Fiat service centre caution!

andy mccord

Just a word of caution, I had my X250 in to Fiat riversway in preston last week, & today I took it to stuart longtons for its hab check, when I got out of the van I noticed that the bodywork above were the exhaust exits was black with diesel fumes, on closer inspection the exhaust has been pushed up in to the bodywork!!. I suspect, but cannot yet prove, that when fiat have put the van on to the ramps to do the service it has not cleared the ramp and this has caused the damage, I will find out later if any long term damage has been done & if neccesary contact fiat. Its really annoying because I always walk round the van to check for bodywork damage, but I failed to look at the exhaust .

Andy

This used to happen regularly when our vans went in to our local dealer for warranty work. It happens because they are using a two post ramp and the arms stretch out forwards and backwards. The lifting pads are not tall enough to clear the exhaust so it gets trapped by the arms and lower body of the van. Take the vehicle back to them and tell them what they have done and insist on them rectifying it. Typical of a car dealer trying to work on commercials without the proper equipment. Do not tolerate it.

Nick

I had a similar problem with my Ford, however the mechanic realised that the coachbuilt skirts would foul the lifting arms.

He apologised that I would have to leave the motorhome with them all day as their inspection pit already had a heavy commercial being worked on, but that the pit wolud be free later that day.

Needless to say I said well done to the mechanic by giving him a large drink.

So it seems that asking how they will lift the motorhome ( even if you get a funny look) is probably worth while.

Agree with nick that you should take it back straight away, other wise it too much time passes they will probably blame you. In any case phone them immediately to lodge your concerns.

I have a four post 8 tonne lift but I had to have extended ramps made to allow certain vehicles onto it. Recently while running an A class motorhome up onto the lift, which I had done several times before with no problem on this particular motorhome there was an unpleasant graunching sound from below, thank goodness I was creeping it very slowly. Once the extended ramps had been deployed the problem became obvious, an underslung gas tank had been added since it was last in my workshop. Thankfully no damage was done but it did serve to re-inforce my caution when putting motorhomes on my lift.

D.

P.S. I have previously removed the waste tank outlet on an Auto Trail motorhome with AlKo chassis, AutoTrail choose to put the waste tank outlet below the chassis rail instead of through one of the holes in it, and yes I did fix it to the customers satisfaction at my expense.

Im going to ring them this morn, I had assumed that the exhaust had fouled nick when they were driving it on to the ramps, but i see what you mean if they have lifted it, there is a blue line running front to back across the diameter of the exhaust, oddly the pipe has not deformed, probably because the bodywork cushioned it nicely.....great >:-(

For anyone else in the Preston area with a Fiat a better option than Preston Motor Park is Walton Summit Truck Centre. Thay are Fiat and Iveco commercial main dealers and charge about half of what Preston Motor park do for a service.

They are also quite willing to talk to their customers about the work they are doing on the van - even when it involves fitting a lower ratio reverse gear into the gearbox.

Unfortunately I only discovered all this very recently, and after the bodged mods had been done at Preston Motor Park.

AndyStothert - 2009-08-20 9:27 AM

For anyone else in the Preston area with a Fiat a better option than Preston Motor Park is Walton Summit Truck Centre. Thay are Fiat and Iveco commercial main dealers and charge about half of what Preston Motor park do for a service.

They are also quite willing to talk to their customers about the work they are doing on the van - even when it involves fitting a lower ratio reverse gear into the gearbox.

Unfortunately I only discovered all this very recently, and after the bodged mods had been done at Preston Motor Park.

WSM couldn't repair the clutch on my Fiat based A/T Scout,it wouldn't fit on their lift. Yet they had done the PDI before I collected it from the dealers,so how did they check the undercart i.e brake pipes suspension integrity,wiring etc.?

After a tour od the North West it ended up at NW Trucks in Huyton just off M62 who did the repair and the other recalls,not done by WSM!!

Will,

That's a bit strange really as Walton Summit Trucks had 'bin wagons on their lifts the other day when I called. And an Artic tractor unit.

Mind you your Fiat Scout would probably be better suited to refuse collection on the level streets of Lancashire than the touring the hilly bits.

Perhaps they'd got wind of your fearsome reputation?

I presume you have nothing further to report about the ongoing dissatisfaction with the 3 litre reverse gear ratio?

The Fiat commercial truck dealer who changed my engine mounts were 'useless', they lost the parts, I also had to clean the oil of the interior and polish the rust mark left by a careless grinder from the rear of the vans bodywork. Give Fiat proffesional their due they were not impressed.

Archived