using a netbook abroad

Silken Fred

Wonder if anyone has info on buying and using a net book abroad. We always use aires or wild camp so would have to charge the battery by 12volt while on the move. Any feedback on which make to buy or what extras we might need to do simple emailing and surfing probably in wi-fi areas in Europe, would be appreciated.

MSI WIND U100 is the one to get.

Have the xtra memory making it up to 2 gig.

Hard drive 160 gig

Rins all windows software.

Sensible sized keyboard

3 USB slots

WiFi built in

Just Google it for a bargain or try Novatec in Portsmouth.

I have one.

C.

We now use an Acer Aspire One, running Windows 7, 160G hard drive, 1Gig Ram, 3 USB ports, 10" Trubright screen, built in WiFi all other 'normal' ports, keyboard not much smaller than a standard laptop and a 3 PAYG dongle.

Came with Linux installed but I first loaded and ran it on MS XP from my desk tops copy, then I loaded MS Windows 7 to see how well it worked with it, most impressed very fast but best of all it was only £149 from E-buyer!

Not used it abroad yet as we got it after our last trip. Regarding 12v you can get a 12v charger from Maplins.

Bas

P.S Forgot it also has a built in 'card reader' and an SDHC expansion slot.

I have recently purchased an Acer net book and so far am pleased with it. We will recharge it using an inverter in the same way as we recharge phones and batteries for the cameras. This method has worked fine in the past with no compatibility problems with my previous Advent lap top. The Acer runs Linux Lite but seems to run the Camping Car info memory stick with all the aires on no problem. The Wifi is rock steady never dropping off line (unlike Vista on my other machine), the Acer has 1 gb ram and 16gb built in memory but easily up graded to 32gb with a flash card. This should be plenty for anything I plan but I shall back up photos on a separate memory stick. I have not used it aboard but will be trying it out in September.

If, as you appear to be saying, you are thinking of buying abroad, don't!  At least, don't, unless the computer has a UK/US English keypad. 

Other languages have accented keys that make working in English much more difficult, as a colleague discovered when he bought a cheap laptop in France.  He thought he'd be able to buy a UK keypad and get it installed, and still save money, but the manufacturers had seen that one coming, and he found he couldn't buy just the keypad.  They were available, but only as replacements for UK keypads.

I’ve had several laptops over the years at end of last year brought a Samsung NC10 for travelling & use in the van.

A brilliant piece of kit small, lightweight good screen, decent size keyboard best of any netbook. Works fine with Autoroute with a GPS receiver, the built in wifi is reliable.

Best bit is battery life of 6 hours plus, also 12 volt power supplies readily available I got one on ebay for less than 12 quid.

It has a 1.6 gig Intel Atom mobile processor 1 gig ram (option for 2 Gig) & 160 Gig hard drive. No other drives so you have to load programs over your network or buy a USB DVD drive.

It's a lot smaller & lighter, newest ones have a 10" screen older ones an 8".

Some have a solid sate hard drive (flash memory) latest ones tend to have a 160 gig hard drive.

Apart from the hard drive they have no other drives to keep them light & small so you have to load software either over a network or via an external USB drive.

To sum it up small neat & great for Motorhomes.

Silken Fred - 2009-08-18 9:29 AM

Wonder if anyone has info on buying and using a net book abroad. We always use aires or wild camp so would have to charge the battery by 12volt while on the move. Any feedback on which make to buy or what extras we might need to do simple emailing and surfing probably in wi-fi areas in Europe, would be appreciated.

edited out :-|

duetto owner - 2009-08-18 10:24 PM

Am I right in thinking a netbook will run of a 12v in a motorhome, and have a usb socket for a internet dongle access'

we miss the internet when the laptop battery runs out, if no electric hookup.

No but a 12v supply is only about 12 quid you can get one for your ordinary laptop as well. We always make sure we can run everything off 12v we carry one of the mini inverters for charging the camera battery's but if you shop around on ebay you can get 12v chargers for most camera battery's.

Most netbooks have 3 USB sockets worth getting one with XP operating system if you are not very techy or you will struggle to get a dongle to work.

Most small laptops have Wi Fi built in. I use an Eee PC with 7" screen which is light as a feather. My wife has an Acer Aspire one and is well pleased with it. We use them in our lounge every night on Wi Fi. Sad isn't it. *-) :D

You can plug a GPS sensor in it and with Autoroute you can use it as a Sat Nav.

• 2 weeks later...

Using the Advent netbook here ( MSI Wind clone). Running Widows XP, works fine. Have a Vodafone Pay as you go dongle and this connects to the internet fine at a resonable rate. We are in France at the moment and connected via the Vodafone dongle. I was warned on purchase that it takes lots of money from your credit, but they could not elaborate. Well, I can report that the dastardly French have just taken ten pounds to connect to their network!!! but on surfing a lot have not taken any more yet. It would seem, it is the same as purchasing a dongle in France, i.e. ten pounds for a day, with a downlod limit.

If anyone wishes to put this info into the correct thread, please do. I won't be connecting again unil I locate a free Wi Fi at Mc Donalds. Although it works well,Ten pounds to send an email and surf a bit is just too much. When will these French catch up with the civilised world?

The Advent netbook works great via a 240 volt inverter with no hookup.

regards from France

Bob

Archived