Mediums

nightrider

howie - 2009-08-26 11:18 PM

And they say Laurel and Hardy were the masters of slapstick. :-> .

Serious now lads. Could you move these threads to another time slot as tonight they clashed with 'Blazing Saddles' on TCM.

Blazing saddles? with Mel Brookes, great.

Well said Malcolm, and despite Rupert,s assertions you are obviously a man of great taste and an eye for the finer things in life.

Next to 'Godzilla meets Billy the Kid' this has to be one of the finest films of its kind, but an appreciation seemingly lost on most women, with my wife casting me looks of disbelieve and disgust in equal measures while I chortled away. Still, in some perverse way this only adds to the pleasure, and anything that gets up her nose only adds to the enjoyment.

Just had to come on and let you all know something which has just happened.

I don't know what to think about Mediums, to be honest..... and tend to lean towards them being very good (or sometimes rubbish) hoaxers, but I do believe that there are more things in Heaven and Earth than we understand..... and because we cannot see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

However, I have just had telephone call from a really wonderful friend of mine as was, but we have lost contact over the last six months. We were going through chemotherapy together. She telephoned because she was concerned about me and my daughter. Her youngest daughter went to a Spriitualist last night. They live the other side of London (a lifetime away from me) and we have never met, just phoned regularly and written letters and sent presents and supported each other. The meeting was expecting 30 people but only two turned up and the girl had only gone for a light-hearted look at the meeting. However, the Medium said that there must be a reason for only two people being there and went into her 'act' or whatever it is called. She became distressed and asked my friend's daughter if she knew someone called Joy or Carly..... (I call my daughter Carly when I am being sort of affectionate)...... she wanted to warn them!!!! She didn't elaborate.

I am going all weird inside as I don't want to go into it on the forum but there have been horrendous problems this last two months and I am out of my mind over my daughter, as I feel she is in real danger over someone who lives close by to her - she is about 3 hours drive away from me.. I have also been thinking of my nan a lot. She brought me up more or less till I was 10 and then she died. This message has really scared me. I don't know what to do as my daughter's nerves are in a terrible state and I don't want to frighten her.....

Crumbs, I sound like a lunatic don't I. Sorry, just had to tell someone and two senile dementia parents are not really going understand what I am saying.... or the implications of it. Sorry. :'(

knight of the road - 2009-08-27 9:06 AM

howie - 2009-08-26 11:18 PM

And they say Laurel and Hardy were the masters of slapstick. :-> .

Serious now lads. Could you move these threads to another time slot as tonight they clashed with 'Blazing Saddles' on TCM.

Blazing saddles? with Mel Brookes, great.

Nope, sorry this Blazing saddles was the 1 Hour documentary by 'SUSTRANS' :D :D :D

Roon,

The late Harry Houdini made a pact with his mother that she would contact him in the ‘Afterlife’, after a series of séances with so called mediums, he became so enraged that offered a large reward to any ’medium’ who could prove their validity, He spent the rest of his life unmasking fraud, after fraud.

The reward was never claimed.

In my opinion they are charlatans who prey on people in times of great distress,

I think the best help in times of crisis, is to talk to friends and loved ones on this earth,

They rarely let you down.

Best wishes and regards’ PKC.

I have never had any time for mediums and such like and dont want to know what the future holds for me good or bad.

But someone close to me had a consultation with a medium the other night which was video taped, all precautions were taken so that the medium knew nothing of the client.

I watched that video the other night and I was shocked and stunned and even a little frightened of what the medium revealed, it gave me food for thought.

pkc - 2009-08-27 6:05 PM

Roon,

In my opinion they are charlatans who prey on people in times of great distress,

I think the best help in times of crisis, is to talk to friends and loved ones on this earth,

They rarely let you down.

Best wishes and regards’ PKC.

That just about sums it up Joy and such a tenuous connection, by the daughter of someone you have never met, should be dismissed out of hand. Very clever these 'mediums' at getting you to supply, unwittingly, all the information they need, and all it then needs is your compliance to round the whole thing off. Think of it this way. only those who believe in such things would visit a medium, so are'nt they the very one's who would be taken in by this sort of thing.

Not sure why your 'friend' would pass this on to you, or why a medium would would suggest such distressing prophesies, not good for business if you frighten off your customers, but I do believe that only you can dictate what the the future holds for you, and your daughter, and that future belongs to you and you alone.

Joy I cant help thinking that if this person was distressed and wanted to warn you she WOULD have elaborated and told them why .

