Crank-Up

CISCO

Hi,

After a lot of looking at Sat Dish facilities we have purchased the crank up CAMOS Plus (twin LNB) D2263. All the fun of storage setting up the tripod/folding dish has had its day.

I’ve, hopefully covered all the safety and practical issues about its location. Before I get drill happy I was wondering if anyone had fitted one or similar and had any tips, which would be greatly appreciated. Particularly how to achieve that snug fit of the Crankshaft and Rotation handle. (is it likely that these have to be reduced in length) I plan to use at least one of the two supplied Ceiling Support Plates. I have yet to establish the thickness of the roof (Laika 7r) but btb approx two and quarter inches.

The two adhesives that are available, both of which look to do the same job, are Sikaflex 512 or Soudaseal 240 FC. Been advised before applying adhesive to clean area first with White Spirit followed by Methylated Spirit.

The digital box is a Humax Foxsat HDR and an Avtex 193D. Tested indoors using the other two feeds from our quad Dish to compare against $ky SD/HD. Our choice but we had to reduce the picture saturation on the Avtex down (between 30-35) with other settings (50-55) resulting in the best picture we’ve had from a LCD.

CISCO

This isnt going to be the most helpful answer, bu their is a very good report on installing one of these, with photos, carried out by a non preofessional installer, including a description of how to measure and cut to length the crank and rotation spindles (they are different lengths0.

The unhelpful bit - I've forgotten how I found it, but as I was going to get one myself I can only have found the article either at Camos site or by googling 'camos crank up'.

Good luck, and I would like to know how you get on as I chickened out, but have refused to pay £ 235 to have one fitted.

Hi there Cisco,

Like yourself, after using a tripod and Sky minidish for several years and umming and ahhing for the latter half of that over buying a crank-up dish, I finally fitted a Camos Crank-up 2 weeks ago to my Hobby 650.

I have one or two points to make, specifically in response to your particular queries relating to the derriere clenching business of drilling the hole through the roof.

Firstly, I would recommend the drilling of a pilot hole, followed by using the hole saw alternately from both sides in order to get a nice clean cut to the exposed surfaces.

Secondly - and this is most important - ensure that you drill through at a perfect 90 deg angle to the roof. If you do not, then once assembled, the various parts will not fit together perfectly. I had to pay particular attention to this aspect as the GRP Hobby roof is curved and also has a curved ceiling to the inside. Most camper roofs and ceilings are flat and parallel but if the Kreos roof is curved where you plan to mount the antenna, then you will have to plan exceptionally carefully. Furthermore, if your roof is curved or sloping, then try to site the antenna on the flattest, most level available part of it so that you do not design in any unnecessary artificial skew.

Having said all that, and notwithstanding that I have yet to take a long trip to test the antenna, it works remarkably well and 'finds' quickly once you get the feel for it. Even when the van is stood on my sloping drive and a heavy artificial skew is induced, I have yet to have a signal of less than 70% including in a heavy rainstorm. Hitting the satellites (FTA box) seems to very flexible indeed and you may only need to adjust the skew at the outer limits of a footprint.

I also used a Soudal adhesive (on recommendation). It has yet to stand the test of time so i'll reserve judgement on whether the recommendation is sound as I have never used it before. It seems ok but I will observe it closely over the next few weeks travel.

The other critical issue, briefly mentioned by you, is that of the cutting of the winder shaft. May I suggest that you leave this until the very end and then measure and cut it when everything else is assembled in situ. It would be very easy to cut this too short.

If you have any other questions, PM me if you wish and I will be happy to help.

You may find this article to be helpul http://articles.campervanstuff.com/articles_live/START_page.html

Regards, Nobby

Hi little jack,

Same with me - had to left click and scole over article. Then copy to clip board. Open up MS Word and Paste. Once in Word change the print to 14

point, saved as doc and printed copy.

Rgds - CISCO

Job done. The drilling and sticky bits yesterday and the internals today. The advice particularly the 2mm extra OFF the plastic shaft of the Rotation Handle for clearance and 5mm extra ON the Metal Crank Shaft was spot on. Unless you do not have the space I would always use at least one Ceiling Support Plate (whatever the thickness of the roof) The one I used (the other smooth surfaced one is for strength if required) allowed the Graduation Disc to move freely. (as I believe it should)

After drilling the hole in the roof and exposing its construction I’m even more pleased we choose this lightweight product. Its operation is surprisingly easy to use and my first twiddle was just to see how much everything moved. During this it readily locked onto 013e/1450 filled all the signal/quality boxes. Then 041d/0001 not quite as strong, finally onto 07d4/0002 (Sky). (70% fill but believe I can tweak this higher) Early days but first impressions are great.

The Antenna came with the skew set a 5 deg. I reset this to zero (level) during installation and have not reset it. As first attempt locked without problem and our drive slopes, I intend to leave it at zero until time or circumstances suggest otherwise.

Thanks again for tips.

Rgds - CISCO

Hi little jack,

Using a (New) 38mm ring cutter, drilling from both sides via the pilot hole, produced a sandwitch plug 35mm thick. I might mention that I used a drilling block to keep the pilot hole straight. The internal board (3mm) has 3 layers, I was going to say 3 ply but I’m not sure if the middle darker layer isn’t what is keeping the other two layers together. Whatever, they all measure approx 1mm. The layers are as hard as each other and do not appear to be wood. The outer single layer (2mm) again hard and could well be acrylic. These are separated by (30mm) of what I can only describe as polystyrene or expanded foam very securely stuck to each board.

Using a variable speed drill, starting slow to ensure a clean edge, first through the roof board. Second, from inside upwards, at no time use any serious pressure. Once through each respective board the internal material offers no resistance whatsoever. Tested the roof for cables etc.. and you can just make out the cross members although a 6m Low Profile van does not have any great areas that look unsupported. I don’t go up very often. Extended visits (clean/polish) I use a kneeling board.

The Technical Details that came with our CAMOS only stated 1 LNB, ours was the twin.. I did not make the stated 13mm diameter hole through the roof for the coaxial, cable, instead I made two 7.5mm holes, one for each cable, (tight fit) suitable spaced to fit the supplied double cable entry box.

I pencilled the outline of both the unit foot and the cable box and lightly abraded all surfaces which received the adhesive using a (Medium 150 SandBlaster - Wall Sanding Sponge).

Rgds CISCO

Just returned from outing (Canterbury - CCC)

They said they have had very little rain.

All areas neat and tidy not a grass cutter to be seen, OH !

except for the army of Rabbits from early evening onwards.

Can report the Camos Plus (Twin) married to a Humax Foxsat PVR

did all that was expected. Nine (9) turns up, point at required Sat.

(Astra 2D). A minute at the most – some weaker signals required

a tweak (fraction up and the smallest left/right turn that’s available).

Dish remained up for duration of visit.

Trips/Evenings out/Visitors - miss a programme !

not anymore, (PVR) all recordings a success.

Definitely in my value for money list – Tks Camos

CISCO

Archived