality and relative ease in manoeuvring, but you now have a back to front caravan.  Not so easy to reverse, has to be stored while out in the car, often attracting additional charges, and surely a bit of an encumbrance while travelling?  So, with a large van you will restrict yourselves, to a greater or lesser degree, on any/all the above counts. 

My question would be, if the interior space is a necessity, and that makes the external bulk restrictively large, why not go for a big caravan, and a decent towcar, and save yourselves a lot of money?  Getting around will be no more difficult, comfort on arrival no less good, and general transport far less fraught with difficulties.

Somewhere around 6 metres seems to be where the interior space begins to become workable for a couple, while still leaving the exterior small enough for minor roads, more out of the way places, and most supermarket car parks still to be reasonably accessible.  Many more town centres become within reasonable reach, so more can be taken in as you go along, rather than having to change transport to get around. 

It surely needs little consideration to see that a Smart car can get to far more places, with far greater ease, than a coach!  So, smaller offers advantages in terms of accessing larger numbers of places with less complication.  Larger gives you more cat swinging space.  Somewhere, there is a happy medium that will suit you, and no-one else can find it for you.

I personally doubt you will continue with the same van for 10 years: so many folk find their horizons and expectations begin to change once they start travelling around, and then that the van they have is not the one they really need.  As stated above, you need tax, insurance, servicing, MoT tests, etc etc, most of which will require you to retain a UK address and return to the UK at least annually. 

In the meantime, I'd say go here http://tinyurl.com/pqx7re to see how one couple fare on long term travelling, and here http://tinyurl.com/lyudcw to get a wider view of the pros and cons of what to buy.  The Magbaz site is an absolute store of information, and the book a source of sound general advice that just may save you a lot of money.  Good luck.

How about a smallish van conversion, which is used as the tow vehicle for a caravan?

Most Continental sites will let you leave your caravan in "garage mort" (out of season) for around €5 per night, leaving you to go off for a few days at a time in the small van, which is capable of getting up roads you wouldn't want to tackle in an RV.

I've been thinking about this compromise for some time but haven't as yet had the courage to try it - a VERY expensive mistake if it doesn't work.

Does anybody have any experience of it, or thoughts about its viability?

Can I suggest that you get hold of a copy of the following book :

"How Katie Pulled Boris" by Keith Mas**ter - Travels with an American motorhome (RV) in Europe. ISBN 978-1-84685-769-0 Price UK £8.99

Perhaps try Amazon and type in Motorhome Books.

If youv'e ever wondered what it may be like to do the European tour in an RV, motorhome or Caravan, How Katie pulled Boris may encourage or, cure you. safe in your armchair it willentertain you.

This is a real life story and I am sure it will answer many of your questions

I think you could do it in something of about 22 or 23`if you`re organised. Personally instead of a fixed bed which means you lose a lot of your living/lounging space I`d go for a `proper` shower cubicle and fixed sink. I hate our stupid drop down sink! Also space heating when it`s cold ..... it has to be a trumatic gas fire unless you connect to electric every night.

Hello Everyone who has replied to our thread about what size motor home we should be aiming at for our Grand Tour.

First of all a BIG THANK YOU! For the time and trouble, your thoughts and opinions, all of which have been most useful.

From the replies, we can see that the majority of you think that big is not necessarily the way to go as it seems we will find more than one disadvantage. We have to say that we are surprised at the lack of response from the larger motorhomes/RVs owners in defence of the larger vehicles and a distinct lack of much to say. Is this because there really are no larger vehicles in Europe and or do they not want to be negative about the pit falls of owning a biggy?

Anyway We've ordered the book suggested earlier and will continue to research our plans. But once again Thank you.

Hi, we have a 7.39m motorhome with a fixed bed - we love it and pack us and 3 large dogs into it. We would love to have a large american style RV, all the internal space etc, but only in our dreams. The practicalities for us are against such a large vehicle - the parking at home, the restriction on places we like to go to as not suitable for such a large vehicle hence only a dream. I can appreciate the draw of one ie the internal space if you are away for so long, but personally you'll find that any faults however big your motorhome is will always be in your face and get you down. You can live comfortably in a smaller one and if you are anywhere for a longish time you can increases your space with an awning.

Abou 3 years ago I decided to return to Motorhomeing after a gap of 35 years back then I had a Commer Highwayman.

After much thought I decided I wanted something that was easy to drive park etc.and went for a panel van conversion.After getting it back to Spain from Germany we went away on a short break 4 days and soon found out that it was far to small to offer real comfort and convenience bed was a performance to make up with one of us up against the rear doors and a bathroom to small to be of any use without the door open?

So plan 'B' now decided that comfort was more important than ease of driving so settled for a Burstner Solano 7.25m with spacious end bathroom and 2 single beds this now suites us and we are very happy with it and would not want anything bigger.This little change of heart cost me 10,000 euros when I trade in for the Burstner a few months later.

