Campervan Options for family of 4

kmoorman

Hello again all,

Having been on here a while ago to discuss our plans to get a motorhome for the 4 of us (2 adults, and kids of 3 ¾ and 7 ¾) we have since spent 10 days camping in Cornwall, and having had a chance to reflect upon the setup other people had then, we’ve had a change of heart.

To refresh, we were originally thinking of a 6 berth van, with rear (or side) bunks for the kids, but my wife has always had reservations about the size of such a van, and it may get little use. We have a budget of about 10k.

So, the new plan is to go for a smaller van, which meets the following key criteria:

1. Parkable & easily drivable

2. Will fit under height barriers

3. Capable of sleeping all 4 of us, if necessary (see below)

4. Basic cooking facilities (hob and perhaps grill) run off gas

5. A 3 way Fridge and at very least small freezer compartment

6. Storage to take our camping gear

7. Electric hook-up and 3 pin sockets

8. Good Leisure battery

9. Awning of some sort – to work with a 4/6 person tent (big enough for the family to happily inhabit for a week)

10. Water supply and sink with tap

11. Toilet of some kind for emergencies

The idea now is to invest in a good tent (there are some real beauties out there), to allow us to use the van as our transport, cooking area, and if the weather really turns hideous our emergency sleeping area. As I’ve said, we saw some interesting setups whilst camping, and with the very mixed weather we experienced, we saw the huge advantage of having a small but accommodating van as part of the camping ‘kit’.

One group of people near us had a van, with a fixed awning, under which they cooked, with wind-breaks to the sides, and then their tents ‘across the courtyard’ effectively. It seemed very cosy and homely setup like that, with a communal area for the good weather and the van with cooking facilities for those hideous days.

I’ve been doing some research, and in view of point 2, we think we need a pop-up top rather than fixed roof van conversion. The options seem to be to based mainly around the classic VW van model, Bongo/Freeda conversion, plus a few other VW models.

We’ve pretty much discounted the Bongo option, as the kids sleeping area is (as far as I can see) isolated from the lower area by a barrier, with a single ‘sky-light’ between the 2. The classic VW model are very pretty, but are they really up to spec for a family holiday? (Thoughts please).

The remaining vans on offer are relatively few and far between, and the final question I’ve been mulling over is this, would it be cost effective to buy a suitable van and get it professionally converted myself? How much would it cost to do this?

Any advice, not just about the cost of coach building, much appreciated.

Cheers

K

Guest JudgeMental

You will get better residual value from a proper camper.

By example, when my family were young we had a VW Westfalia with a drive away awning. it cost £7500, we used it for nearly 7 years and I sold it for £6.500, all I ever bought for it was a new exhaust. it was a compact but comfortable 4 berth. on route we used the double bed in roof and the lower bed, then on site we had the choice of sleeping in the awning as well.

But kids don't stay small for long......And a coachbuilt will always be more comfortable especially when the weather closes in*-)

Guest JudgeMental
kmoorman - 2009-08-25 2:20 PM

JudgeMental - 2009-08-25 1:54 PM

You will get better residual value from a proper camper.

What do you class as a proper camper?

For the kinda thing you are after a VW factory built camper for a start, but any reputable make rather then an obscure back steet job or home build?

I would go for a pop up roof, as the bed is larger with more head room

The thing is, you started of by saying you wanted a motorhome but your list is describing a campervan.......

campervans are still camping IMO a step up from a tent? but Motorhoming is different, you have the shower/toilet etc.... all the on board facilities? and most importantly with kids some room! you can stop anywhere and are comfortable when the weather is bad.

they are different pursuits IMO

Judgemental - I see. So even of I took a van to a pro coachbuilder company and got it done properly, a more 'standard' build / van combo would retain value better.

The problem seems to be a lot of the newer VW models have a fixed roof, which of course makes them quite a bit higher.

I think your analysis is about right, though you could add the Mercedes Vito and the Renault Traffic as alternatives.  The Traffic has the advantage of being squarer, so you lose less of the width higher up.  Converters like Bilbos have an excellent reputation, usually on new vans, but they will also source good used vans, and usually have a few for sale.  Whatever your choice of van, I think your biggest problem will be budget.  You will be looking at (probably) a T4 VW and, that being the case, as motorhomes generally do lightish mileages, the conversion quality will be what will count.  I think you'll struggle to find a Westfalia at £10K, so I'd be inclined to look at Bilbos second hand stock for a good basic used van, and be prepared to pay them to upgrade anything that is tatty.  They build to order, and have a fairly good turnover, with many customers coming back for newer vans, so you should be able to get onto a waiting list for vans that are known to be in the "pipeline".

