Pyrenees

Mike P

We're off to France for September & thinking of heading for the Pyrenees with the intention of doing some walking & cycling, but to be honest we haven't a clue as to which area. I'm trying to do some reading but you can't beat personal recommendation so we'd be grateful for any info from you fellow travellers out there. Recommendations for aires would also be gratefully received.

Mike P

PS Should test the gearbox mods!

We love the Pyrenees, and would highly recommend an Aire at Thues entre Vals, up the Tet valley from Prades. Access from the Aire to the spectacular Gorges de Caranca is direct and walking is amazing. Also, the Little Yellow Train passes with a local station, for rides up to the high valley. Wonderful area.

Neil B

Hi We have just spent 5 weeks in the Pyrenees and thoroughly loved it following an earlier two weeks in June there and three weeks last year. The last trip started at St Jean Pied de Port and we zig-zagged back and forth between France and Spain. We parked mainly off aires in wild spots and car parks (didnt spend a euro on sites!) Water easily available.

The following is a list with co-ords -many places we stayed more than 1 night

Le Tech, 66 42.40980 2.54457

Les Bains de la Preste, 66 42.40654 2.40053

Above Les Bains de la Preste, 66 42.43516 2.39672

Col d'Ares, Fr Es Border 42.36693 2.45597

Beget, Es 42.32165 2.47916

Vallter 2000 42.42095 2.26837

Queralbs, 42.35267 2.16666

Foret de Barres, 66 42.53162 2.07165

S of Castet, 64 43.06696 0.41718

nr. Ahusquy, 64 43.09487 -1.03327

Navarra, ES 43.01217 -1.40994

Iraty, 64 43.06545 -1.17528

Iraty, 64 43.05920 -1.16196

Larrau, ,64 43.01765 -0.95558

Porte de Larrau,64 42.97441 -0.99359

Canfranc Estacion ES 42.75538 -0.51432

Aydius, 64 43.00160 -0.54370

Forest de Badger, 64 43.12393 -0.53882

Eaux Bonnes, 64 42.97309 -0.39372

Gourette, 64 42.95703 -0.33000

Col du Soulor, 65 42.96046 -0.25650

Argeles Gazost, 65 43.00742 -0.09530

Luz Ardiden, 65 42.89298 -0.05987

Luz Ardiden, 65 42.89298 -0.05987

Plateau ??, 65 42.88428 -0.03820

Ste Marie de Campan 42.98265 0.22826

Piau Engaly,65 42.78544 0.16022

Val Louron, 65 42.79165 0.38849

Pont de Prat, Vallee de Louron, 65 42.75161 0.41205

Peyresourde Balestas, 65 42.78933 0.44227

Lac de Bethmale, 09 42.86309 1.08480

Lac de Bethmale, 09 42.863090 1.084800

Galey, 09 42.934500 0.912450

Cscde d'Enfer, Vallee du Lys, 31 42.735420 0.557100

Uehls deth Joeu Plan dera Artiga, ES 42.678400 0.705528

Vielha, Spain 42.703300 0.797100

Orri, Plan de Beret, Spain 42.706680 0.956540

Esterri d'Aneu 42.625880 1.124700

Refugi del Fornet, nr Alos d'Isil 42.725500 1.107770

Baiasca 42.508617 1.141505

Areu,ES 42.588463 1.327353

Admirable!! Didn't spend a Euro on sites, Eh? Can you tell us where you emptied your Chemical Toilet and put your grey water, not to mention the contents of your waste bin? Someone has to pay for these services, so I expect the local communities you visited would be happy to do this for you. I don't mean to sound so critical, but we do have to be careful not to alienate the locals and their authorities so that they won't be so tolerant of our activities.

Neil B

I also have never paid to use a site in France, using aires and paying for facilities on these when it is not free. as stated in the article, mainly off aires. I reckon that buying fuel, fresh food, launderette and stocking up in the super U etc. puts something back into the local economy. Every one is entitled to do their own thingi if done properly. Don't knock it.

Clive.

Neil -sounds like you have never visited France!! For disposal (and water) we used some of the aires as well as public loos. We have a house in France and in the centre of town in the main car park you can empty and refill your motorhome for free and I guess I indirectly through local taxes pay for this.

Far from alienation in many places you are made extremely welcome. Granted it is somewhat different in many places at the med as the sheer numbers of MH's (along with all other forms of tourism) mean regulation.

One of the nice things that attracts so many to France and the continent is the feeling that someone is not about to charge you for whatever you do at every turn.

it never fails to amaze me that UK MH's spend £35k plus on a motorhome just to spend £20 a night for the pleasure of having to book in advance (often for more than one night) the be insulted by a grumpy site warden on a site that duplicates many of the facilities of the motorhome (loo, shower etc.)

armstrongpiper - 2009-08-26 10:50 AM

OK, I get your point, and agree that it is great to be free of the British regulatory mentality. However, I can't help feeling that, one day there may be a reaction to the abuse of all these freedoms, and regulations will be tightened.

Neil B

B-) Not in France and not in the USA. These 2 countries are the 2 best I have ever visited for friendliness to Motorhomers. IMH&HO. ;-)

armstrongpiper - 2009-08-26 11:50 AM

OK, I get your point, and agree that it is great to be free of the British regulatory mentality. However, I can't help feeling that, one day there may be a reaction to the abuse of all these freedoms, and regulations will be tightened.

Neil B

Fortunately in France the MHers are defended and these freedoms are being extended with new aires many with free facilities. Contrast that with the nit picking UK attitude. I suggest you look at the posting 'Why we chose France for the Bank Holiday' to see what I mean.