I now find that driving the 7.2 m coachbuilt 2.3 Fiat is no more restrictive or difficult than the panel van was, we can access almost anywhere if a delivery van can make it we can.

While the big RV vehicles do have more space much of it is not well designed and the net gain is not that great considering the increase in size and weight and running cost.

Don't loose sight of the fact that at seventy you will run into additional driving licence complications.

If you choose with care I suggest you can find all your requirements in a vehicle under 7.5 meteres and under 3500kg but watch the payload?

Guest JudgeMental
Green Bees - 2009-08-23 8:03 AM

We have to say that we are surprised at the lack of response from the larger motorhomes/RVs owners in defence of the larger vehicles and a distinct lack of much to say. Is this because there really are no larger vehicles in Europe and or do they not want to be negative about the pit falls of owning a biggy?QUOTE]

I initially advised you if you are looking for advice re RV's this is not the best place as we only have a handful of RV owners. There are other full timing forums as well that would probably be of help. Have you looked on other forums? MHF, motorhomefun etc........

here is the kinda full timing topic you find on motorhomefun, you will see from this post and pole that 30% of members there have RV's:

http://tinyurl.com/kq9exe

Personally I would buy a couple of round the world tickets and get the hell out of here and forgetaboutit. I would be bored senseless within a year or two restricted to Europe and there abouts..........

Guest JudgeMental
Green Bees - 2009-08-23 1:21 PMThanks Judgemental, did as you advised, not wanting to keep all our eggs in one basket we're starting to join more than one motorhome site.

Thank you for you advice.

You will see if you read through the looooong thread I attached that most get fed up with full timing within 3 years.......By the way not trying to get rid of you, this is by far the most knowledgeable and friendliest off forum's going for general motorhome stuff :-D

Green Bees - 2009-08-23 8:03 AM We have to say that we are surprised at the lack of response from the larger motorhomes/RVs owners in defence of the larger vehicles and a distinct lack of much to say. Is this because there really are no larger vehicles in Europe and or do they not want to be negative about the pit falls of owning a biggy?

Anyway We've ordered the book suggested earlier and will continue to research our plans. But once again Thank you.

That's because very few Rver's post on here. :-D As judge has already said fun is the place to go.Olley

Guest Tracker

There are several well established dealers in your area - why not visit them all and have a look at what is available in various sizes and guises - and maybe drive one or two of differing sizes?

Why not talk to a salesman or three - you might even find one who actually knows something about the products they sell if you are very lucky!

At the very least you can try the seats for comfort, try the beds for size and softness (or lack of!), pretend try the loo and shower for elbow room, suss out the kitchen area for ease of meal preparation, suss out the available storage etc.

That way you will find that you like the lounge of one, the beds of another, the washroom of another and the kitchen of another!

The trick is then to find a van with all the things you like that is less than 30' long!

JudgeMental - 2009-08-23 1:34 PM
Green Bees - 2009-08-23 1:21 PMThanks Judgemental, did as you advised, not wanting to keep all our eggs in one basket we're starting to join more than one motorhome site.

Thank you for you advice.

You will see if you read through the looooong thread I attached that most get fed up with full timing within 3 years.......By the way not trying to get rid of you, this is by far the most knowledgeable and friendliest off forum's going for general motorhome stuff :-D

We know you're not trying to get rid of us. We asked for peoples advice, comments etc. I can see you are a passionate motorhomer with plenty to say. We did read your long thread and took on board your comments and thank you again for your input.

Tracker - 2009-08-23 6:58 PMThere are several well established dealers in your area - why not visit them all and have a look at what is available in various sizes and guises - and maybe drive one or two of differing sizes?Why not talk to a salesman or three - you might even find one who actually knows something about the products they sell if you are very lucky!At the very least you can try the seats for comfort, try the beds for size and softness (or lack of!), pretend try the loo and shower for elbow room, suss out the kitchen area for ease of meal preparation, suss out the available storage etc.That way you will find that you like the lounge of one, the beds of another, the washroom of another and the kitchen of another!The trick is then to find a van with all the things you like that is less than 30' long!

We have been doing the rounds of motorhome dealers not just in Dorset but other areas too. Been to a couple of motorhome shows which is why we fell in love with the  Winnie Bago Aspect 28.

For many years I owned a Long Wheel Base Tranist with a chopped roof that had a custom interior with everthing I needed in it. The only thing it lacked was height which at the time was not too much of an issue as it meant that I could get the vehicle under most height barriers on the South Coast Car Parks.

Having been "Vanning" for these years, I came to learn what was important and a priority and what I could do without.

Due to these experiences, we now have a definate idea of what we need. Thanks for your comments and advice though.

we have a small one an autosleeper duetto 6m ford transit

good points with this size

can use as our runaround too, no car needed.

easy parking

good on fuel

ok in country lanes

fits on the driveway no storage fees

drawbacks

storage space limited

only had 4 months thats are opinion so far.

Archived