a-frame with a Suzuki Jimny

dleigh

I would like to tow my 4 wheel Suzuki Jimny on an a-frame, but even though it can be put into 2 wheel drive Suzuki say it should not be done. The rear wheels at least must be off the ground. I understand the reason for this but Chris Cox (an a-frame fitter in Solihull) says he has fitted a-frames to them. Does anyone have any info about any possible changes I could have done to the JImny in order to tow it this way? I don't really want to use a trailer because of what I think might be hassle in loading and unloading at camp sites.

Many thanks

Ask Chris Cox for a written guarantee that if any damage is caused to the transmission of your Suzy by towing it on an A frame then he will pay for any repairs that are required. That should focus his attention on what he does and any potential issues that may arise.

Other than that the only thing I can think of that you could do is to remove the rear prop shaft..................not a truly workable fix.

D.

dleigh

I notice that a similar question to yours was asked a few years back on a Suzuki forum, though with no firm answer. See:

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-jimny-sierra-samurai-forum/10192-jimny-towing.html

It might be worth you repeating your inquiry on that forum, just in case more information or suggestions are now available.

Realistically, it's unlikely that there's a simple work-around - you either follow Suzuki's advice about towing a Jimny or you ignore it and hope that that problems won't ensue. As some Jimny owners seem to be A-frame towing their vehicles (presumably without modifications and without harming their vehicles), then there seems to be a reasonable chance of you getting away with it.

colin - 2009-08-19 6:53 PM

My suzi can't be aframed but thats because it's permanent 4wd, I'm guessing Suzuki must think there might be damage to transferbox?Whatever.

Why do you think it might be hassle to drive off and on a trailer?

I've never used one but having watched others I get the feeling that driving off the trailer, unhitching the trailer and moving both car and trailer out of the way (after making sure you have a pitch able to take them all) takes quite a bit of effort. An a-frame means one piece of equipment less. I'm probably too used to the flexibility and ease of using a motorhome. But thanks for the answer.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-08-20 7:14 AM

dleigh

I notice that a similar question to yours was asked a few years back on a Suzuki forum, though with no firm answer. See:

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-jimny-sierra-samurai-forum/10192-jimny-towing.html

It might be worth you repeating your inquiry on that forum, just in case more information or suggestions are now available.

Realistically, it's unlikely that there's a simple work-around - you either follow Suzuki's advice about towing a Jimny or you ignore it and hope that that problems won't ensue. As some Jimny owners seem to be A-frame towing their vehicles (presumably without modifications and without harming their vehicles), then there seems to be a reasonable chance of you getting away with it.

Thanks for this. I might wait until the Jimny is a bit older and then give it a try.

davenewell@home - 2009-08-19 6:54 PM

Ask Chris Cox for a written guarantee that if any damage is caused to the transmission of your Suzy by towing it on an A frame then he will pay for any repairs that are required. That should focus his attention on what he does and any potential issues that may arise.

Other than that the only thing I can think of that you could do is to remove the rear prop shaft..................not a truly workable fix.

D.

I've checked with Chris Cox but he says he doesn't know if any damage could be done or not. Thanks for the reply.

Archived