Norton 360

Syd

I have Norton 360 on this computer and it works ok if maybe a little slow but last weekend I bought a Tomtom 740 and installed Tomtom Home.

Now Norton keeps detecting a framework fault and closeing down leaving me with a windows fault report to send off.

This happens about every half hour

Does anyone know how I can prevent this or do I simply uninstall Tomtom Home and reinstall it whenever I wish to use it

Syd - 2009-08-25 8:25 AM

I have Norton 360 on this computer and it works ok if maybe a little slow but last weekend I bought a Tomtom 740 and installed Tomtom Home.

Now Norton keeps detecting a framework fault and closeing down leaving me with a windows fault report to send off.

This happens about every half hour

Does anyone know how I can prevent this or do I simply uninstall Tomtom Home and reinstall it whenever I wish to use it

Syd,

The Tomtom740 that you bought, is it the one that guides you round difficult islands, putting you into the correct lane? if so how do you rate it? I recently bought the Tomtom XL classic with the IQ routes edition which is good but I bought it in error I wanted the one with the island guidence system.

Syd - We had to bin Norton as it wanted to mess with everything and we here runs an awful lot of research programs that Norton was just not campatable with. Our techies say that norton is the worst for messing things up and the protection it gives is mediocre at best.

We now use McAfee but find them pretty useless.

Now looking for alternatives.

knight of the road - 2009-08-25 10:13 AM

The Tomtom740 that you bought, is it the one that guides you round difficult islands, putting you into the correct lane? if so how do you rate it? I recently bought the Tomtom XL classic with the IQ routes edition which is good but I bought it in error I wanted the one with the island guidence system.

I bought the Tomtom Go740 Live with Europe 32

It has

Maps of Europe (32 countries)

Advanced Lanr Guidance

Voice command and control

Hands free Bluetooth

Latest Maps

Help me emergenciy menu

Text to speech

Live services

Active Dock

Safety alerts

HD Traffic

Fuel Prices

Quick GPS Fix

local google search

Weather

IQ Routes

Map Share

Tomtom Home.

POI's

Etc Etc

I previously ran a 7 year old Navman and I just cannot get over how great the difference between them really is, should have changed years ago.

Absolutely fabulous, will be in Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France and Spain for 13/14 weeks starting next Wednesday so when I come back I will report.

One last thing, it is so simple to work you wouldn't believe it, so far it is fab

Syd,

Suggets that you uninstall Norton, it wants to take over your PC and isn't particularly good at what it's supposed to do.

Then download AVG, it's free and updates regularly, according to the techies it's as good as any for home use.

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

I run AVG with TomTom Home on a couple of PCs and don't have any problems.

Further to my previous post I have discovered there is a patch to this Framework problem available for the Norton support pages. It seems to affect Norton 360 and Internet Security 2009. I just wonder how long ago some of you last used Norton. From my experience of using over a number of year the 2009 version of Internet Security is a different animal to even the year before. It only scans in idle time so you don't get it taking over all the performance of the PC. It was AVG that I had problems with and the reason many years ago I went over to Norton.

David

PS

If you can't find the patch I can e-mail it to you as I saved it on my desktop.

Just received this email, not pleased to say that it didn't work as it still crashes

Error: "Symantec Service Framework has encountered a problem and needs to close..." after you install the latest updates for a Norton 2009 product or Norton 360 Version 3.0

Download and run the fix tool

Download the fix tool.

Save the file to the Windows desktop.

DOWNLOAD

On the Windows desktop, double-click KB20090821103237EN.exe.

In the Open File - Security Warning window, click Run.

In the Norton Hotfix window, click Yes.

Accept the license agreement, and click OK.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

Restart your computer.

In some cases you may need to restart the computer twice to apply the hotfix correctly. After you run the fix tool and restart the computer, if you still see this error message, restart the computer once again.

What if this didn't work?

Thank you for completing these steps, is your issue resolved?

Yes

No

DOCID: 20090821103237EN

Operating System: Windows Vista,Windows XP

Last modified: 08/25/2009

Thank you

Thank you for using Norton Support.

< Back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I am going to take up Bazza's suggestion.

This is 360 version 2.

Going back to the Tomtom.

I am very suprised to find that you can alter the mapping on the thing if you find that their map doesn't correspond with the actual road.

Had to go through Thirsk today (I know, I know,) and it incorrectly sent me down a very narrow side road, on the return trip it tried to send me down a one way street the wrong way. Will have words with that lady later on

Still in love with it though

Archived