Weighbridge readings

4petedaniel

Assuming your van was weighed in Kg, then 3,500 - 3,114 = 386.  So, you have 386 Kg of unused payload.  Don't forget, that payload has to include you, and anyone else travelling in the van.  It would have been wise to get the weights on each axle as well, since one frequently runs out of load capacity before the other.

Guest JudgeMental
4petedaniel - 2009-08-25 5:15 PM

I have just come from our local weighbridge where they recorded my camper at 3114.

does that mean I have 1064lbs/468kilos left to the maximum 3.5 Tons

or as I suspect I have got it

3500kg minus 3114kg equals 386kg :-D

not a lot but we manage with similar and there are 4 of us.......You don't say if this visit was fully loaded as in holiday mode?

You should have got the weight of each axle as well, particularly as you want to carry a scooter and rack. Sorry but I don't think you have the spare capacity for this.

JudgeMental - 2009-08-25 5:25 PM

4petedaniel - 2009-08-25 5:15 PM

I have just come from our local weighbridge where they recorded my camper at 3114.

does that mean I have 1064lbs/468kilos left to the maximum 3.5 Tons

or as I suspect I have got it

3500kg minus 3114kg equals 386kg :-D

not a lot but we manage with similar and there are 4 of us.......You don't say if this visit was fully loaded as in holiday mode?

You should have got the weight of each axle as well, particularly as you want to carry a scooter and rack. Sorry but I don't think you have the spare capacity for this.

At My local weighbridge I was lucky to get any thing at all as they where very resistant to doing a check for me as they informed me that it was their bussist time but as I seemed to be the only person that I could see around, If I had to insist asking for a axle check. it would have been more than they could have managed in a single day as it was they asked me if I could come back on friday.

there was two people on board with the more than half holiday load with a low fuel tank

Well at least with the information I now have. I can now ask the installers what they think.

If you're referring to the air assistance and scooter rack installers, then I'm afraid you don't have the information you need.  The van was not full, and the tank was low, and you did not get the axle loads, which are the most important item of the lot.  As I said before, you really do need to load it fully, with full reservoirs, and get the weights on both axles.  Try another weighbridge, and/or phone the operator before going, to ask when is the quiet time to go.  Failure to do this risks a severely overloaded back axle.

Guest JudgeMental

"Well at least with the information I now have. I can now ask the installers what they think"

what do you expect them to say? probably gaging to sell you all that expensive & heavy kit *-)

you need impartial and informed advice, you get that from here gratis.....but you need to provide the correct info first? (the 3 weights) And because of what you are considering you really need to visit fully laden in holiday mode.

re weighing: you just pull the front wheels on and write down the measurement then forward a little with all wheels on for the weight you got today, and then roll forward with just the rear wheels on for probably the most important weight measurement in your case :-S

but it looks even more unlikey to me that your van is suitable.......

Hi,

Slightly related. I have found out that a COMMERCIAL vehicle that is overloaded has the defence that the truck is going to the nearest weighbridge. It is also a defence to be returning from a weighbridge, but the police can demand that you stop somewhere that will not obstruct traffic, and unload.

There is also something about a vehicle becoming heavier by 5% since loading ..... without having it load increased. I find that difficult to understand, unless it allows for Yorkie having a big meal.

The same concessions do not seem to apply to non-commercial vehicles.

Yes, you can say you are travelling to the nearest weighbridge, but it is the nearest to where you started your journey, and if you pass one that you didn't know about or use then you are in trouble.

As for the weight of the vehicle increasing since it was weighed, then that too is correct and generally applies to loads like timber and straw which can absorb water since they were loaded if its raining.

Hope that helps.

Stew :->

4petedaniel - 2009-08-25 7:39 PM Any one know a helpfull weighbridge in the swindon area as I realy dont want to go back to my local council weighbridge again>

You pay council tax don't you? Go back and don't be intimidated, also ask when the weighbridge was last calibrated and can you see the certificate, that should really get up their nose. One last thing, anyone using a weighbridge should make sure it is clean (no wet mud or debris on it) and that goes for underneath your van to.

