Professional "Waxoil" opinions please

mike 202

I have a one year old Autosleeper coachbuilt on a Mk7 Ford chassis, which I intend to keep for a long time. So is it a good idea to get one of the £600 professional "waxoil" or similar treatments done or is it a waste of good money. The van is stored in the open and not under cover in the winter.

Any advice on which company to use will be much appreciated. I live in the Portsmouth area.

Thanks Mike

mike 202 - 2009-08-30 8:25 AM

I have a one year old Autosleeper coachbuilt on a Mk7 Ford chassis, which I intend to keep for a long time. So is it a good idea to get one of the £600 professional "waxoil" or similar treatments done or is it a waste of good money. The van is stored in the open and not under cover in the winter.

Any advice on which company to use will be much appreciated. I live in the Portsmouth area.

Thanks Mike

Mike, I have never had a M/H waxoiled, never keep them long enough, but I used to import vehicles from Japan. Because they do not have the same rusting problems as we do and most are very low mileage they do not have the same degree of rust protection as the ones imported or built within the EU. I always got them treated and had a Nissan Skyline myself for a few years which was treated and never had a rust problem with it. £600 seems a little high but would assume this includes a good clean of the underside of your own van, the imported ones we had were always like new underneath so never needed this. I would only bother if your van chassis was starting to show a few rust spots and original protection was starting to break down.

I always use Waxoyl on new cars and the MH. Buy a gallon of the black one and stand it in a bucket of hot water and shake until very hot and runny. Keeping it in a bucket of hot water fix the hand pump available from Halfords or wherever and get cracking . Costs pennies and you can get the brown Waxoyl to do in the joints but keep it hot and put the entire pump in the hot water to keep it free-flowing.

dikyenfo - 2009-08-30 3:27 PM

I always use Waxoyl on new cars and the MH. Buy a gallon of the black one and stand it in a bucket of hot water and shake until very hot and runny. Keeping it in a bucket of hot water fix the hand pump available from Halfords or wherever and get cracking . Costs pennies and you can get the brown Waxoyl to do in the joints but keep it hot and put the entire pump in the hot water to keep it free-flowing.

Did try this once, very messy. Out of curiosity why on new cars Alec, most have at least a ten year rust warrenty these days.

Had our Duetto 2001 transit mark 6 waxioled when we bought it 3 yrs ago. Had it done profesionally by my local garage but cannot say how much it costs because it was done when we had other bits and bobs done at the same time. If you intend keeping the van for a few years, like we are, then it's well worth it.

Regards,

Jenian.

All the box sections on a Transit are treated anyway; at least they are on mine and I've had it since new. If you put waxoil on top of existing wax treatment then no useful purpose would be served. If you put waxoil on top of underseal the underseal will soften and again there seems little point. My Transit (Autosleeper) is now 7 years old and the chassis and underneath is as good as new. I live slap bang on the coast and the vehicle is left out in the open and to my shame its only used for 4 months of the year in France and Spain.

I am not aware of any Mk6 or Mk7 Transit's rusting in a place where wax would be injected.

Waxoil is OK for Classic car restoration jobs and for older vehicles but for modern day vehicles there seems little point. Having restored a couple of classic and older cars as well as having spent a number of years in the motor trade I also think that the value of Waxoil is often overstated but I have used it anyway.

My advice is don't bother.

I have been using waxoyl on all my cars and motorhomes over the last 20 years. After buying them, I spend a weekend cleaning and waxoyling.

It is a very mucky job to do at home, Jacking up the vehicle and supporting it on axle stands first. I then apply the Waxoyl by spraying using a compressor.

The wax has kept my vehicles in very good condition. It needs minor touching up every couple of years. The MOT testers have always commented on the condition of them.

I do all my own maitenance and hate working on rusty cars. It helps to get a better price when you come to sell. We are changing our motorhome soon and I have already bought more Waxoyl for it.

If you are intending to keep your van I would cetainly recommend getting it treated.

John

Have never paid to have it done myself, but:

Our previous MH was a Euramobil coachbuilt overcab, on a Peugeot J5 van base/chassis.

It was a 1992 vintage, originally registered in Germany, imported into the UK in about 2005. We bought it in 2007.

When we bought it, it had covered about 120,000 kms.

We ran it for another 18 months before trading up to a bigger vehicle. It's still trundling round the Costa Blanca and further afield with its new owner now.

Reason for mentioning it in response to your question is that it had been waxoyled from new (either in the vehicle assembly factory, or as part of the MH build on the new chassis by Euramobil).

There was no rust on the vehicle.

I don't mean there were no rust holes.

I mean there was NO rust ANYWHERE on the vehicle.

Nothing underneath, nothing in the engine bay, nothing behind the headlights, nothing under the wings or inside the sills.

Not even patches of surface rust.

I was utterly astonished at the immaculate state of the vehicle and chassis body.

There may have been other factors also contributing to its excellent state (no salt on German roads?), but after 17 years of Northern European use to have no rust at all was fantastic.

If I was buying a new/almost new new vehicle now, I'd very likely get it totally waxoiled (inside chassis members etc as well as just the obvious parts), and then add a few more coats in the "high risk" areas myself too.

If you are planning on keeping the MH for many years, I reckon that the (say) 500 quid cost to have it done will pay back eventually.

Maybe this is a "nibble" that a prospective buyer can ask a dealer to arrange as a part of the negotiation on buying a MH (as VAT registered dealer can claim the VAT element of the price of such a treatment back; and can possibly negotiate a significantly lower bulk price than an individual punter).

Seems an absolutely excellent treatment, but I guess the real key is how well/thoroughly it is actually applied.

There has been a suggestion in other treads and forums that applying underseal (black waxol?) to the wooden floor of a motorhome may result in rot as the water can get trapped between the wood and the underseal. I believe some Swift motorhomes have recently been experiencing floor rot and this has been suggested as a possible cause.

Hi,

My understanding is that Waxoyl will "lift" water, and get down to the metal ...... which may not be a good idea if water is trying to get out of wood. ????

I further understand that Waxoyl never completely hardens, so any scratches are self-healing.

Archived