Northern Germany

Tomo

Hi All,

Come on all you fellow travellers let me know your tips and where to go in Northern Germany. We are going to go from Trier to Koblenz and then head North. Want to see the Baltic somewhere along the trip. Some castles and houses might be good. Are there plenty of Stellplatz and campsites. I'll leave it with you know.

Tomo

One life live it

Tomo - 2009-08-18 8:15 AM Hi All, Come on all you fellow travellers let me know your tips and where to go in Northern Germany. We are going to go from Trier to Koblenz and then head North. Want to see the Baltic somewhere along the trip. Some castles and houses might be good. Are there plenty of Stellplatz and campsites. I'll leave it with you know. Tomo One life live it

We will be on the same route as from Friday leaving UK Thursday and really looking forward to it , we will also be interested in other peoples reply..

We have just returned from Germany.

One week in the Luneburg Heath (Lunberger Hiede) staying near Hermannsburg. A quiet really beautiful area.

We stayed at a campsite in Oldendorf , a very quiet place and ideal for exploring the area. The area has an extensive network of walking and cycling paths. There is also a bus that runs round the area which has a trailer for bikes. So if you’ve cycled too far wait for the bus, the driver will come out and fix your bike onto the trailer. I thought it was great with all these bikes on the trailer but best of all it is a free service.

Second week in the Harz mountains. Walk up the Brocken mountain and take the steam train back down (other way if not into exercise).

It is not a rack and pinion railway so the line loops around some very tight hairpin bends with the 2-10-2 configuration steam drive making an incredible noise as it puffs, or should I say roars up the inclines.

The Harz area must be the best kept secret of all Germany, most British people know nothing of the region.

Wernigerode is a lovely old town and can be reached using the Harz steam railway.

Much of this area is in the old Eastern block of Germany and prices are still catching up with the west.

We used the Caravan club guide to Europe for the larger sites and also stayed at Stellplatze on the way. The one is Bad Bentheim is wonderfull, just in front of the castle and its free of charge overnight or Euro3 if you want water & elec, purchase a token from the museum.

Many stellplatze are in the car parks of country restaurants. Free overnighting if you eat in the restaurant.

I also noted “wohnmobile parks” which are not listed anywhere but people overnight in these. There are no facilities for water refill and emptying but there is usually no charge.

The ReiseMobile guide to Stellpaltze from Vicarious Books was invaluable.

German Wheat Beer Euro0.25 per 500ml bottle from Netto. Glad we have a 400OKg chassis to allow us to bring back a good stock.

Hi

You will need the reismobil Bord Atlas but there are dozens of stellplatz on the Baltic coast. Most of the small yachting/fishing harbours have one attached and usually the facilities are as good, if not better, than club sites in the UK. You normally just park up and wander across to the HafenMeister to pay. The campsites are more expensive, of course, but the facilities are excellent.

There is a small Stellplatz in the middle of Schleswig and we were delighted by it, It had four restaurants, it was by the harbour and surprise, each morning the Hafen Meister had arranged for a bag full of fresh rolls to be left hanging from the wipers! The further East you go, the quieter it gets and we didn't see one Brit outfit the whole time we were there. Enjoy

Peter

We did a 3 week trip last week of June 1st 2 weeks July, up to the Baltic back via Harz.

We spent most of the time on the Baltic on the islands of Rugen & Usedom really enjoyed it will go back. No Brits up there & most of the people speak Russian as a second language.

You need to like sandy beaches covered in nude Germans. The very eastern end of Usedom is in Poland.

Almost exclusively used Stellplatz, a couple we stayed at on Usedom were in peoples back gardens.

A few photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lennyhb/GermanyJune09#

Lenny. Northern Germany sounds great,

I note the V2 rocket amongst the pictures, it was that missile and the V1 Doddlebug that was of course the region in and around Peenemünde where they were all tested before being launched at the UK,

I've been on the receiving end of them many times and for some odd reason I've always fancied going to the test site area to complete a fascination for them. Although they were cruel they were a wonderful piece of engineering at that time.

Next year we have an event in Denmark so with luck I will make a detour.

Peter, is the Schleswig you mention Schleswig-Holstein?

Bill

libby - 2009-08-18 8:41 PM

Lenny. Northern Germany sounds great,

I note the V2 rocket amongst the pictures, it was that missile and the V1 Doddlebug that was of course the region in and around Peenemünde where they were all tested before being launched at the UK,

The V2 was outside the museum at Peenemünde, the museum is in & around the old power station.

Lenny,

Yes noted with thanks. And it sounds an interesting area. I rather fancy a month around there next May.

Did you drive up from Calais or ferry across from say Harwich, that's much more costly of course but being aged I seek the simplest way. My days of fighting the foreign roads are now long gone.

Bill

Went via Calais we needed to visit supplying dealer in Belgium for annual damp check.

Being just down the road from you (Lancing) Dover is much easier to get to & I prefer driving over the water it is only 100 mile further via Calais & a lot cheaper.

On Rugen there are Stellaplatz every few miles the photo that looks like we are in a field with the awning out was a Stellaplatz in the national park 8€ a night.

They are not many in the north of Usedom and further down the island they often small private ones a bit cramped. One of our favourites was the one next to the block of flats previous photo is same place it was just a back garden, 11€ night + 1.5€ for electric & had waste disposal point.

If you would like more info send me a PM

Tomo, you need to get hold of the BordAtlas from Vicarious Books - vol 1 is for Germany, and has loads of Stellplatze and cheap campsites. We've found it FAR more use than the Caravan Club book, which we also took on this trip (ie the one we're coming back from tomorrow night!)

Too right, Tony.  And the best thing... it comes with a disk of POIs for the satnav.  We simply program in a destination, and then open the Bordatlas Stellplatz POIs and follow the arrows to the nearest ones!

Archived