scartches on furniture!

avongas

Guest Tracker

I don't know if you can still get it but I use 'Topps' scratch cover furniture polish - although my bottle is over 20 years old it still works well!

I have also used appropriately coloured wood stain rubbed in with a paper towel to blend a scratch in and sometimes it works and sometimes it don't!

You have to make sure that the polish these in all over the entire surface to ensure an even finish or else you might go all blotchy!

If you have the right colour shoe polish that too might be worth a try - although like so many chemical formulas these days modern polishes don't seem to contain the quality of stain that they used to?

Dont know your motorhome, but surely most of the fridges are finished with a fablon type surface. If the scratching is bad it might be worth trying to get a replacement panel or new stick-on. Olearys should be worth a try.

If you want to try to fill the scratches, the wax crayon type fillers,rubbed in, buffed off and then polished may give an acceptable result

Hi Spud, pollish it with REGENCY GOLD, est 1895, and still going strong. Available at most shows or mail order:- Central Promotions, Unit 5, Minafon Yard, Betws yn Rhos, Abergele, LL22 8AW, tel:- 01492 680440. Does what it says on the bottle. It is a restorer and cleaner................I use it in the house too. Luckily my van does not need it as it is like new inside...........

The panel is fitted by the Motorhome builder to match the rest of the furniture. There is a chance, maybe slim, the reverse side of the panel is also decorated. If so problem solved, turn the panel round. Now you are going to ask how to remove!!!! I think if you take the door off (unscrew top pin on door, it lifts off and panel slides out at the bottom after removing part of the frame. Still worth removing so you can take indoors to try any attempts to repair.

Hope this helps a little. Failing that try DIY shops and the like for foiled/veenered play panels to cut and fit. You may also be able to get a replacement panel form Motorhome builder/manufacturer but doubt it will come cheap.

Jon.

Like someone has already said it's stick on foil and you can buy it in B&Q Etc, just make sure it matches you wallboards. Or try the maker of our van for some.

Introduced about 25 years ago the material is called foil in the furniture industry. Whilst it looks like wood veneer it is in fact a photographed plastic film/foil which is bonded to a suitable ground material.

Whilst it is resilient to water etc the foil is very thin and any wear in the form of excessive rubbing or scratching is almost impossible to repair.

Any attempts to stain the material where it is scratched may result in failure because the material is naturally impervious. You may get a stain to stay on the surface but when it is dry it may easily rub off.

Suggest that you try to source a replacement panel if the damage is severe.

Archived