Shropshire to Brecon

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

I dont know this part of the country *-)

going up to Albrighton in Shropshire tomorrow to visit family. the next morning we are heading to Brecon Beacons for a house warming. the sat nav route takes us via the A454/A49/A44/A4112/A438 through Bridgnorth and Ludlow......Is this route OK for a coachbuilt? and any stops worth a look along the way ? Ludlow is supposed to me nice yes? can you park there?

or would I be better oft heading for Shrewsbury and down on the A49 to Ludlow?

Hi Judge, Carol Hymer has just been to Brecon Beacons and also travelled to Shropshire way. I'm not sure if she looks in Motorhome Matters, but it might be worth you copying your post in a pm to her.

If she telephones me in the meantime, I will point her your way.

(Out of interest, she was really taken with the Brecon Beacons - so hope you have a wonderful time.)

Joy

Hi Judge,

Not sure about the route from Albrighton to Brecon but Derek answered a question about camping/parking in Ludlow for the food festival in the Site Speak section. I was thinking about going there myself, one of the weekends.

Janine should be able to help with the roads through Bridgnorth or at least the ones with a pub. :-D

The route is OK, no very tight bits, but this is Shropshire so most of the roads are not dual carriageway.

Ludlow is worth a visit, park behind the supermarket and walk up to the castle and square, it might be market day.

Have a look round the factory shop near the castle, just ask, everybody knows where it is.

http://www.shropshiretourism.co.uk/shropshire-towns/

Geoff

Hi Judge, just got back from 8 days in the Breckon Beacons, no trouble travelling with a coach built, we were only going to stay a couple of nights after the Malvern show but came across a holiday rally at Crickhowell it was such a pretty place lovely local shops selling all home grown produce a river running through and a canal up above which was good for walking along - we saw 3 kingfishers and 2 owls close up and lots of canal boats going along there is a site Riverside in town but better still a CL with electric on the B road at the bottom of crickhowel. you look at the Black Mountains one side and the Brecon Beacons the other. It is definitely a area worth visiting and very tourist friendly.

Also in the MMM Motorhome Park guide free with this months Mag it gives One night parking at Crickhowlell at the bottom of page 13. It is a area we will return to again. Carol.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks everyone! :-D

have rerouted sat nav via shifnal/telford to avoid B roads :-D and there is a park and ride at Ludlow so may use that.......... will be interesting to see the Wye valley as well. but the weather looks challenging!

will I be able to pick up croissants along the way?

Hi Judge, in Brecon Town go down to the lower end of town and visit the Royal Welsh Boarderers Musium at their barracks, Zulu etc. park by the canal basin can go walkies along the tow path. The cathedral up the top end of town is very impressive plus nice restaurant. Sometimes there is room in the cathedral car park for a moderate size motorhome. It is an old town so streets are quite narrow, but wide down by the barracks. The town car was the cattle market years ago so plenty of space to park there plus a supermarket, Asda I think.

Archived