Eurolite headlight deflectors (fitting help)

Hopesy

Hi, We're off on our travels next week. Last year i bought and fitted the above product from Halfords. I followed the instructions but wasn't entirely happy with the result. I used just the circular section of the deflector. I have the new shaped Peugeot with the high large headlight. Does anyone have any advice on the correct way of fitting. Last year i parked against a wall and looked for the dipped beam pattern and tried to mask it. Before you all shout at me I know that this has been covered before but the search facility went kaput on me!

Thanks for your help.

No idea about the fitting of these but cannot imagine they will work properly as the Fiat headlight protectors have the position and shapes marked on them. Neither are round and the sides, o/s, n/s, are differant anyway. Would just stick them on in rough postion and forget it. If the police see you have them no one is going to check they are fitted in exactly the right place.

Hi, As Rupert says with the Fiat headlight protectors, they have the marks where you fit the reflectors. They are different shapes from the old style and both o/s and n/s are different again. I would imagine that Peugoet would be like the new fiat. Have you asked your local Peugoet dealer for advice?

We had a new Peugeot and now have a new Fiat the packaging for the deflectors has a diagram showing the area to stick the deflectors under the 2006 on models for each type Peugeot / Fiat / Citroen as long as they are on and can be seen by Messure le-Plod it works for me .

Hopesy

"Eurolites" are beam-deflectors, so their position on headlights' outer surfaces will differ from that of 'masks' (which I believe is what rupert123 is referring to).

The Eurolites product is marketed with detailed instructions as to exactly where (and which sections of) the deflectors are fitted to the headlights of a particular make/model of vehicle. Did the instructions you used last year include deflector positioning details for the latest-model Peugeot Boxer and did you follow those instructions to the letter? If your instructions were not up-to-date and did not cover the current Boxer (or current Ducato or Relay/Jumper) and/or you used experimental methods to position the deflectors on the headlights, then one might reasonably expect the result to be unsatisfactory.

I can't advise you on where to position your Eurolites, as my own 08/2005 instruction leaflet predates the latest Boxer, and I doubt if guesswork would be effective. Suggest you contact the UK supplier and (if your instructions don't include your vehicle) ask them for an updated leaflet or positioning advice. Contact details are on:

http://www.travel-spot.co.uk/products/eurolites.htm

If it's too late to get feedback from travel-spot, then rupert123's suggestion remains an option. As kelly58 apparently has Eurolite instructions appropriate to your motorhome, he may be able to provide 'near enough' details as to where the deflectors should go.

(I have to say that I'm unconvinced Eurolites will be equally effective for all headlights. Even if your fitting-instructions cover your Boxer and you position the deflectors exactly where the instructions say, it wouldn't surprise me if the effect were less than ideal. I don't think one can logically expect a little piece of translucent plastic stuck on the outside of a headlight to turn a left-dipping beam pattern magically into a 'proper' right-dipping one. But it should be better than nothing and it will indicate to the Continental police that you've made the effort.)

Derek has a point here but the deflectors for new shape Fiat/Peugeot do not give an exact position for the fixing, it is all done 'by eye' so I to would have reservations about how effective they would be. Deflector or mask does not matter which both are only a compromise but you have made the effort.

I bought the same kit from Halfords to fit to our 2008 X250. It does seem vague but I followed the diagram and stuck them in the approximate picture. On our recent continental trip we were never out after dark. Anyway someone (police) would have to prove they were not correct. If you make the effort it should be fine.

Eurolites show different positions for the Peugeot & the Fiat I've spoken to Travel Spot about it as I sell them by the bucket load.

The position is not critical as it only needs to stop the beam defecting to the left.

They arrive at the correct position by use of a headlamp beam alignment machine the reason the Peugeot & the Fiat are different is they were done at different times and both positions work.

