Battery drain

bedsit driver

We have a 2004 Swift Sundance 590RS on the usual Fiat chassis with the 2 ltr deisel engine. There is a drain on the battery which has been as high at times as 0.9 amp, at other times 0.5 amp or lower and sometimes nothing at all. This obviously flattens the battery when left for long, whether or not the alarm is set. We have taken to disconecting it now when laid up.

The AA were called to it 5 times in the past 18 months and diagnosed the same thing each time. The latest AA man said he had been called to another Swift of about the same age locally 2 days before with exactly the same problem. We rarely use ours but the other Sundance is used on a daily basis, he said. Now alarm bells are ringing for us and we wonder how many other Swift owners have this problem?

The radio is a common cause we are told but only with removable models and ours is fixed, so the AA say it is not that. The last service checked but could not find the cause. Nothing is left on in the van, so does anyone know of a generic fault with these vehicles or are we just unlucky?

All comments or advice will be welcome.

There could be an alternator problem if there is a problem with the diode pack has there will be a drain however it will continue to charge.

If you disconnect the lead from the alternator and check again with an ammeter on the + sideof the battery you will see if its a faulty unit.

I doubt its anyrthing to do with the coach building side its a vehicle problem.

I have a similar problem in my Tribute (also Fiat based), which I deal with by having a CTEK SX7000 charger with me. I'm almost always on a hook-up so, when the van's control panel tells me the cab battery's low, I just plug the charger in overnight.

It's not a cheap answer and it hasn't solved the problem but it deals with the symptoms admirably.

I don''t think it's the alternator, since the control panel always shows a full charge when I've driven anywhere.

Roger

Like Roger I have a 650 Tribute and find the Vehicle battery loses some of its charge (Radio and alarm ) I bought a Ctek charger to trickle charge the battery but it sets off the alarm .I now use a small solar panel that sits on top of the van and is connected to the vehicle battery and this keeps the battery charged the panel is not fixed. I now use the trickle charger for the habitation battery during the winter months. Roger have you seen the forum for tributes?. http://www.tribby.co.uk/ The habitiation battery will discharge over a given period if the van is not used but should not drain unless something as been left on.

RogerGW - 2009-08-21 7:06 AM

I have a similar problem in my Tribute (also Fiat based), which I deal with by having a CTEK SX7000 charger with me. I'm almost always on a hook-up so, when the van's control panel tells me the cab battery's low, I just plug the charger in overnight.

It's not a cheap answer and it hasn't solved the problem but it deals with the symptoms admirably.

I don''t think it's the alternator, since the control panel always shows a full charge when I've driven anywhere.

Roger

Yes but the OP is for a 2004 Ducatto not the X250 with the known battry drain

Alf

Philjp - 2009-08-21 8:25 AM

Like Roger I have a 650 Tribute and find the Vehicle battery loses some of its charge (Radio and alarm ) I bought a Ctek charger to trickle charge the battery but it sets off the alarm .I now use a small solar panel that sits on top of the van and is connected to the vehicle battery and this keeps the battery charged the panel is not fixed. I now use the trickle charger for the habitation battery during the winter months. Roger have you seen the forum for tributes?. http://www.tribby.co.uk/ The habitiation battery will discharge over a given period if the van is not used but should not drain unless something as been left on.

Again the OP is for a 2004 Ducatto not the X250

Alf

bedsit driver - 2009-08-18 10:33 PM

We have a 2004 Swift Sundance 590RS on the usual Fiat chassis with the 2 ltr deisel engine. There is a drain on the battery which has been as high at times as 0.9 amp, at other times 0.5 amp or lower and sometimes nothing at all. This obviously flattens the battery when left for long, whether or not the alarm is set. We have taken to disconecting it now when laid up.

The AA were called to it 5 times in the past 18 months and diagnosed the same thing each time. The latest AA man said he had been called to another Swift of about the same age locally 2 days before with exactly the same problem. We rarely use ours but the other Sundance is used on a daily basis, he said. Now alarm bells are ringing for us and we wonder how many other Swift owners have this problem?

The radio is a common cause we are told but only with removable models and ours is fixed, so the AA say it is not that. The last service checked but could not find the cause. Nothing is left on in the van, so does anyone know of a generic fault with these vehicles or are we just unlucky?

All comments or advice will be welcome.

