Pro-tec Cover

herdsmangs

Hi Everyone,

We are thinking of getting a Pro-tec Cover for our Auto-Trail Tracker as the van now 3 years old is showing its age mainly because we keep it on the drive. I visited the Pro-Tec stand at the recent Malvern Show and was impressed. However I have reservations which I would be grateful for any comments. Reservations- 1. the van is under our bedroom window, do the covers flap around at all 2. the thoughts of a large green/grey cover over the whole van is going to be make the van seem larger than it is. 3. This is expensive cover around £400, if we sell the van we lose the cover as it is tailor made (will this be a selling plus) 4. Has anyone heard of these expensive covers being stolen. Thanks in advance Herds.

Do you a real problems with birds etc where your motorhome is parked? If not then I can't see any potential benefit of having a cover. I would tend to agree that with all the hassle of putting on and off the cover (friends had one and soon gave up on it) you'll not use it as much.

If the motorhome is really suffering, perhaps regular washing and waxing etc on the motorhome would protect it against the elements more cheaply and also give you the ease of use. Remember the majority of motorhomes are uncovered and parked on drives etc.

We have had our Protec cover for around four years now and would not be without it. To answer your points:-

1. Ours is sometimes outside our bedroom window (was for two years whilst building work down the side next door was being carried out) and it does not flap so there is no issue. If it does you have not got it tightened down sufficiently!

2. Don't believe it looks any different to a large white van, in fact our green cover blends it into the garden when it is parked in its normal position.

3. If you sell the van you can either use it as part of a selling point or you can keep it and sell it seperately presuming your van is not one of a kind. It is only tailored to your type of van.

4. Never heard of one being stolen and it also makes the van LESS likely to be stolen. Though it may make people think you have an 'A' Class as you don't see the front shape.

We cover ours all the time and remove as we use it does not stop our use at all. It takes very little time to put on and take off (about 15 mins max) in fact it saves time in the long run as the van is always clean and ready for use, this is on a 6.8 metre coachbuilt. Now storage off the van is a different matter, if you roll it up to put it away in the bag to do it properly can take a while (especially in windy conditions) and we are used to handling large (24' long 12' deep) awnings from our caravanning days, so we usually just roughly fold it and if it is dry drop it in the garage (no time at all to do that!) or if it is damp it normally ends up in the bath to dry out whilst we are away.

No black streaks not much polishing just a quick wash with plain water from a hose to remove any loose road grit when you get back then you can either allow it to dry a bit or cover it straight away and it will dry out through the breathing material. Saves on labour and cleaning materials and although we took a while making up our minds we wouldn't be without one now.

Our neighbour had reservations about a cover but has one for his after seeing how we use ours and all the advantages.

At the end of the day it is your decision whether you want to spend a few minutes each time you go away or hours of cleaning, you pay your money and make your choice, the one thing I wouldn't do is skimp on the price of the cover as some of the cheaper ones are not as effective and can do damage.

Bas

I have had a Pro-tec cover for the last 4 years, my van is a 'Classic Restored Autosleeper' and I was worried about the cover chafing the Fibreglass bodywork and the Perspex windows, but it hasn't, but the Cover does wear though and I have made good use of the large piece of spare material that you get with every new cover (you did 4 years ago anyway) to Patch the holes worn in the cover. I use ordinary carpet spray adhesive, it works fine.

I only Tax my van for 6 months May til end of October, a good wash and wax then I put the cover on,so that it's ready for the spring. We live in a VERY windy area (West Wales) the cover has never let us down. :D

Picture this scenario. Your about to go off for the weekend and it's started tipping it down with rain, do you want to faff about taking off a soaking wet cover and finding somewher to store it?

We had one when we had our Autosleeper Trident T3 and I think they`re excellent. However, we used to keep the T3 on the drive and our present Talisman is too big so it`s kept in storage. It would be a pain to keep covering and uncovering the Talisman as well as the travelling back and forth to the compound so it`s not covered. If it were possible to keep the Talisman on the drive like we did the Trident I would get a Pro-tec cover for it because they keep the van clean and it wouldn`t take as much time to put it on and take it off as it does travelling to the storage, especially if there are 2 of you to do it. :-|

peter - 2009-08-25 10:52 PM

Picture this scenario. Your about to go off for the weekend and it's started tipping it down with rain, do you want to faff about taking off a soaking wet cover and finding somewher to store it?

Yep, works every time for us the van is in perfect condition for use. Perhaps as we have adownstairs bathroom it is easier for us to just go through the front door and drop it in the bath.