The Fiat position is the easiest to fit as it is on the centre line of the bulb with the top of the disc half way over the bulb.

rupert123,

the Fiat headlight protectors are marked up with the exact fixing position for the deflectors. I used mine recently for a 3 week jolly over the water. They clip on and off very easily (x250). They are now collecting dust in the garage until the next time.

rolandrat - 2009-08-19 5:14 PM

rupert123,

the Fiat headlight protectors are marked up with the exact fixing position for the deflectors. I used mine recently for a 3 week jolly over the water. They clip on and off very easily (x250). They are now collecting dust in the garage until the next time.

I did not say they were not, in fact I have a pair, by the way these are masks not deflectors. I was talking about the stick on deflectors.

If it helps you wanna try and make it look like the pictures below which were taken using the official Fiat headlight masks.

I know the plastic masks are a tad expensive but they provide excellent coverage and you can still see perfectly to drive by which you may not get if you just stick them on anywhere to fool the police.

W2G

Left.jpg.7e98451950b89721b9608db545ef7f96.jpg

Right.jpg.38c1411e5ccb84034e81f6ea8c4ae632.jpg

lennyhb - 2009-08-20 2:38 PM

Sorry I have to say this:-

It looks horrible, you've just spent 50k on a Motorhome & rather than spend 4 quid to the job properly you use a pennies worth of sticky tape.

I'd just like to add my twopenneth worth here if I might.

Fine if your opinion is that it looks horrible. then horrible you believe it to be. That is your own opinion and I would never suggest different. But to go on and say that 'rather than spend 4 quid to the job properly you use a pennies worth of sticky tape' is very disrespectful in the least.

Perhaps if you actually knew the product ie the protectors, then you would know that the black bits on the photo was not a 'pennies worth of sticky tape' as you implied, but the actual correctly shaped reflectors that come with the protectors - part of the kit.

Please get your facts correct before putting someone down in what I find such a disrespectful way, not because you called it horrible (your entitled to your opinion), but implying that for the sake of '4 quid', they have ruined the look of their 50k motorhome. It seems you are judging other people in a not very nice way and why should it spoil a motorhome only if its cost 50k? If it spoils it , then it spoils it so why bring 50k into it unless by your implication you feel that any motorhome under 50k is already spoilt?

Atleast they and others who have these protectors on their vehicles (which includes me) are showing consideration to other motorists by knowing that they have the deflectors in the correct position and aren't blinding all on-coming night traffic in Europe.

Rant over and my intention isn't to offend anyone just respond to what I felt was an over the top put down, not just a personal opinion which I would accept as being just that.

lennyhb - 2009-08-20 2:38 PM

Sorry I have to say this:-

It looks horrible, you've just spent 50k on a Motorhome & rather than spend 4 quid to the job properly you use a pennies worth of sticky tape.

I have to say if you are talking about way2go post then you seem to be completely ignorant about what they are. These are the proper way to do it, better than the hit of miss things you seem to sell

lennyhb - 2009-08-20 2:38 PM Sorry I have to say this:- It looks horrible, you've just spent 50k on a Motorhome & rather than spend 4 quid to the job properly you use a pennies worth of sticky tape.

Lenny, the problem with shooting from the hip, is that the aim is often poor!  If you look at WTG's pictures, you will see at the base of each protector, the word FIAT.  This item is a Fiat branded accessory, and the masks are pre-positioned on the protectors by Fiat.  To that extent, whatever you may think of their appearance, they a) will have cost more than £4 (though I can't quite see the relevance of cost to "doing the job properly") and b) are, indeed, the proper way to eliminate dazzle from these headlamps.

At least they all seem to have been made to a consistent pattern, and not with variations depending on the day of the week on which they were produced!  :-)

Don't know what happened here but i thought i posted a thank you post last night, it's obviously gone to the black hole of lost posts. So thanks everyone for the good advice. My main concern was safety and do not want to dazzle road users on the "wrong" side of the road.

As a matter of interest i bought some headlight protectors a couple of years ago from "Formula4". These had the masks for continental driving. However the company sent the wrong ones, i contacted them and sent them back, the company in the mean time went bust and i lost my money£40 although i claimed back through the credit card. I think the company are trading again so how does that work??

