Anyone wintering in Spain?

Geoff Tuckley

Hi, Peter 21 and all those who bother to answer and take an interest.

With regards to you going for the first time, I must tell you that never having had a motorhome or caravan before (We always had boats) we bought a new van last year in May, bought a ferry ticket and went.

We had a brilliant 3 to 4 months in France, Spain and Portugal and wouldn't have missed it for the world. We made mistakes of course but that was down to inexperience. We travelled down through France on the motorways. This meant that we paid top prices for fuel and on a couple of occasions spent more than 30 Euros a day in Payage charges. We met a couple of Brits on a site in the South and they told us how good the National Roads are and to buy fuel at supermarkets. This changed our lives. You see much more on the normal roads and the standard of driving was generally good. Sometimes we would just slot onto a motorway to bypass a city and avoid the traffic. Derek500's route sounds excellent. Only problem was that some supermarkets would not take British Bank Cards for fuel, but we then paid cash. I realised that lots of Brits just head for an area they wish to stop in that night and find somewhere to stop. We being less experienced always phoned ahead to a site and booked on. I suppose this is down to inexperience.

I met a couple in Spain who said they had travelled down through France in the winter and slept in car parks and reall grotty places cos all the campsites were closed for the winter, so that is why I am a little edgy about the journey although people have said on here that they do it regularly and have no problems at all. It is true that you hear all kinds of horror stories but they have usually happened to "someone else".

Send me a personal message and I will pass on my phone no.

Geoff

Archived