fiat again

derek pringle

Swift are riding shotgun with Fiat on this (what options have they?) but I've not heard of any problems with the 3 litre auto.

Only time will tell though, and its a shame that consumers generally (or motorcaravannesr specifically) can't support each other by boycotting companies which don't give adequate after sales service or treat their customers like thinking beings.

Hi Andy,

Sorry,but it sounds as though you think i have done a disservice to other motorhomers by buying a Swift under the present cloud.

My wife and i ordered our motorhome purely on layout and were totally unaware of any controversy at the time,in fact we only seen the model for 5 minutes and obviously nobody on the stands at shows tells you any bad points.

We ordered in March and then started to buy magazines etc.(it is our first motorhome) to learn and read articles/gain info. and such). This is when we first learnt anything about fiat problems, through the MMM mag in fact. maybe you would say it is totally the wrong way to go about such a purchase on impulse and I must admit had i known the facts the story would probably be very different but I would be the last person to not ignore what was happening to people in this situation given the recorded responses of fiats attitude. sorry if you thought I had a selfish attitude but nothing could be further from the truth.

Thank you for your help in trying to solve problems posted

cheers

derek

Derek,

I don't think anyone (?) out here thinks that you are selfish, a bit impulsive maybye (He He !). The problem is that quite a few owners of these models (X250 Sevels) are saying that the problem has been blown up out of proportion, and think that everyone should keep quiet about their reversing problems incase it harms the resale value of their van. Understandable but that IS SELFISH, and a bit like 'The Emperor's new clothes, everyone Knew he was naked,but were too frightened to say anything' ?? incase the Tailor got his head chopped off ?

Well,I don't think the CEO of Fiat should have his head chopped off,

but I do think that ALL of the failing vans should get NEW improved/Fixed gearboxes, before they even think of bailing out GM/Chrysler.

I don't own one of the affected vans,Luckily I read this Forum quite often and therefore, because of Andy's problems knew all about it , But I am still looking for a van, in what now is a very restricted market (NO X/250's in the list).

My Wife 'does' layout, I do quality testing and vehicle reliablity/longevity

(I hold the 'Veto' as I am the only driver). Apparently Swift and other converters are still selling plenty of their X/250 vans. I feel sorry for all the unsuspecting buyers who WILL face problems in the future, but i don't think think they are selfish. Just uninformed. :D :D

No, I don't think that buying a Swift is doing us a disservice, because they are caught up in this like everyone else, but buying a Fiat - well that is a different matter.

Though we all know that if you want a new van at the moment then the choices are very limited if Fiat are taken out of the equation.

I think my previous posting was a bit sanctimonious really, and impractical, but, this is the joy of the forums is it not?

Hi Derek. For what it is worth we have the 3l auto Fiat in an Autotrail Tracker EKS and it drives (and reverses up hill) like a dream. As Andy says it seems these have been spared the problem. Some will say the auto merely masks the problem and the clutch will not last. We bought for layout and size so we will take our chances on the clutch. Delighted with Autotrail quality and how few problems we have had with our new van purchased on 1st May and now with 3500Kms on the clock.

Roy Fuller

Hi,

It's not just the U.K. magazines, though MMM is an honorable exception that's not making waves about the Fiat reversing problem. As a subscriber to the French magazine Camping-car I have seen only one passing reference to the problem. It really is a shame about Fiat as they did seem to tick a lot of the boxes for motorhome conversions; lowered and wider track and cab cutaway to name a few but to get the same water ingress problems and now the gearbox/clutch problem and then to be reluctant to own up to the problem is simply unacceptable and I for one will not be buying into the current range new or used which does tend to limit my choices somewhat. I'm off to France in the morning so I'll be asking around to see if the problem is generally understood in France by the average campingcariste.

Bill Ord

Archived