Keeping Battery charged

Poppy Mole

Poppy Mole - 2009-08-22 1:27 PM

I am about to camp in one place (Dorset Steam Fair) for 10days in my van with no power or generator back up, if I run the van for a time every day or so will this keep the battery charged

Yes, this is possible, but it depends on the Alternator output and the Amp Hour of the battery it is charging. It is a very uneconomical way to charge batteries.

Poppy Mole

It's also potentially tough on neighbouring campers, so it would be sensible to try to park your vehicle in a position where running its engine is likely to cause minimum offence (ie. with its exhaust pointing into a hedge).

As has already been said, the effectiveness of charging your leisure battery via your motorhome's motor will depend on its alternator's output and your battery's capacity (and condition). Most importantly, it will depend on how much 'juice' you are regularly taking out of the battery.

The more 12V power you use, the longer you'll need to run your Clubman's motor to replenish the battery's charge. If you have just a couple of low-wattage lights on each evening, for an hour or two, and have a big battery, then you could well be able to last 10 days without needing to recharge. Conversely, if your motorhome is lit up like a Xmas tree and you are addicted to TV, then you may need to run the motor daily for an extended period.

Hi Poppy, Being on my own, I am paranoid about my battery running out - but I'm getting better!

I havn't stayed away for ten days but once stayed for six and did not need to recharge the battery. The run to the place I stayed charged it up and I was just very very careful what I switched on. I didn't use lights unnecessarily - made sure I had torches just in case - didn't watch tv and took some good books with me, had plenty of sweaters and warm pajamas in case it turned cold so that the fire was used minimally and had no problem at all. Is it possible that should you start to run out of power later in the holiday, you can go for a drive to somewhere worth a visit and charge your battery up that way - it would be more fun than sitting with the engine running. Joy

Thanks to you all,

I will only be using a light for going to bed & charging phone/camera batteries plus the radio.

I had new batteries early this year so they should be ok.

Going off-site is not really an option as we are restricted for movement during the day & in any case it is a "working" holiday.

If you are running the engine to try to top up the leisure batterey I would suggest you don't have the 12 volt running the fridge as well just leave it on gas. I was at Bristol for 10 days without hookup but I had a solar panel which kept the battery topped up.

Archived