Misted up window on Hymer

Guest Ana

Our front windscreen in our Hymer has never been very good for clearing up in rainy weather (we bought the vehicle 2nd hand 2 yrs ago) but whilst away over Xmas it was 100% worse! It was actually unsafe to drive! The heat was coming through ok onto the screen but it took 60 miles to clear up!! Has anyone any idea what the problem may be? It was so bad that I had to keep wiping it just so that my husband could drive home!!!

Back in the days when car & van heaters were POOR we used to cut a potato in half and wipe the cut face on the windscreen Dont know why but it worked You could also buy some less successful liquid

Guest William R Dunstone
Hi, I have had 2 B series Hymers and the window demisting worked very well on both, except on one occasion when the speed control of the blower failed. The other thing I do in very bad conditions is to close off all the other air outlets so that the windscreen gets it all until it clears - usually not long. One other possibility - check that the air hose from the blower is not kinked or disconnected. BillD

I do not know for Hymers, but I did have a Peugeot that when the heater box drain blocked up any rain or wash water that remained in the box got to a cartain level and then condensed and was sucked in and blown onto the cold screen causing misting. Like wise if the heater matrix has a slight leak that can have the same effect. Paul

Thank you all, we're new to the forum and I will relay the replies to my husband and he will check into them all and next trip, if not sorted out, we'll also carry a potato too just in case!! If anyone can think of any other fault it could be, we'd be grateful, thank you so much!

I have experienced this phenominon before. You need to inspect the area beneath the screen, the air path, heater box etc very carefully. It is likely you have a water leak or a drain is bunged up resulting in your de-misting air being damp at the outset.

Thanks Clive (and yet again, everyone else!) - Paul, my husband has flu at the moment but as soon as he recovers he is going to investigate what each of you said!! Ana xx

Guest Docted
Ana As on most motor vehicles the windscreen misting up problem can usually be attributed to the way the controls are used. In the Hymer it is essential that the air intake on the controls is bringing in air from the outside and not recycling air.It also helps if the screen is wiped clear before setting off, I find that a windscreen wiper blade is excellent for the purpose with newspaper to catch any water. Then switch the fan to full speed and the distribution to the screen. If this does not work you proably have a problem which the previous postings should help to ,pardon the pun, clear up. Good luck Docted

Guest Derek Uzzell
Dare I say it, but A-class windscreen misting problems (I assume your Hymer is an A-class?) are pretty much predictable when the converter has used a base-vehicle with a relatively low-powered cab-heater - in particular a Fiat. I've read that current Fiat's heaters are 'better' than before, but a Brownhills guy told me recently that they still aren't wonderful. It's significant in my view that Eura Mobil (and others) provide, for A-class cabs, a supplementary blown-air heater whose output can be directed at the windscreen and side-windows. As has been suggested, you need to ensure there is no problem with your present heating-system and that you are operating it to best efficiency. I think the old 'potato trick' goes right back to when people wore glass-lens goggles for motoring and flying. I certainly used to use it over 40 years ago when I began riding motorbikes. I don't know how it works either, but it does!

• 4 weeks later...
THANKS!! Think we'll arm ourselves with a potato and a windscreen wiper!! Yes, our Hymer is an A class! Still trying to find the problem but will get there in the end..! You have all been most helpful. Ana x

• 4 years later...
only quickly scanned the posts, so i apologise if this has already been mentioned. You haven't got the control set to reciculated air, have you? or perhaps the cable has come adrift after you used reciculated air, and stuck in that position. Pete

Archived