york sites

KeithR

i am going to york during the bank holiday to see my brother in the battle re-enactment.

i really need to be within walking distance of the race course, but most sites (obviously, at this late stage!) are full. any ideas of where there may be overnighting available? is it not feasible to overnight on the racecourse? which campsites are within walking distance?

(if only it was france!!)

thanks poppy, but tried that . may go on spec on the off chance that a vacancy develops (you never know, it might rain!!!) glad to know that it is a nice site though. is it far to pubs/food/town centre (for future use). (!)

Hi Keith

One of the park and ride carparks has spaces set aside for motorhomes, and also there is on street park again set aside for motorhomes, that is also fairly near to the racecourse. So if you find a pitch out of town York is'nt too bad to drive into.

Is that any help?

Hi Keith,

Yes the site is about a 20 min walk from York city (take the footpath opposite Terry's factory) along the river & cross by the first bridge you come to.

There is also a bus stop close to the camp entrance - useful if you have a pass.

The Yorvik museum is also not to be missed.

Enjoy!

P+R sites did not allow overnight parking, and I suspect that other car parks are the same when it comes to sleeping over, plus many have height barriers.

The carpark at Tesco nearby is run by NCP I think and so unlikely to be sympathetic

try for a camp site and travel in to the Knavesmire,

We stayed on a Rally in Bishopsthorpe with C&CC great place to stay for getting in and out of York, with cycle path running right by it. The rally field is linked to a CS but I am sure they take more than 5 vans from what we saw.

Could be the one mentioned above but don't think I recognise the name.

Mandy

thats good as i only do flat!!!! i'll look at st georges, sounds good as i believe the racecourse is walkable from the centre. i have got septembers issue but havent opened it yet as i am still going through 'go motorhome'. i better get it open had'nt i. the annoying thing is that i was stationedd in york for years but wasnt motorhome aware then. we never stop learning do we.

Archived