Anyway thanks for the advice and now off to get some sticky tape for 10p :D

rolandrat - 2009-08-20 6:11 PM

rapidolas, you are a star, well said. The protectors do come with the beam masks, two sets I might add and are quite robust and strong, not pieces of cheap sticky tape as mentioned.

Thanks rolandrat, I was worried for a minute after posting it, that I had over reacted - obviously not!

Vernon B - 2009-08-20 7:56 PM

All very interesting - but how come Jonny Foreigner can come over here and flash away as he/she likes?

V

About 4 years ago I raised this point at a local police station. I was advised that the UK's 'headlights must not dazzle' regulations applied just as much to foreign vehicles visiting the UK as to UK-registered vehicles being driven in this country. However, I was told it was "not a hot policing issue" (I think that was the expression used), mainly because of the bureaucracy involved. It was suggested that, if UK traffic police were granted similar powers to Continental authorities to impose on-the-spot fines, there would be greater motivation to concentrate on such offences.

I also asked about this at a local VOSA roadside-check centre and was advised that they looked for evident vehicle lighting defects on foreign vehicles (eg. a mandatory light not working), but did not check dipped-beam pattern. "Perhaps we should, but we don't", said the inspector.

It's a common complaint that foreign drivers visiting the UK seem to have immunity to driving offences that UK drivers visiting the Continent get prosecuted for. It somehow reminds me of a relative of mine who told me that the Inland Revenue was going to fine her heavily for tax evasion. "Serves you right", I said. "I warned you repeatedly this might happen." "But lots of people fiddle their taxes and get away with it", she exclaimed in outrage. "Why are they picking on me?"

Derek Uzzell - 2009-08-21 8:46 AM

It's a common complaint that foreign drivers visiting the UK seem to have immunity to driving offences that UK drivers visiting the Continent get prosecuted for.

Derek I guess your findings raises the question of whether the police over there adopt a similar lax attitude. Can anyone hold their hand up and admit being prosecuted for this offence on the Continent?

[Mind you I might be tempting providence here being someone who disregards this particular regulation and rests his case on the practice of adjusting the beam height to its lowest setting - "ain't that why Fiat/Merc fitted the device Officer?"

Actually I'm not sticking two figures up the EU police I'm just concerned about damaging the plastic lens with some of the adhesives used on these deflectors]

V

Vernon B - 2009-08-22 6:32 PM

Actually I'm not sticking two figures up the EU police I'm just concerned about damaging the plastic lens with some of the adhesives used on these deflectors]

V

I believe the 'adhesive may damage plastic headlights' idea was originally suggested, years ago, by George Collings, then editor of MMM "Interchange", and has now passed into motorcaravanning folklore. As far as I'm aware, there's no evidence to support this theory and it's more logical that, when damage to plastic lights does occur, it's due to localised over-heating caused by an opaque mask. I've never heard of a plastic light being damaged when a translucent 'beam-bender' (Eurolites-type) deflector has been used.

I have read newspaper reports of UK motorists' vehicles being checked as they left French ferry ports to confirm they had lights that didn't dazzle and carried the now-obligatory reflectorised waistcoat and warning triangle (and fined if infringements were discovered), but I don't know whether such reports were true or fabricated.

Headlight beam-angle adjusters are intended to maintain the correct dipped-beam configuration when a vehicle is loaded and its rear end lowers as a consequence. Deliberately aiming the beam well downwards to prevent dazzle is all very well - and may indeed be sufficient to avoid a Continental policeman's wrath - but, in my experience, the practice seriously harms one's forwards distance-vision when driving at night. I'd rather stick something on the headlights to keep the police happy and be able to see where I'm going, than hope that using the beam-angle adjusters for a purpose they weren't designed for is considered 'legally OK', but not be able to see more than a few metres in front of my vehicle.

Possibly the easiest way to find the correct position for the bender is to contact your local commercial MOT station and, if you're lucky, they will invite you in and will check the lights and show you where to put the sticky stuff. I f you go with a couple of sheets of paper and a pencil you will be able to create a template for each light.

We did this last year when the headlight protectors were unavailable and it worked a treat.

;-)

Archived