Brilliant place - Artouste-Fabreges. It features in All the Aires Book. Parking by the lake. From there you can take a cable car and then a little red train which takes you up the mountain. Brilliant views etc. If you are able you can then walk from the train to a reservoir. If not you can straight back on the train. We saw our first marmots there.

armstrongpiper - 2009-08-26 10:50 AM OK, I get your point, and agree that it is great to be free of the British regulatory mentality. However, I can't help feeling that, one day there may be a reaction to the abuse of all these freedoms, and regulations will be tightened. Neil B

I think you may have misunderstood what is provided for motorhomers in France.  Under the generic title of "aires", in fact aires de services camping-car, there are three general categories of official motorhome service points.  Most are provided by the local communes (councils), though some are at campsites and others at motorhome dealerships or even supermarkets. 

1 There are areas specifically designated for daytime motorhome parking only (often abused by car drivers). 

2 There are areas as above, but at which it is permitted to pass at least one night, often more, sometimes unlimited, and

3 there are "dump stations", areas that provide for emptying waste, toilet cassettes, household refuse, filling with fresh water, with sometimes a degree of electrical hook up. 

The three broad categories are not necessarily separated, and it is usual to find the dump station co-located with the overnight stopovers, sometimes with the daytime only stopovers. 

Not all the dump stations provide the full range of services: most commonly just the waste disposal and fresh water fill are provided for.  Most make a fairly nominal charge for water, but many provide even this free.  Electricity is almost invariably charged, and limited in duration.  The waste dump facilities alone are almost invariably free to use. 

Very nearly all French communes have communal dry waste disposal compounds somewhere on the outskirts, where plastics, tins, batteries, paper, glass and general refuse are separately "binned".  Many of these communes also have free to use car parks on which it is quite common to allow overnight parking of motorhomes.  The communes encourage this, it is the reason the "aires" exist, because they hope the visitors will spend a few Euros with the local shops.  Enlightened self-interest, I think it is called. 

Thus, it is perfectly possible, legal, and even officially encouraged, to do as described and move around without using campsites and, provided waste disposal takes place at designated dump stations, no upset or pollution will result.  Many do this, including, I would say, the majority of French motorhomers.  Similar installations exist in Germany, called stellplatze, and Italy, called Arees di sosta.  The facilities and credentials are approximately similar.

Provided users do not abuse the free installations, pay their way at the chargeable ones, and leave nothing behind but their tyreprints, they have done everything the French (German/Italian) authorities have asked of them.  I happen to prefer campsites, but I can see no reason for jibes like "cheapskate" for those who prefer to benefit from these alternative installations/provisions.  They exist, as illustrated above, throughout the Pyrenees, which is why the claim that this discussion is in some way a digression, is a little intemperate.  We can all learn, no?

No Brian the question asked was clear, at least to me, if you wish to discuss the merits of campsites v the alternatives where you have to park your van ready to make a quick getaway in case you are attacked I would suggest you start a new thread not hijack this one. I confess a motive here as i to am heading for this area next week but will look on the MHF forum where I may get the info asked for.

rupert123 - 2009-08-26 4:51 PM

.....the merits of campsites v the alternatives where you have to park your van ready to make a quick getaway in case you are attacked

The trouble is folk making pejorative comments like this. Over 500 nights of 'the alternative' since we started motorhoming and we have never once even come close to being attacked. Rather enjoyed some very peaceful quiet spots with beautiful views such as I listed earlier in this area.

One accepts that there are isolated incidents but then the very act of living has many risks along the way.

However I recognise that some prefer and can afford the alternative of the campsite -good luck to them- although many sites in this area and across much of France will be winding down after their 2 month season.

rupert123 - 2009-08-26 3:51 PM No Brian the question asked was clear, at least to me, if you wish to discuss the merits of campsites v the alternatives where you have to park your van ready to make a quick getaway in case you are attacked I would suggest you start a new thread not hijack this one. I confess a motive here as i to am heading for this area next week but will look on the MHF forum where I may get the info asked for.

Rupert, please see below, just for you sweetie!  :-) (But the underlining is mine.) 

In truth, no-one should ever have to make a quick getaway from an officially designated aire.  From a wild camping spot possibly, but that really does seem to fall outside the scope of the original question.

Mike P - 2009-08-25 8:22 PM We're off to France for September & thinking of heading for the Pyrenees with the intention of doing some walking & cycling, but to be honest we haven't a clue as to which area. I'm trying to do some reading but you can't beat personal recommendation so we'd be grateful for any info from you fellow travellers out there. Recommendations for aires would also be gratefully received. Mike P PS Should test the gearbox mods!

ian81 - 2009-08-26 4:44 PM

rupert123 - 2009-08-26 4:51 PM

.....the merits of campsites v the alternatives where you have to park your van ready to make a quick getaway in case you are attacked

The trouble is folk making pejorative comments like this. Over 500 nights of 'the alternative' since we started motorhoming and we have never once even come close to being attacked. Rather enjoyed some very peaceful quiet spots with beautiful views such as I listed earlier in this area.

One accepts that there are isolated incidents but then the very act of living has many risks along the way.

However I recognise that some prefer and can afford the alternative of the campsite -good luck to them- although many sites in this area and across much of France will be winding down after their 2 month season.

Ian your list was useful and part of what was asked for, but sites closing across France after two months season, well I know a few on the Atlantic coast that do but very few elsewhere, plenty are open until end of October in all area's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived