sog toilet system

netty

I have checked out the link to the thread above. All I can add is that my wife is badly effected by chemical smells so we opted for a SOG unit a couple of years ago. It is absolutely fine as long as you empty the cassett every 5 days at the very maximum, 3 being better. If you leave it too long the smell pervades the vehicle until you stop and move the flap to activate the fan, so don't be lazy and empty it regularly. No costly chemicals and we love it. If you use your van a lot you will soon recoup the cost, too.

With regard to bedsit driver - why would you leave its contents in there for that length of time (3-5 days)?

I have a SOG fitted to the motorhome (one of the best additional purchases in my view) because you are not using chemicals, you can empty it as often as you wish as you are not having to get moneys worth out of the chemicals. This also helps on being able to carry the cassette without struggling when full under the weight. We have never had a smell come into the motorhome, even if we haven't been able to empty our cassette whilst travelling for a day or so.

Back however to the original request for info.

The Pros as we have found:

No need to purchase expensive chemicals.

Being able to empty when ever convenient and as frequently as you wish with no worry of wasting chemicals.

How pleasant it is to follow someone into the toilet when there is no alternative toilet available!

The knowledge that we can empty the cassette in all Countries - some are now not letting you empty if you use certain chemicals (Hymer I believe are now coming with SOG fited as standard)

Because of frequent emptying - the knowledge that at an inconvenient time, the cassette isn't going to register full.

Not having a smelly motorhome.

No outside smell from the vent.

Not running out of chemicals or having to store them.

Using any kind of toilet paper.

The Cons as we have found:

The initial outlay of the SOG.

A few seconds of smell when emptying the cassette as there are no chemical fragrances to mask it. (over come by holding ones nose if you are wimpish)

I can honestly say that we have been more than pleased with SOG and when we change motorhome in the future, it will be one of the first add-ons we will be fitting. It is worth every 'penny' spent in all senses!

Has anyone tried the new OneChem which has entered the market place?It can be used in the top and bottom tanks/cassette. There is an advert in MMM.

It smells faintly of almonds and does not get in your throat like some of the established brands. After a few uses I have found this much more pleasant.

Hi Netty,

I would hold onto your cash for a little while as a new version is about to be released at the Dusseldorf show....

>Click Here<

Google translate of the web page :-D ...

New SOG-series for all camping toilets

Compact unit with a new filter technology for flexible placement in the vehicle

The SOG II optimizes the known benefits of SOG systems brings significant technical innovations:

The system consists of a compact unit, which by their size for flexible placement in various locations allows the vehicle.

The vent can be done preferably on the ground. Now that the filter unit is placed inside the vehicle is no change on the outside of the vehicle longer needed - account for a vote on the exterior.

Looks even more advantageous to the optimization of the filter: the specific technical design of the filter housing in relation to current technology, we achieve excellent filtration results. Also new is the organic materials used for absorbing filter material.

These improvements mean that the toilet extracted from the pool, fully air geruchsbelastete we - neutralized with long filter life.

The SOG-compact design has also changed by the special low noise and the possibility of the child's changing the filter.

Pete

peejay:

I think you'll find that SOG-II isn't that innovative. It looks like the fan-unit from the old 'fixed toilet tank' SOG ventilation kit has just been grafted on to a filter base exhausting through the leisure-vehicle's floor (ie. like the ventilator on a Thetford C-250 toilet). This obviously provides aesthetic advantages - no hole needed in the cassette-locker door - but, just as with a C-250, retro-fitting a SOG II may prove difficult/impossible.

Rapido-lass:

I agree with everything you've said except "No outside smell from the vent." Either your sense of smell is much less sensitive than mine or the carbon filter on your SOG-unit is much more effective than my SOG's.

Logically, if there's a fan sucking extremely stinky air out of a toilet cassette and blowing it through the side-wall of a motorhome, there's no way that a small chunk of carbon-impregnated 'foam' will eradicate all the smell that emerges. If someone's nose happens to be near the SOG outlet when the SOG's in use, I'm confident they won't enjoy the olfactory experience.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-09-04 8:36 AM

Rapido-lass:

I agree with everything you've said except "No outside smell from the vent." Either your sense of smell is much less sensitive than mine or the carbon filter on your SOG-unit is much more effective than my SOG's.

Logically, if there's a fan sucking extremely stinky air out of a toilet cassette and blowing it through the side-wall of a motorhome, there's no way that a small chunk of carbon-impregnated 'foam' will eradicate all the smell that emerges. If someone's nose happens to be near the SOG outlet when the SOG's in use, I'm confident they won't enjoy the olfactory experience.

I accept what you say and in my defense I can honestly say that I have not smelt anything from my SOG's vent, my nose isn't blocked but I do not make a habit of hanging around the vent either, although we do periodically check to make sure filter still working as we wouldn't want to upset any neighbouring campers. However, I think that maybe as the filter wears out perhaps the smell coverage is limited as I certainly haven't perfected the art of my poo smelling like roses (emptying it can verify that point).

Archived