Insurance on Bosnian corridor to Croatian Coast?

betsy

Can anyone tell me if they have managed to get cover (even third party would do) to allow me to drive my motorhome across the short Bosnian corridor that cuts into the Croatian coast road en-route to Dubrovnik.

The last time I did the trip I had heard that one could buy temporary cover at the border but, in reality, you come across the (tinyl) border post very suddenly and are just waived past by fairly burly Bosnian blokes in uniform whom you would not really want to argue with! As I recall, there was nothing else at the check point ....certainly no kiosk selling insurance etc.

I came back via the ferry.

Thanks.

PS What isthe best way to buy the Croatian currency?

Our last Green Card (Saga) included Bosnia and Herzegovina so we were covered, Just changed to NFU Mutual, they also include it, but third party cover only. They also include Serbia which was excluded by Saga.

As I remember there's not much of a border and nowhere to buy insurance if you don't have cover.

As far as currency goes we just used ATMs.

Andy

We travelled to Dubrovnik earlier this year and didn't even consider the insurance situation. The section of Bosnia you drive through is no more than 20k and at the border crossings we were waved through each time we passed.

There were plenty of people stopping in Bosnia to shop and eat on their way through to Dubrovnik.

Dubrovnik is a beautiful place and we will definitely return again.

We purchased some Croatian Kuna at the ferry terminal in Ancona before travelling across to split and once there we used ATM's and Credit/Debit Cards.

Peter

summers - 2009-08-29 8:20 AM We travelled to Dubrovnik earlier this year and didn't even consider the insurance situation. The section of Bosnia you drive through is no more than 20k and at the border crossings we were waved through each time we passed. ................ Peter

And this is the point.  It is very possible you had no insurance whatever on those 15 km of the Neum corridor.  If you knowingly decide to take the risk, that is your decision.  However, should you be the unlucky one who gets pooped by a Bosnian as you pass through, and the police are called, and they ask for your papers, you risk arrest and your vehicle being seized.  It is a small risk, but with potentially severe consequences.

The Ploce to Trpanj ferry is not totally reliable as to its ability to embark and disembark motorhomes.  If the Bora is blowing the local sea level rises, and creates a grounding risk on the vehicle access ramp.

I believe one of the insurers used by the Caravan Club's insurance service will also cover Bosnia, but with a time limit on the Bosnian extension (days, not hours!).  You do need a green card for Bosnia, some insurers insist on one for Croatia.

We got Croatian Kuna last year from the Post Office on line service at what seemed a reasonable exchange rate.

Thank you all for your advice. I considered the problem long and hard and decided that although I was lucky that first time that I went through the Bosnian corridor on the Road to Dubrovnik, "sod's law" would result in my getting into some sort of "incident" if I tried it again. I also recall the burly blokes decked out in dark blue at the border and would not really want to get entangled with Bosnian officialdom! Accordingly, I have solved the problem by changing insurers from Comfort to Saga as the latter company not only provided like-for-like cover at a slightly lower premium but also have promised a fully comprehensive green card to cover Bosnia i Hercegovina - at no extra charge!

I concur with the ferry being a bit hit-and-miss (okay once on board and very comfortable passenger accomodation though). The last time I took it, the campervan in front of me lost it's exhaust getting on board and when we got to the mainland the crew just walked off leaving us all to unload ourselves!!! Thats the day I learned to get on/off smaller ferries at an angle!!

Thanks again, folks.

Archived