Do you have a car alarm the drain from this is enough to flatten a battery when not in use

do you park it at home if so could you not plug your hookup into an external 240v . If the control panel does not charge the vehicle battery you could use a battery charger in the van

Alf

Alf

Cheers Roger .... I was speaking to a motor dealer at one of the shows and it appears there is Battery discharge with most motor homes. The new radios need a a small current to keep the memory alive and then you have the alarm system, I am fortunate in that i have a large garage at home with electric so the van can be plugged in on hook up. the van has been stood idle for the last 4 weeks with out the solar panel connected the Van battery is discharged to about 2 thirds of its capacity same on Hab battery . I worked for a large electrical manufacturer and we kept batteries on a trickle charge if possible hence my solar panel . Good or Bad habits never die away

RogerGW - 2009-08-21 1:26 PM

Yes but the OP is for a 2004 Ducatto not the X250 with the known battry drain

And you know for a fact that the causes on X250s and the solutions their owners have found are irrelevant to a 2004 Ducato.

Roger

Yes.

There is not the same level of electronic engine management the standard battery drain on the older Ducatto's and Boxer's is a fraction of that on the X250's

There were few complaints about battery drain on the older model any that did were mainly down alarms, reverse cameras and such

Alf

Philjp - 2009-08-21 1:36 PM

Cheers Roger .... I was speaking to a motor dealer at one of the shows and it appears there is Battery discharge with most motor homes. The new radios need a a small current to keep the memory alive and then you have the alarm system...

To which one can add a permanently plugged-in iPod in my van. 8-)

Roger

Yes.

There is not the same level of electronic engine management...

Now see how much more helpful and informative that is than chuntering away like some old villager who's gone to the local pub and found an outsider sitting in his favourite chair. 8=)

Even then, you only address the causes. My posting was about a cure, which might be as applicable to the OP's vehicle. It was certainly relevant.

Roger

what about fitting a 'Battery master'. I have one fitted and keeps the engine battery topped up from the leisure battery if it falls below a pre determined level. It will not however allow the engine battery to transfer power the other way back to the leisure battery. Great bit of kit and easy to install.

Have a look at vanbitz website for details.

Or have I misunderstood the original post.

Regards, Dave

RogerGW - 2009-08-21 4:38 PM

Yes.

There is not the same level of electronic engine management...

Now see how much more helpful and informative that is than chuntering away like some old villager who's gone to the local pub and found an outsider sitting in his favourite chair. 8=)

Even then, you only address the causes. My posting was about a cure, which might be as applicable to the OP's vehicle. It was certainly relevant.

Roger

We shoot them for that here Roger

Alf

Had a similar problem recently after fittind new radio, one of those fancy ones from Lidl with USB, MP3 etc etc, thought it would be easier to carry SD cards and memory sticks than CDs, However first time out parked up for 4 days with no hookup and when I came to leave (in pouring rain of course) battery was dead.

Found that total drain with alarm and battery was 280 milliamps, previously was 70. As a temp measure I bought one of Maplins 4.8W solar panels which stood against windscreen and plugged into cigarette lighter, this just about held its own with current drain but have now put original radio back in, as never had the problem before.

Thought the battery may have been getting a bit weak but two seperate tests both said it was OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts. I especially appreciate the banter about the pub.

We have had the battery changed now under warranty as it was diagnosed as faulty, so expect a trouble free few months, at least.

We are using the Sundance more frequently even if it means driving it instead of the car around town (far more fun then a Citroen, anyway!) to give the new battery a chance.

We tried a Maplins small solar panel hooked up to the old battery but as it was dying I now understand why it seemed to have no effect, even if the battery was disconnected.

The vehicle (Fiat Ducatto) is on its 3rd battery in 5 years, which seems odd. The first died after about 3 years and now after 20 months the second has gone to the great acid factory in the sky. I am inclined to think that the salseman (above) was right, all motorhomes having a small drain and maybe, in our case at least, the batteries can't cope. I do not know if the drain is still there as I have no equipment to check it, but I assume it must be.

Hooking up to the mains did nothing to the main battery's charge. We do not keep the alarm on, either, as the van is boxed in on our drive and it does not work in the living area anyway. And don't worry, I know it will invalidate the insurance if it was stolen but the worst we can expect that way is squatters, not car thieves.

The easiest solution is to fit a solar panel, not cheap I know but you will never have a flat battery again. All motorhomes have a battery drain so going to your garage to spend money could be better spent towards a solar panel.

You said that you disconnect your alarm !!! Does this invalidate your insurance ? . In the long run what price is peace of mind, safety and knowing you will start first time.

A battery master is also usefull to automatically ensure that the engine battery is fully topped up.

A PM or phone call to Dave Newell should give you a competitive price.

Mike

Archived