generators

cruiser

Hi all...

Thinking of getting a generator for off-site occasional use. Looking at a Clarke

1000w inverter generator. Good price! Questions....what exactly is an 'inverter' generator as opposed to a 'generator' and would 1000w be enough to power a kettle, microwave or small oven (one at a time of course)

All comments welcome and suggestions or alternatives. I'm based in Ireland.

Criteria are size, cost, low noise and sufficient power! Thanks in advance as always......

If you want low noise then forget Clarke or any of the cheaper brands like sold by Screwfix, Argos and the like for under a ton. These are occasional power units for portable electric tools where you are already making a din.

For low(ish) noise then Honda win in this league. Followed by offerings from Planet and similar clones.

Normal generators rotate at 3000 RPM fixed speed because its the motor speed that generates the correct 50 cycles per second electrical frequency we use in the UK.

Inverter generators for low amounts of power run slower as the output from the alternator is fed into some electronics that produce the 50 cycles per second synthetically. If you demand more power then they increase the revs to provide the power, frequently going well above 3000 RPM at maximum electrical output power.

Camping kettle 800 watts

Domestic kettle 2400 watts

Use gas for cooking OK.

Does that help?

C.

A 'normal' generator will produce mains output direct from the windings of the alternator. An inverter generator will output a nominal voltage somewhere between 12 and 24 volts and then use an inverter to give mains voltage.

Which is best? The makers say that the inverter method gives a smoother AC output, free from spikes and surges.

1000 watts equates to about 4 amps and so yes, such a generator will run anything, provided that the total load is within those figures. Beware of the start-up surge and the fact that microwaves require far more power input, than they give as an output. To be safe I would not use a microwave of more than 500 watts with a 1000-watt generator.

cruiser - 2009-08-18 5:10 PM

All comments welcome and suggestions or alternatives.

You don't have your van listed so I don't know what on board cooking facilities you have .

For kettle, gas.

For oven, gas (if you have it)

For nuke, sorry no alternative apart from 12/24v which are power hungry.

You say occasional off site, so maybe forget the nuke and then you won't need to carry a genny. :-D

Thanks all for the info etc. I'll do some deep thinking for a while, I have a 2004 Rimor Europeo with a gas hob and a new 110 amp hour leisure battery .....and an inverter for the tv etc so off-site short-term is not a problem.

However, menu-wise it would be nice to be able to use the Lidl Bifnett portable mini-oven and/or the microwave for a non pan-fried meal when the need arises. I don't want to invest a lot as it would be little used...but it would be nice to know we were completely belt and braces if need be! :-S

Have a look at Kipor inverter generators as well, they are copies of the expensive Honda ones and are very good and just as quiet. I've got the 3000 model which pokes out 2.6Kw continuous.

Guest JudgeMental

The Kipors are cheap, well regarded and seem to do the job.......

But a genny to boil a kettle or create a roast dinner is a bit daft and overkill don't you think? :-D

Our Honda generator broke down (it was 10 years old and it had never missed a beat) and my son had a look and said it was beyond economic repair, so we looked for a new one. We found one on Ebay and so we made a bid for it and won it for £25.00, ok it's a 2 stroke and when I picked it up the chap said that it was two years old and had never had any fuel in it, but kept in his garage. Got it home fuelled her up and away she went lovely, it was louder than the Honda, but not much more, so it does pay to shop around.

JudgeMental - 2009-08-20 11:18 AM

The Kipors are cheap, well regarded and seem to do the job.......

But a genny to boil a kettle or create a roast dinner is a bit daft and overkill don't you think? :-D

How about the Microwave and the wifes hairdryer. We certainly don't cook roast dinners in the M/H. Does anybody? my wife has enough of that at home so doesn't need to do it whilst on holiday. :D

Archived