Bas

Basil - 2009-08-27 11:02 AM

roger20 - 2009-08-27 12:23 AM

............- IMHO much easier than the hassle of a cover.

What hassle?

Particularly compared to using polishes and wash agents.

Bas

Whether your motorhome is covered or not it still has to be cleaned periodically, and especially prior to putting the cover back on or otherwise any abrashive particles in the dirt will have time to work away with the slightest of movement of the cover, and before you say anything about the cover not moving when in place, the movement may only be putting the cover on and taking it off, but that can do damage, so using washing and waxing products is of no extra inpact compared to the hassle of one person having to put on and take off the cover - if it is a 2 man procedure, then you're limited if you want to use it singlely or one of you has a bad back etc and can't help out. Storage of the cover is another point - have you somewhere where you can store the cover that may well be dirty including bird poo?

Please don't think I'm poo pooing the covers, but IMHO it is alot of money for something that could be a five minute wonder and not quite so practicle as first thought.

Ours is cleaned once per year, that is all it needs and I am fussy what our van looks like (that's why I cover it). There are absolutely no signs of abrasion on the van and it is as clean and shiney as new, despite its 80000 miles. As said previously the van is hosed down after each use to remove any road dirt or grit with plain water before covering, takes no time at all. The cover is then put on wet or dry. We have had ours for some years now, at least four so it is no five minute wonder and has been worth every penny. As already described the cover normally goes straight into the garage or if wet the bath, whatever happens to be on it, as most of the cover is enclosed on itself there is rarely anything to make a mess anywhere besides it is very easy to shower the bath down.

I generally put on and remove the cover on my own complete with my prolapsed disc (got many years ago before we even had a caravan) the only time a second person can be useful is if you wish to fold neatly to place into the storage bag when it is windy, but as I have said earlier I am used to handling large awnings and come to that very large sails single handed.

I do wonder how much of the objections to a cover is a 'percieved' one by those that have not used/ do not have one rather than factual use of one.

Bas

We bought a Royal cover, about £150, so cheaper than Protec. It doesn't flap, has plenty of straps to secure it. There are zipped sections to allow access to the van when the cover is on. To be honest we seldom put it on the van as it is parked on the road, albeit a private cul de sac. With a car parked fore and aft there's not much room for maneouvre. If we had our own driveway we would definitely use it more to avoid the tree sap and magpie droppings. Have look at the Royal range.

ike

Basil - 2009-08-27 2:54 PM

I generally put on and remove the cover on my own complete with my prolapsed disc (got many years ago before we even had a caravan) the only time a second person can be useful is if you wish to fold neatly to place into the storage bag when it is windy, but as I have said earlier I am used to handling large awnings and come to that very large sails single handed.

I do wonder how much of the objections to a cover is a 'percieved' one by those that have not used/ do not have one rather than factual use of one.

Bas

Even though you have a bad back Bas, you seem to be accomplished and use to dealing with awnings and large sails. Great, but not everyone is, even if they are totally fit. Also I believe you said you had a downstairs bathroom which would help, as I for one wouldn't want to bring a wet cover indoors and upstairs to put in the bath while I was away.

My posting was from my own findings not preconceptions - I have no objection to people using a cover, and have had on hands experience of one - admittedly a friends.

My comments were to raise some points about a cover from my view point so that people can make up their own mind, like everyone else offering their postings. But sometimes without pros and cons pointed out, people could make a decision without having both sides of information.

In my personal opinion I would not spend the money on the cover as it would become a 'cover jig' with the amount of times it would be coming on and off as our motorhome is always ready to be used and used it is.

I did say "Please don't think I'm poo pooing the covers, but IMHO it is alot of money for something that could be a five minute wonder and not quite so practicle as first thought." I did say 'could be' not was, thus giving people room to make their own mind up.

We have had 3 motorhomes all without covers, all parked outside the house, all looking in A1 condition.

Used Pro-tec cover a few yrs ago. Far superior to present Towsure one - flimsy zips soon broke ( Towsure not interested ) cover now thin with several rips. Welsh saying 'buy cheap, buy twice.' No reply mentions one great disadvantage of a cover i.e. if you wish to move van, as recommended for tyre care, you have to remove cover ever time. Tried once to move 'van after removing all straps. One got trapped under wheel resulting in long tear in material. Cover has a tendency to catch on roof protusions which can be disasterous if you continue pulling on.

Archived