Caravan Club Recovery Insurance

rupert123

We are off back to Europe for our last trip of the summer and just had a renewal for my recovery service. As usual I looked around for the best value deal and one place tried was the Caravan Club. The strange part is first you have to telephone two seperate tel. numbers if you also want to cover yourself for any vehicle in the UK in addition to your van. Anyway I decided to get a quote anyway and for my 6 mtr 17 month old van they wanted £240 for just the van cover with any one trip limited to 66 days. Now they use Green Flag so out of curiosity I telephoned Green Flag direct. For the same van cover but longer europe trips allowed plus personal cover in the UK to cover any other car I am using in UK only they have quoted £112.35. Have asked CC club for explanation but doubt I will get a sensible one.

Funny stuff, insurance!  However, it is often worth looking for vehicle insurance that includes, or to which you can add, recovery insurance.  The cost seems to compare very favourably with that of buying both services separately.  In our case, the recovery element is provided via RAC, and closely approximates to the annual RAC Europe cover.  There are no restrictions on the van weight, size, or cost.  Comfort Insurance, underwritten by AVIVA (Ex Norwich Union)

Be carefull with which recovery service you use, some will limit the length, width and weight or any one or combination ot the three. I believe that the AA have such a restriction. Best course of action is to get the maximum size for each of a vehicles parameters confirmed first by telephone and then get it in writing by post or E- mail.

Just take care

mike

mike 202 - 2009-08-24 5:47 PM

Be carefull with which recovery service you use, some will limit the length, width and weight or any one or combination ot the three. I believe that the AA have such a restriction. Best course of action is to get the maximum size for each of a vehicles parameters confirmed first by telephone and then get it in writing by post or E- mail.

Just take care

mike

Green Flag, who i am going with, do indeed have size limits but they are clearly stated in their terms and conditions, you are correct about the AA they have a height limit.

Just take care

mike

I have been checking my breakdown cover as it being a Fiat it is covered by AA breakdown for the lengh of the warranty , Now I am assuming that a breakdown could end up as a recovery so i wonder what would happen then if my vehicle does not meet there restrictions.

Terry

tp002c784tp002c784tp - 2009-08-24 7:50 PM

Just take care

mike

I have been checking my breakdown cover as it being a Fiat it is covered by AA breakdown for the lengh of the warranty , Now I am assuming that a breakdown could end up as a recovery so i wonder what would happen then if my vehicle does not meet there restrictions.

Terry

I to have the Fiat recovery but have never taken a chance on it, although have no reason to believe it would not work. When I checked with the AA last year they had a height restriction, cannot remember what it was but think it was 3 mtrs. It may be worth a check.

We use Caravan Club Mayday, which is operated by Green Flag and there are no height, weight or length restrictions at all, you can have an RV on it if you wish.

Perhaps that is why it is dearer than going direct to Green Flag maybe?

Bas

I use Caravan Guard for insurance and combined breakdown/recovery including European travel and the total cost for both is just over £300. My 'van is a Ford Duetto Autosleeper. I have just renewed after getting about 6 quotes and nobody was even close to Caravan Guard.

I had a quote from the Caravan Club at renewal time in March and they were £300 dearer than my present insurer including breakdown cover ... when i told them this they said that they would beat my renewal quote by £50 as long as its not one of the insurers they use...but what happens when i renew next year and they lump it back to their level...didnt bother and stayed put with present insurer

We found the same and always have with Motorhome insurance, CC are not very competetive on this and although we were offered the same undercut deal we did the same as you.

Still believe the Mayday Recovery deal is good though, cover for all eight of our vehicles for £90 for both me and my wife and anyone driving the named vehicle anywhere in the UK with 'Double journey' cover as well can't be bad.

By the way though anyone with a spare wheel less vehicle is only covered with the payment of an excess of £150 for each occasion it is used!!! This is standard for Green Flag by the way.

Bas

Archived