Dave 

Pete a lot of talk on here by people who have never fitted a scooter rack or carried a scooter. I know they are trying to be helpful but do not let them put you off. First it is correct that you will need all three weights for anyone to calculate the load you can add. Not sure what some carry around but it must include 'the kitchen sink' to reach to weights they have. I can give you my loadings which will give you some idea. First your spare payload of 386 kg should be ok, my scooter and rack added 190kgto total so even with full fuel load and a bit more kit you should be under your weight limit. Now the axle bit, my scooter added 290 kgs to the rear axle but the front axle load was reduced by 100kgs so you will have to try and add weight further forward, in fact a full fuel tank will probably do this. Get it weighed properly and then contact www.watling-towbars.co.uk who will work out the weight of scooter you can carry.

Brian Kirby - 2009-08-26 5:45 PM
rupert123 - 2009-08-26 3:40 PM ...............but the front axle load was reduced by 100kgs so you will have to try and add weight further forward, ................

Why?

If the rear axle is fairly loaded up that is where spare capacity will be.

I have found over the years that it is important to always be friendly with people you may use.

When I have any small amounts of metal I take it to the local scrap yard then tell the staff to put the money in the tea tin, when I need my M/H weighing I go along, no prob its weighed FOC, it is not a public weigh

bridge. As has been said load up then have each axle weighed individually

My last M/H had much spare capacity to spare on the front but little on the rear.

rupert123 - 2009-08-26 3:40 PM Pete a lot of talk on here by people who have never fitted a scooter rack or carried a scooter. I know they are trying to be helpful but do not let them put you off. First it is correct that you will need all three weights for anyone to calculate the load you can add. Not sure what some carry around but it must include 'the kitchen sink' to reach to weights they have. I can give you my loadings which will give you some idea. First your spare payload of 386 kg should be ok, my scooter and rack added 190kgto total so even with full fuel load and a bit more kit you should be under your weight limit. Now the axle bit, my scooter added 290 kgs to the rear axle but the front axle load was reduced by 100kgs so you will have to try and add weight further forward, in fact a full fuel tank will probably do this. Get it weighed properly and then contact www.watling-towbars.co.uk who will work out the weight of scooter you can carry.

Rupert

What happens when his fuel goes down to a  Quarter tank? Surely you are not saying he as to stop every 30 miles or so to keep it topped up.

Dave 

nowtelse2do - 2009-08-26 7:57 PM
rupert123 - 2009-08-26 3:40 PM Pete a lot of talk on here by people who have never fitted a scooter rack or carried a scooter. I know they are trying to be helpful but do not let them put you off. First it is correct that you will need all three weights for anyone to calculate the load you can add. Not sure what some carry around but it must include 'the kitchen sink' to reach to weights they have. I can give you my loadings which will give you some idea. First your spare payload of 386 kg should be ok, my scooter and rack added 190kgto total so even with full fuel load and a bit more kit you should be under your weight limit. Now the axle bit, my scooter added 290 kgs to the rear axle but the front axle load was reduced by 100kgs so you will have to try and add weight further forward, in fact a full fuel tank will probably do this. Get it weighed properly and then contact www.watling-towbars.co.uk who will work out the weight of scooter you can carry.

Rupert

What happens when his fuel goes down to a  Quarter tank? Surely you are not saying he as to stop every 30 miles or so to keep it topped up.

Dave 

Sorry David am I being a bit thick here or is it you. What I am saying is MOST OF THE SPARE CAPACITY WILL BE ON FRONT AXLE. Having recognized this then if your rear axle is near its limit then you have to try and shift additional added weight to front. Fuel will do this but it matters not a damn thing how full tank is if it is not loading mainly on the rear axle

Archived