Have a look http://tinyurl.com/kkqmul

On your item 2 you describe, will fit under height barriers. I believe the highest are 2.1 Mtrs.

That means you cannot have any form of pop-up roof or raised roof, as far as I'm aware, only a basic van design with a standard roof will go under 2.1Mtrs

Bill

libby - 2009-08-25 5:31 PM

On your item 2 you describe, will fit under height barriers. I believe the highest are 2.1 Mtrs.

That means you cannot have any form of pop-up roof or raised roof, as far as I'm aware, only a basic van design with a standard roof will go under 2.1Mtrs

Bill

You can get low line elevating roofs that will go under height barriers. On your budget I suggest looking at early VW T4 models from Autosleepers, Autohomes and Holdsworth.

camper69 - 2009-08-25 11:18 PM

libby - 2009-08-25 5:31 PM

Bill

You can get low line elevating roofs that will go under height barriers. On your budget I suggest looking at early VW T4 models from Autosleepers, Autohomes and Holdsworth.

Thanks to everyone for their replies... I'm on the lookout for the T4 model, and the Toyota equivalent (Hiace)

Hi, We used to have a VW devon conversion with pop up top which had 2 bunks which the girls used up to age 12. we had this for 7 years and had summer visits to spain and south france each year. Engine was 1600 aircooled version and clocked up 30000 miles before dropping no3 cylinder exhaust valve during motorway journey to London. New engine cost £600 and and VW said (they all do that at around that mileage).

We had a drive away side awning and took the cooker out from the van and used it freestanding in the awning on site. We also had a freestanding 12 volt fridge about 1 cuft, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eventually tin worm attacked door panel and the girls got too big for the bunks , and a french man attacked it in rear end on homeward journey one year . Insurance repaired it and we later sold it on as trade in for a car.

Girls were aged 3 and 5 when we got it, and 10 and 12 when it was sold

tonyg3nwl

Current van is Autocruise stargazer 2 berth, and girls have long since grown up and left home, both married and 2 grandchildren, age 9 and 11

tony

tonyg3nwl - 2009-08-29 3:57 PM

Hi, We used to have a VW devon conversion with pop up top which had 2 bunks which the girls used up to age 12. we had this for 7 years and had summer visits to spain and south france each year. Engine was 1600 aircooled version and clocked up 30000 miles before dropping no3 cylinder exhaust valve during motorway journey to London. New engine cost £600 and and VW said (they all do that at around that mileage).

We had a drive away side awning and took the cooker out from the van and used it freestanding in the awning on site. We also had a freestanding 12 volt fridge about 1 cuft, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eventually tin worm attacked door panel and the girls got too big for the bunks , and a french man attacked it in rear end on homeward journey one year . Insurance repaired it and we later sold it on as trade in for a car.

Girls were aged 3 and 5 when we got it, and 10 and 12 when it was sold

tonyg3nwl

Current van is Autocruise stargazer 2 berth, and girls have long since grown up and left home, both married and 2 grandchildren, age 9 and 11

tony

Tony,

Thanks for that reply - nice to hear that the classic VW camper is suitable for a family very similar to our own. My earliest holiday memories are in a pop top bedford dormobile conversion. I remember killing misquitos in the folds of the pop top roof!

I'm still on the look out for a suitable van on ebay... I find that autotrader has many less vans for sale, and the search facility is far less easy to use. Any other sites that it might be worth me visiting?

Kieron.

Some good friends of mine have a Bongo with a tent, they have two kids age 7 and 9 and manage fine. The Bongo, at least theirs, is also 4wd as most are, although some 2wd around. The roof arrangement also seems to work for them in an emergency although they use a thicker mattress. The Bongo before conversion has the advantage of already having the electric roof, seats that fold to beds and curtains on all windows. Plenty around to have converted or to buy ready done. They are ultra reliable and I would certainly not discount one. Spares are readily available and well priced plus they have a lot of kit as standard, aircon, auto box with overdrive etc. they are also really nice to drive with a great engine and auto box.

kmoorman - 2009-09-01 5:07 PM

I'm still on the look out for a suitable van on ebay... I find that autotrader has many less vans for sale, and the search facility is far less easy to use. Any other sites that it might be worth me visiting?

Kieron.

Have a look on www.preloved.co.uk there is everything being sold, it is a bit like Loot, I bought an electric bike a few weeks ago from one of the ads and it was nearly new.

Archived