Scooter rack on Autosleeper Windsor ???

mike 202

Your van is an "end kitchen" design, so already probably rather rear end heavy.  I would be inclined to fully load it,  take it to a weighbridge, and get the all up weight as well as both axle loads.

Don't forget the scooter racks are themselves heavy, and because the weight will be well behind the rear axle, it will exert more downforce on the rear axle that the combined weight of scooter plus rack, with a commensurate reduction of load at the front.

That will have its effect through some probable loss in stability (due to a relatively high load behind the rear axle) and a general loss of traction at the front (i.e. a tendency to spin the front wheels, especially on hill starts, even more especially in the wet).

Assuming you have the spare load capacity on the rear axle, I'm sure it can be done, but I'd doubt whether the effect will be comfortable under all driving conditions.  Also, you may need to budget for adding air assistance at the rear, to keep the back end of the van off the ground under certain conditions.

mike 202 - 2009-08-20 6:43 PM

I would like to fit a towbar and scooter rack on my Ford Transit Mk7 based 2008 Autosleeper Windsor.

Any advice on Yes or No to fitting such a rack. I will limit the scooter to 100cc and a maximum weight of 100 kg.

Thanns in anticipation.

Mike

My van is small 3300kg max weight and has a rear kitchen so tail heavy. My scooter, a 125cc Honda, weighs 98kg and this puts 200kg on the rear axle. Brian mentions air bags and I have thought about these, however my van only sinks by about 2mm at the rear wheel arch with scooter loaded but I still feel they would help with handling but have covered some 7000 miles with scooter on the back in UK and Europe with no problems. Not sure what other people carry around but I still have 100kg spare on the rear axle with half a tank of fresh water. The front axle load has reduced by 60 kg so a bit light on the front but drives fine. What I did was take van to weighbridge loaded and from these figures and by measuring the overhangs you can work out the loading. Watling towbars used to have a formula on their website which you can use, or they will do it for you. If you have the spare capacity do it you will never regret it, we have covered about 900 miles on ours this year and it is great, especially in Europe when the weather is warm.

mike 202 - 2009-08-20 6:43 PM

I would like to fit a towbar and scooter rack on my Ford Transit Mk7 based 2008 Autosleeper Windsor.

Any advice on Yes or No to fitting such a rack. I will limit the scooter to 100cc and a maximum weight of 100 kg.

Thanns in anticipation.

Mike

Hi Mike, have you thought about a trailer like this:

YouTube - 20090609120407

Price wise it's a bit eye watering but it looks good.

Also: http://www.ezetow.co.uk/ezetow%20scooter.htm

Mike

All Transit-based Auto-Sleepers motorhomes are RWD and, as such, a Windsor will have no traction problems if a scooter were carried on a rear-mounted rack. It should (I'm pretty sure) also have plenty of spare rear-axle load capacity to cope with the extra weight of a 100kg scooter + the rack, but (as has already been said) you would need to weigh your motorhome to confirm this. I agree that adding air-assistance to the rear suspension would be beneficial.

Guest JudgeMental
mike 202 - 2009-08-21 10:02 AM

A BIG thank you to you all for your helpfull advice which I will carefully follow.

Kind Regards Mike

It looks like in your case that this is feasible. Your lucky, as most vans don't have the spare capacity. Good luck!

But I would have the air on the back its a DIY job........

mike 202 - 2009-08-21 10:02 AM A BIG thank you to you all for your helpfull advice which I will carefully follow. Kind Regards Mike

My apologies for missing (and thanks to Derek for spotting) that the Autosleepers are on the RWD chassis.  That will be a great advantage.  However, I would still urge you to check (calculate) how much scooter plus rack will increase your existing rear axle load (weighbridge!) and reduce front axle load, before you go too far.

Mike

This earlier forum thread includes information on how to calculate the effect on axle-loadings of adding weight at the rear of a motorhome.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14508&posts=22

For real accuracy it will normally be necessary to do two calculations - one for the rack, the other for the scooter, and to combine the results. It should also be evident from the earlier thread that not using an accurate figure for the weight of the rack can make a significant difference to the axle-load calculations.

Personally, I'd just add the known weights of rack and scooter together, perform a single calculation using the combined weight and see what the effect is. If there's still plenty of rear axle load-capacity, then all well and good: if the calculated rear axle load exceeds (or closely approaches) the axle's permitted maximum, then fine-tuning the calculation by considering rack and scooter separately (which should produce a lower 'load effect' figure) is probably not a great idea.

If it turns out that adding the scooter to your Windsor does push its rear axle loading close to its limit, and you still decide to go ahead with your plan, then you may also need to consider whether your motorhome's present tyres will be adequate. I don't know what tyres your Windsor currently has, but there's been a tendency not to fit 'camping-car' tyres to Transit-based motorhomes. Although the tyres factory-fitted to Transit chassis will be plenty rugged enough for 'commercial' use, I think I'd prefer heavier-duty camping-car tyres for a motorhome when it is known that the vehicle will be continually running at near maximum rear axle-loading.

Thanks Derek,

I had not thought about the tyre, I expexted them to be camping tyres, but from memory I dont think that they are. the van is in storeage so over the W/E I will check the make size etc and ring the tyre manufacturer and also Autosleeper. I always keep on the side of caution, hence my post on the forum, knowing that I will get good advice. Will report back next week.

Regards Mike

Archived