All this friend has done is give you something else to worry about.

I have an open mind about Mediums as I cant understand except for greed why someone would lie to vunerable people I can only give them the benefit of the doubt that they might have a sixth sense! we all to some degree have good and bad feelings about things dont we.

Its up to you what you do but we all Im sure warn our children and grand children to be very carefull all the time.

ROON - 2009-09-05 4:35 PM

:D :D Colin! Naughty lad. The thread began, 'On a serious note .....;

But, I did allow it a respectful distance before spearing it with this insight. And, the thread was getting a little bare, threadbare perhaps and needed refreshing, nicht wahr?

And, are not, "On a serious note" and the OP an oxymoron?

Regards

I must admit that I may have been wrong and that there could be something in this medium/paranormal business.

I was at a popular seaside resort yesterday and, inspired by this thread, I entered a booth marked 'Madam Gypsy Petrulengo, Medium and Fortune Teller'.

I passed over a fiver and she gazed into a large crystal ball and immediately assumed a troubled look. "I'm sorry to have to tell you" says she, "that you will never have any more children."

I was about to take my leave, still a bit unconvinced, when she accidentally knocked the crystal ball, which rolled off the table into my lap and crushed my wedding tackle.

I'm feeling better today and didn't want any more children anyway, but it makes you think doesn't it?

Do you now speak with the same funny voice that chap who lied about having a vasectomy on Constipation Street does Rupert?

As for Mediums - I have never consulted one but I do know that myself and my Gran had some sort of connection in that I truly seemed to know when she was going to pop round when I was a kid.

Then, unbeknown by me, when she was dying, I was on a course in Hereford and on the last day of the course I became very anxious and did not want to stay for the post course lunch. So I drove home but for no reason went a different way along the M4 so that I could drop into the Nursing Home she was at in Newbury.

On arriving there I was met by my Aunt who asked how I knew she was dying. And of course I didn't. This was years ago before mobile phones. I just knew that I wanted to be there.

I still find it a bit spooky even today, because never before had I felt as anxious as I did that day and usually the post course lunch is a very enjoyable affair that I enjoy. But all I wanted to do was to get away and as soon as I was in the car I knew I had to drive via Newbury rather than take the direct route home.

8-)

There are more things etc etc etc

there are also a lot of people ready to manipulate and rip-off vulnerable people.

I accept events as Clive describes, but would give short shrift to anyone asking for contributions.

good read on the subject

Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks by Christopher-Brookmyre

I am not a believer, as you would expect, from one so down to earth (aka cynical).

However I do know two people, both ladies I might add (neither blonde!), and both with considerable common sense who are very firm believers and who consult different mediums on a regular basis.

Some of the things they tell me that they have learnt from or been told by 'mediums' who they have never met previously and who could not possibly know these things from their own past - are quite remarkable - if you believe it!

So although I don't understand it - I don't knock or rubbish it either - but if it can help or give comfort that surely is all that matters as long as the cost is within reasonable bounds?

Before I set about writing this post I reviewed the video recording of the session with the medium to make sure of my facts.

The person who was the subject of the session took the precaution of having the session in a neutral place not his own house, he also gave a false name, no information about the person in question was given and no way could the medium have checked the electoral roll to glean any info.

After introductions were given and the usual small talk the medium said, firstly you do not live in this house and the name you have given me is wrong and your real name is ***.

After various revealations the medium said you are very concerned about a particular person, he gave the name of the individual and the malady that person was suffering from and said, there will be no 'passing' (death) he also revealed the names of **** mother and 3 sisters, there is no possible way that the medium could have sourced that info, and like I said watching that tape recording shocked me to my marrow bone jelly.

Unwittingly, it is likely that your friend partly gave the game away without realising it. His actions, ie that he wasn't totally 'at home' it the property for example, and his lack of conviction when saying his name, or it could simply have been a slight movement he made when trying to be 'truthful', would have been observed by the medium.

Mediums gather information, not all of it verbal, from people and it is this which gives them 'clues' as to whether what they are saying is correct or not, or in the right ball park. As for knowing the names, again was it as cut and dried as you say or was there some 'mumbling' of the names until the exact ones were found ... if so, then the medium would more than likely have been observing the reaction to the mumblings.

It would appear that a lot of what a medium says can be a 'catch all' at first, and then the 'reeling in' starts as you give out signals of what is relevant to you ....

Saying that, I do sometimes know something is going to happen and it does ... without any reason as to why I'd know ...

8-)

Archived